Radiator Shroud - Did it come on a 383 x '69 Bee?

Heating, Cooling & AC

1. dadsbee

dadsbee FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:01 AM
    My '69 Bee, 383 x 4 gear with 22" -053 radiator. Fixed 7 blade fan. I can't remember back to the teen days of what we may or may not have removed. Would my car have originally come STANDARD with a radiator shroud?

I just picked up another 053 radiator that is nicely cored with a 3 row exchanger and noticed it has captive nuts on the end plates for a shroud. Wanting to know if a shroud would have been OE, so I can find one before I swap radiators.
    radiator053 006.JPG radiator053 014.JPG radiator053 011.JPG

2. Lionized

Lionized Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:01 PM
    I believe just the 26" (HD cooling) came with a shroud.
    Not 100% positive on this though.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • 91r/t

91r/t FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      12:01 AM
      They had a shroud for 22" radiator cars, but it was a steel 2 piece unit. Not sure what constituted getting it though because A/C or Max cooling automatically got you the 26" radiator. I've only seen a few in my years of looking at the 22" radiator cars as most run the standard 7 blade fixed and no shroud.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • dadsbee

Local Time:
        Thanks, I don't remember one one on the car, know they are available and if it was standard I'll put one on to make the car correct. I hate working around rad shrouds and have never had a cooling issue with the car, even with a 2 row OE radiator. Just figured if I'm going to swap in the 3 row I just got it's time for the shroud to go on as I do it being one piece. I've found some NOS shrouds, seems '69 was one piece.

• 91r/t

91r/t FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        12:01 AM
        I'm not sure if they were standard. I am thinking not as alot of cars I've seen unrestored did not have them. Always been a mystery to me why and when they got a shroud.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • 69bfan

69bfan FBBO Vendor FBBO Sponsor

Local Time:
          Corey and Wayne, the steel version of the 22 inch fan shroud was used from 1962 through 1968 on the B-Body applications with both small and big blocks. I have no clue as to the logic on which cars got the shroud, but it seems that on the earlier cars, 62-65, it was a performance axle package deal or the cars with max cooling. The fiberglass shroud, 2949 130, was the 69 version used on the 69 B-Bodies with a 22 inch radiator and the 440 engine. So you would not see the 2949 130 shroud on a 383 69 B, but never say never.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • dadsbee

Local Time:
            Thanks Richard, I knew '69 was the one piece plastic/fiberglass and not the '68 back steel 2 piece just didn't know if the 383 Bee would have got one. I do not remember one ever being on my car, but my brain ain't what it use to be either. The 053 rad I have in the car has no shroud bracket nuts, the one I just got does. Guess it came out of a 440 car, since the same rad was used in both for '69. Thanks for clearing it up, saves me some $$$'s and I hate shrouds to start with..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.