• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Shroud - Did it come on a 383 x '69 Bee?

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
My '69 Bee, 383 x 4 gear with 22" -053 radiator. Fixed 7 blade fan. I can't remember back to the teen days of what we may or may not have removed. Would my car have originally come STANDARD with a radiator shroud?

I just picked up another 053 radiator that is nicely cored with a 3 row exchanger and noticed it has captive nuts on the end plates for a shroud. Wanting to know if a shroud would have been OE, so I can find one before I swap radiators.
radiator053 006.JPG
radiator053 014.JPG
radiator053 011.JPG

I believe just the 26" (HD cooling) came with a shroud.
Not 100% positive on this though.

They had a shroud for 22" radiator cars, but it was a steel 2 piece unit. Not sure what constituted getting it though because A/C or Max cooling automatically got you the 26" radiator. I've only seen a few in my years of looking at the 22" radiator cars as most run the standard 7 blade fixed and no shroud.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't remember one one on the car, know they are available and if it was standard I'll put one on to make the car correct. I hate working around rad shrouds and have never had a cooling issue with the car, even with a 2 row OE radiator. Just figured if I'm going to swap in the 3 row I just got it's time for the shroud to go on as I do it being one piece. I've found some NOS shrouds, seems '69 was one piece.

I'm not sure if they were standard. I am thinking not as alot of cars I've seen unrestored did not have them. Always been a mystery to me why and when they got a shroud.

Corey and Wayne, the steel version of the 22 inch fan shroud was used from 1962 through 1968 on the B-Body applications with both small and big blocks. I have no clue as to the logic on which cars got the shroud, but it seems that on the earlier cars, 62-65, it was a performance axle package deal or the cars with max cooling. The fiberglass shroud, 2949 130, was the 69 version used on the 69 B-Bodies with a 22 inch radiator and the 440 engine. So you would not see the 2949 130 shroud on a 383 69 B, but never say never.

Thanks Richard, I knew '69 was the one piece plastic/fiberglass and not the '68 back steel 2 piece just didn't know if the 383 Bee would have got one. I do not remember one ever being on my car, but my brain ain't what it use to be either. The 053 rad I have in the car has no shroud bracket nuts, the one I just got does. Guess it came out of a 440 car, since the same rad was used in both for '69. Thanks for clearing it up, saves me some $$$'s and I hate shrouds to start with..

Auto Transport Service
Back