• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio delete question

No A04 code. I am tempted to put a radio in it, but I’d actually prefer the novelty of the radio delete, especially if i can confirm it really was that way from the factory. Plus going with a restored radio, new speakers, wiring, etc that would match my restoration would be a lot more costly. If I want tunes I planned to put a Bluetooth speaker between the seats. That said I don’t feel really good about welding on a beautifully painted, perfectly good fender. So I’m really on the fence.

Forget radio delete....the novelty is in 4bbl delete, the 8.75 delete, dog dish delete and hood delete. Toss in A/C delete and auto pilot delete, that’s a sweet car!

I can tell you this - no number in the "Radio" section on the build sheet just means the car was built on the assembly line without a radio installed. For an E-body car (like my T/A) there would be a piece of black cardboard-type material under the center speaker grille on the dash and the fender would either be solid (no hole) or a plug at the antenna location. After being shipped to a dealership, any number of things could have happened. With my Challenger, the original buyer wanted a radio so it was installed pre-delivery by the dealership mechanics (I know this because my Uncle was the service manager at the local Dodge dealership back in the late 60's/early 70's and he prepped what is now my Challenger back when it was new in 1970.) A hole was drilled in the fender and the "delete" plate would have been cut open to accept a radio. A factory speaker would have been added to the dashboard as well. Like was stated earlier, if you have a factory speaker and an antenna hole, the car got a factory radio early on. If there are holes in your rear deck that look like they were cut out with a hand grenade and a couple of Jensen triaxles in there plus a Sparkomatic with 8-track in the dash, then I would say that was definitely a "day 2" thing. lol I am at the same crossroad with my Challenger resto as I know it was built without a radio but one was added before the original owner took delivery. I ended up putting a radio in it. Either way you do it, you won't be wrong.

R18 is search tune radio, not available in a B-body. The speaker holes were in the rear deck on every car. They were used for rear defrost mounting also.

The f Nader plug from factory was a later 70’s thing. He broadcast sheet tells th m what to drill in the car before it is painted. That screw in plug pictured above is pretty ugly on a correctly restored car. Just put in a radio and antenna now that the car is painted.

Mr111, are the rear speaker holes factory or cut in? The way to,tell is factory holes have a pressed lip surrounding them and 4 screw holes in the lip.

Look factory to me. I didn’t know there was any other way.
upload_2019-3-23_15-56-59.jpeg

The package tray sheet metal was factory stamped with the provisions for the rear speakers and defroster. Unless someone was doing something different for speakers, no need to cut the area.

On the A12 cars, it is not uncommon to find the antenna relocated to right rear quarter panel due to issues with interference coming from the engine compartment as the fiberglass hood did not help to isolate this issue. There was a Factory Service Bulletin that addressed the issue.

Many years ago, I ran across a car in which the car had the antenna, but no radio. I do not recall if it had a speaker. Supposedly the car was ordered in that fashion. Not sure if it was a factory mistake, but I know that it was not uncommon for cars not even being a couple weeks old back in the day that radios, tires and wheels, exhaust manifolds would be changed.

There is enough question as to the originality that I believe I’ll take the shortest path and put a radio in it. That said, now I need wiring, antenna, speakers, etc. restored or in excellent shape. Back on the hunt. My front speaker looks nearly brand new but needs reconed and a new surround. Everything else I need to find. Any recommendations are welcome.

Stock am radio, dash speaker only (aftermarket - let the next owner worry about it), wiring will all be in the stock harmess

Oh, if you want better sound and selection toss a rechargeable Bluetooth speaker in the back seat and play tunes from your phone

What aren't you understanding here? You do not have a car that's "Radio Delete".

Unless you have the window sticker or broadcast sheet Galen shouldn't be telling you what did or did not come on your car. Nearly every car was modified from the factory, and any option you see on the car could have been added at some point and time.

Auto Transport Service
Back