• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Problem

Baydo

Local time
11:56 PM
Reaction score
Here's the quickstory, went to dream cruise, overheated, mmeasured my weak *** radiator, its only 19" wide, I have new cap, new water pump, flushed out, new thermostat. Still over heated after minutes. Its a 1966 Coronet 318 Poly THE QUESTION will a 1979 360 Magnum radiator fit correctly in my coronet? HELP! The guy only wants $40

Attachments

• IMG_20150816_134153.jpg
    IMG_20150816_134153.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Is this the first time it has over heated? Have you tried back flushing the cooling system? Why the radical change to the cooling system if this is it original arrangement? You need to find the problem and fix it instead of just repaplacing parts. And no the $40 radiator will not fit the hoses are in the wrong positions and your core support would have to be modified. Possibility the battery would have to be moved.

I bought it 3 years ago, this is first week I had it on the road, Thank you for your reply I love the advice I receive on B Body, I'm curious why you think a larger radiator wouldn't fit? Some 66 hard top came stock with Hemi,s?they had the bigger radiators, I can't see Mopar making custom anything. I think the radiator I have is out of a six cylinder, I know of no 318 Poly coming with a 19" radiator? .....Thoughts

Did it happen at idle? Can't see if there is a shroud. Does it have the thermal fan.

That doesn't look like the original radiator. Yours should be the round top style. Your water pump should have the lower hose on the driver's side. Do you have a spring in the lower radiator hose? They are known to collapse. May need to check the opening temperature of the thermostat. They seem to vary a lot from their stated opening temp. Which one did you use? Shroud would help a lot.

In still have an original 66 poly block radiator and it looks nothing like what you have. Put the right one in and solve the problem. Also do not think these came with shrouds in 66.

Check to make sure thermostat is not in backwards.

180, I'm going to try to cram a 26" in there...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I agree, I'm pulling it out and putting in a 26" Thanks!

Still don't know if you have a shroud or clutch fan.

Did the over heating just start or is this a on going issue? I would first use a infrared gun and look for hot spots in the block and heads. Then check the rad for cold spots to make sure that you do not have a clog. Before spending money make sure that the rad is the is the issue.

I have had blocks that have had caked passages even after a flush and the only way that it was found was by using a infrared gun.

A little more info on when is started happening and was it accuring at idle or going down the road would be helpful.

Thanks
James

I have the same problem in my 64 with a 22" rad. It's fine driving but idling in the heat during Moparfest in New Hamburg was brutal. I had to leave early to avoid the lines.
At least in your 66 you have an opening for a possible 26" rad. I'd start there, then shroud and fan. I'm replacing my fan with a 7 blade which should help a bit but the system probably just need a good flushing. The poly is coming out soon so I plan to install an aluminum rad for the big block. I don't believe my current 22" 2 core will do the job.

Good idea using the IR gun. I'll pick one up and see where the heat difference are. I wish I still had access to an thermographic camera I once did!

Auto Transport Service
Back