• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio Delete details

1KoolBee

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
What are the special components for radio delete cars besides the dash bezel? Are the speaker grilles in dash blocked off? No antenna hole in fender?

No such thing as a radio "delete". Radio was an option...

Pending year, fender hole not punched or a fender plug put in place. Doubt the front dash was any different speaker hole wise, rear package tray wouldn't have had any speaker holes though.

Thanks but we’re the speaker grille holes in dash blocked with fiberboard or left open?

My ‘non-optioned’ radio car did not have anything blocking the grill hole on the dash.

The speaker hole(s) on the package shelf and the dash will exist, either way. It would've cost-prohibitive to stamp parts to cover every possibility of speaker combination. All of my Mopars have had two or three 6x9 rear shelf holes for speakers/rear defroster, even if they weren't equipped with such.

radio blockoff plate in the inst panel

Below the dash is simply no speaker. Nuttin special to block off the speaker area, except no speaker

No hole punched in pass side fender. And I would have to ck my car but I think the speaker wire lead hole behind the kick panel has a rubber/plastic plug in it

My 62 has the factory radio, dash speaker, three '6x9' holes punched in the package tray metal, 2 speakers 1 defrost, but the cardboard package tray has no holes punched in it.

My 67, no radio, dash block off plate, speaker grill in dash, fastback with nothing in rear, no hole punched in fender, no hole for an antenna wire.

On my ‘68 Bee, which was a no radio, a/c car, the package shelf had pre-punched holes in the sheet metal, but the fiberboard package tray was solid, no speaker vent slots, until some dumb-sh*t kid ( me) cut them out in 1979.

Wow, I learned something today. I never knew a cheap assed AM radio was and option. Figured it was base.
Ma Mopar sure knew how to pinch the pennies back in the day. :drinks:

If you're gonna put in a Kraco or Jensen why pay the $7.99 just to take it out?

My 62 has the factory radio, dash speaker, three '6x9' holes punched in the package tray metal, 2 speakers 1 defrost, but the cardboard package tray has no holes punched in it.

My 67, no radio, dash block off plate, speaker grill in dash, fastback with nothing in rear, no hole punched in fender, no hole for an antenna wire.
We have a 67 same as yours.

the fiberboard package tray was solid, no speaker vent slots, until some dumb-sh*t kid ( me) cut them out in 1979.
Not dumb. That was a common practice, more than not, back in the day. Besides throwing out factory steel wheels, a radio install was also a common install for us in the garage. OE radios and speakers were cheap garbage.

Agree. Brackets and clearly marked mounting points for options that were not installed are everywhere on these cars. Makes it relatively easy to add them later if desired.

I am going to put forward a new acronym: RNO. Radio Not Ordered. What do you think?
The 1969 Super Bee that I bought new was ordered by the dealership for inventory, without a radio. The salesman told me that whenever the dealership ordered a "hot car" (his words), for inventory, they never optioned a radio in it; this way the front fender would not be punched for an antenna. At the time, rear deck antennae were a fad, likely inspired by 1960's Corvettes. The salesman continued to say, that if I paid the option price, the dealership would install an AM radio and put the antenna wherever I wanted it. I marked a spot on the right rear fender, ahead of the Bumble Bee stripe with masking tape. I think I paid about $55.00 for the radio, and it was done.

You just described my 66. Factory/dealer AM jams, no fender hole but dual, 45 degree antennas in the rear.

On the 62s, optional light package had glovebox light, trunk light, and a not small red emergency brake light, bottom left on dash next to brake release.

They drilled a hole in the dash for the red light.
If you didn't order it, you wouldn't know it was 'deleted.'
Dash without option did not have a punch out or a plug.

Kind of debunks the <insert option here> 'delete.'

Auto Transport Service
Back