• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing an A.M. F.M. radio in a 1969 Super Bee with Rallye dash.

rww124

Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
On one of the corners on the back of my 1969 Super Bee A.M. radio there is a threaded metal stud which I am going to assume is to mount/secure the back of the radio to the underside of the dash however correct me if I am wrong. Is there anything besides the front bezel the only thing that secures the front of the radio to the dash? Also is there supposed to be some sort of felt or cushion that goes between the metal mounting straps and the gas tank or is factory to have metal to metal. Thank you.

IMG_2023-11-24-22-40-45-266.jpg

IMG_2023-11-24-22-40-12-017.jpg

2 bolts secure the front of the radio to the dash frame.

There is a strap welded in the dash the rear stud bolts to, or should be.

Strap to tank is bare metal. Why I've stated many times that a fuel sender should get a good ground just from the tanks securing J hooks and the lock ring jammed against the senders face plate.

2 bolts secure the front of the radio to the dash frame.
Thank you. Very hard to see if there are any holes in the front of the dash to put the bolts through with the textured dash material present. This is what the front of my dash looks like with the aftermarket stereo installed with it's faceplate removed.
1702062217970.jpeg

Thank you. Very hard to see if there are any holes in the front of the dash to put the bolts through with the textured dash material present. This is what the front of my dash looks like with the aftermarket stereo installed with it's faceplate removed. View attachment 1570413
Take out the 4 screws and lift the plate out. Might be a disaster behind that plate.

Thre should be screws that hold the face plate down. Remove them and see what they did to install that aftermarket radio.

Thank you. The three circled holes are to attach the factory bezel in place, I believe the aftermarket stereo just clips into it's own housing. This will have to be an experiment in determining if the factory holes are still present in the dash housing by removing the current stereo from the dash. If the factory holes have been cut out to accommodate the current stereo then I will not be able to install the factory radio.

With some creativity you can repair what ever was butchered to install the aftermarket radio.... At least a new bezel will hade a lot of sins..

With some creativity you can repair what ever was butchered to install the aftermarket radio.... At least a new bezel will hade a lot of sins..
True, the factory bezel does overhang the radio opening some.

Most DIN mounts for a modern radio have tabs that will lock it into a properly sized hole. The flange on the front of the mount is probably holding the bezel on. Someone hacked up the dash to get it in there…

Yep.. I'd leave the aftermarket radio and save 700 bucks Cdn on new bezels..

Kinda wishin that I'd left my aftermarket in place...
beerestoration2015 807.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 1343.JPG

Yep.. I'd leave the aftermarket radio and save 700 bucks Cdn on new bezels..

Kinda wishin that I'd left my aftermarket in place...
View attachment 1570672View attachment 1570673
I'm sure my dash has been cut in order for the aftermarket stereo to fit however won't know for sure until the current stereo is removed. I don't think I would have to purchase the entire Rallye dash package to correct the situation and am hoping the only piece required would be the radio bezel as pictured in the middle of the picture you have supplied although this is yet to be determined. If there are no holes on either side of the radio opening to put the bolts through and into the holes to the outside of the thumbdials to secure the radio's front and if there is no way of Magivering anything to replace the dash frame holes then yes as much as I don't like it the aftermarket stereo will have to stay.

Auto Transport Service
Back