• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator fan shroud.. I'm embarrassed LOL

kaj750

Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
So... I'm trying how to Tetris this thing on.. I have a 440 in a '69 Charger. Do I need to move the radiator support to get the shroud on? If I lift the radiator, I can't slide it down because the shroud hits the fan. I can't pull the fan because then I can't install the fan because it will be inside the shroud.
I'm feeling really dumb right now LOL.
I'm told the radiator is custom, though it looks OEM. One-piece shroud. Pic attached for reference.
Please help me stop being dumb. Thanks, in advance.

20230910_134127.jpg

your not dumb, If its factory correct Fan comes off and shroud on then bolt fan. Fan only needs to be 1/3 in shroud.

Rad out. Shroud placed down and over fan. Rad back in and shroud attached to rad. That's the easiest way. Seeing the rad is already in, pull the fan. Attach shroud and then fight to get your hands back in to reinstall the fan.

Been awhile since I did this but here’s what I remember,
- Radiator out of car
- Put fan on
- Lay shroud over fan up against engine
- Put radiator in
- Attach shroud to radiator now

Take the top rad. hose off. Remove the fan. Then put the shroud over the water pump area. Then you should have enough room to install the fan the shroud to the radiator. Know it is a tight fit, but it takes patens. Good luck.

Thank you for all the replies!
Remove fan, shroud in and over water pump, cut up my arms reattaching fan, move shroud towards radiator to mount.
I knew I was missing something.

I must be getting older. I used to be able to figure this stuff out on my own LOL
I got spoiled with all of my modern cars and there fans AND shrouds already attached to the radiator.

THANKS, AGAIN!

Update:

Radiator has to come out as bolts for the fan are too long to remove; they hit the radiator. It's okay. Probably not a bad idea to quick flush the cooling system anyway.

That could be a problem. Can you levee the bolts in the fan and slide everything out. That is how I have to do mine. I do have a two-inch spacer. On my fan.

Radiator doesn't have to come out, take the fan off then put the shroud over the front of the motor. The bolts for the fan and spacer can be left in so it would be much easier to mount fan on. I've done it like that several times.

You have to remove the fan in order to install the shroud.

This is the reason why I bought a 68 Charger shroud, it’s a two piece metal one. You can take it on and off with everything still mounted.

Update:

Radiator has to come out as bolts for the fan are too long to remove; they hit the radiator. It's okay. Probably not a bad idea to quick flush the cooling system anyway.
Why do you have to take the bolts ALL the way out ? just back them off to remove the fan. Put the shroud over the front of the engine, re-install the fan. Bolt shroud on radiator.

Why do you have to take the bolts ALL the way out ? just back them off to remove the fan. Put the shroud over the front of the engine, re-install the fan. Bolt shroud on radiator.
It's easy to undo the fan bolts with the radiator in place. You can keep the bolts in the fan and spacer as a unit when you take it off.

Don't confuse "lack of experience" or "being out of the game for a while" with being dumb. You'll get it. More than one way to skin the cat here as you've been advised. Soon enough you'll be coaching folks on doing this same thing.

This is the reason why I bought a 68 Charger shroud, it’s a two piece metal one. You can take it on and off with everything still mounted.

I did not know that so i did a quick google search. On first glance it appears that for 1968 only the 22" shroud consists of 2 pieces. The 26" shroud is still a one piece unit, right?
If true than that's still a pro if you have a 22" but not if you have a 26" radiator.

I love the fact that there was a 2 piece metal unit in 1968. Wish they used these on all cars.
I mean not only is my 1969 26" shroud 1 piece but it's also plastic and with that prone to cracking with age.

Last edited:

I'd definitely go that route if it fit. Two pieces makes so much more sense.

Because I'm running out to the car, running into problems, then basically, quitting and moving on the other things due to lack of time to use common sense skills and get things done.
If I would just stay in the garage for a few minutes I would be able to come up with stuff on my own.
Time has been short lately, so I definitely appreciate all the help.
I can't wait for my schedule to go back to normal so I can quit bugging all you guys lol

Auto Transport Service
Back