• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator shot

You’ll never go wrong with a Glen Ray radiator!

I have just recently been through the radiator "war" on my 1967 GTX. It is a 440/automatic. I had radiator out and cleaned a couple times and it did not help. I believe gone are the days when they would pull tanks and rod the core ....now it is just boil them to clean. Maybe there are shops that would still disassemble and rod them but it is going to cost for their labor. I finally had a new core installed in mine. It was pricey but worth the money as it works great and it still looks like an original radiator should. I am just not a fan of the look of aluminum but you can paint them and prices are more friendly.
I have a 67 X auto also. Had my radiator core replaced also with 4 row core at Sid’s Radiator in Lafayette LA. An old school radiator shop that’s been around for 40 years or more. Tried to rod it out but punched a couple pin holes in the 3 row core. It runs 15-20 degrees cooler. Like you I am not a fan of the aluminum look. Big price difference though.

I just got my radiator from Glen-Ray in Wisconsin. You can't go wrong having them rebuild your radiator.

My vote would be to keep the
The radiator is leaking & looks shot on my 1962 Fury with a 318 Poly. Searched and they want big bucks for a replacement. Any advice on a possible aluminum replacement or am I going have to get robbed for a new one.

When it rains, it pours.
original one and have a reputable radiator shop recore and rebuild it. I've used this service three times here in Minneapolis, and have had excellent results.

I just picked mine up from the shop. Repaired some cracks checked it all out and painted 120 dollars. Too bad your not in Jersey

That is pretty.
Yeah. I ordered the same rad from these guys just now. Looks exact Except it’s the one for the 318 poly, auto trans. Did lots of reasoning and math, it’ll fit good and I’ll not get rolled by the high dollar rip offs out there.

My 62 radiator came from Griffin, yes its pricey, but does the job without issues. It was only a little less than a Glenn-Ray and looks original, just without numbers. View attachment 1442613View attachment 1442614
I went off your recommendation for the Griffin some time ago and it does a great job and fits with some minor drilling for new mounting points in the ears. Yeah it's expensive but worth it to me for not having to battle cooling issues here in central FL. I got the shroud with the two electric fans they offer as well, they are beasts.

Chuck (snook)

Yep, I just ordered one from these guys.
So there ya have it! Problem solved at a fraction of the cost! Keeps it cool as a cucumber! Looks better than the old one I think.

image.jpg

I just picked mine up from the shop. Repaired some cracks checked it all out and painted 120 dollars. Too bad your not in Jersey
Which shop in nj? I'm in ny and i may have mine recored.

I have just recently been through the radiator "war" on my 1967 GTX. It is a 440/automatic. I had radiator out and cleaned a couple times and it did not help. I believe gone are the days when they would pull tanks and rod the core ....now it is just boil them to clean. Maybe there are shops that would still disassemble and rod them but it is going to cost for their labor. I finally had a new core installed in mine. It was pricey but worth the money as it works great and it still looks like an original radiator should. I am just not a fan of the look of aluminum but you can paint them and prices are more friendly.
3C4D58D3-E43E-4EAF-B8FD-FA873B5C7E49.jpeg

Just pick up my 67gtx re cord radiator. An antique car restore shop In Highland New York

Contact Us – Antique Radiator Blog

BB87C5A9-9189-475C-878D-59F0F78BC7B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Acquired a new rad for my runner. It was not that bad on price. You have to think of how long your radiator has been around and they do break down after many years of use. Rotted cores is the biggest problem. I also live in Fl. All the rad shops are gone around here. I searched the net for a new radiator and figured a new one was the way to go. It should last you a lifetime and be done with it.

Put a in-line screen / filter up-stream of that new radiator when installed to keep random debris from clogging your new radiator. I just make my own by using 1/8" mesh stainless steel screen. And it's surprising what it catches. Mostly bits of silicone and other unidentified swarf.

Seriously folks. Where the hell do you think Glen Ray gets cooling cores. Any radiator shop has access to the same supply. Are shops few and far between in todays throw away society, sure they are, but they're still out there... even in my one horse Ontario town!
We have more than one horse here in Aylmer (Amish community north of town), but I still got my '64 radiator recored to 3 row, here in town. About $450.00 Can.( I think that's about $80.00 U.S. LOL).

Yep Dave, I had mine redone in 2017 with a total new core for $400. Lad that went to high school with my Son owns the shop now and he does nothing but "new" stuff, and is making a fortune with warehouses full of stuff, but his 75+ year old Father still comes in to the original radiator shop to keep us classic guys happy!

Auto Transport Service
Back