• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rallies or Cragar?

Here are Jegs "SportTorque" that I run on my '67 R/T. I think they look better on '60's cars than on '70's, though.

P2250127.JPG

P2010011.JPG

P7030090.JPG

If motor is stock — go with Rallye wheel (but 15-in.). The design mass of new fuselage body needs to be balanced by larger wheel/tire combination. If motor is ‘dressed-up’ with mods — switch to 15-in. Cragers. Key is to keep theme consistent. Nice ride!
That is a problem, my cragers have trouble hooking up(295/50-15)( 620tq and 585hp), I can only imagine the rallies.

Back when I grew up in the late `70`s (graduated `77) NOBODY had stock musclecars - everybody had aftermarket wheels, air shocks, added stripes, wings, stereos, custom paint, custom interiors and only little old ladys driving slant 6 Darts had steel wheels and dog dishes.
You also have to figure that back in the day we didn't have the rim choices like we do today.
Pic from 1978 below. Cragar SS on the Charger, Cragar SST on the Bird.

RR_Charger1.jpg

Sporting the ET Classic V this time around.
I always liked the Torque Thrust look. Just a mock up below, the front end is a little high, but you get the picture.

IMG_2746.jpg

You also have to figure that back in the day we didn't have the rim choices like we do today.
Pic from 1978 below. Cragar SS on the Charger, Cragar SST on the Bird.

View attachment 1571645

Sporting the ET Classic V this time around.
I always liked the Torque Thrust look. Just a mock up below, the front end is a little high, but you get the picture.

View attachment 1571646
As a fan of real supertricks, I HATED the sst's. Phony, heavy, rusty most of the time.
I know choices have improved with time, but your classic fives are 10,000% better than sst's.

each wheel gives the a car a different attitude. one is stocky cool, the other is moded cool . i agree they both look good and are both winners. run one set for awhile then switch out ur look …

Back when I grew up in the late `70`s (graduated `77) NOBODY had stock musclecars - everybody had aftermarket wheels, air shocks, added stripes, wings, stereos, custom paint, custom interiors and only little old ladys driving slant 6 Darts had steel wheels and dog dishes.
Yep, everyone did the same... as I said, you can't beat the inleashed masses. So if you want to be part of the herd, well just unpack your cragars, put them on your old school mopar and feel young again... :bananadance:and show them that you have them too!

Yep, everyone did the same... as I said, you can't beat the inleashed masses. So if you want to be part of the herd, well just unpack your cragars, put them on your old school mopar and feel young again... :bananadance:and show them that you have them too!
and now everyone puts on Rallyes or Steelies with dog dishes.

I have dog dishes for mine also. That originally was not a choice in the original post, but here is mine. They are now repainted and on my Roached Runner.

70RTSE1.jpg

20210530_123448.jpg

20210530_123505.jpg

As a fan of real supertricks, I HATED the sst's. Phony, heavy, rusty most of the time.
I know choices have improved with time, but your classic fives are 10,000% better than sst's.
Yeah but for a high school kid back in 78 they were the ****.
Chrome was flaking, no rust, I recently sold them for $50 a rim!

With custom back sets the classic Vs were 10,000% the cost too :drinks:

I like aftermarket wheels sometimes, but cragars have always been my least favorite.
There is a part of me thats growing to put some cragers on mine..
MY issue is storing multiple set of tires / rims when not in use.

A friend of mine has a brand new set of Keystone Classics on his gold 66 Satellite

From a sort of artistic point of view, the wheels like cragar and magnum have "triangles " which seem to be a great look on the earlier b bodies. The rallies and aluminum slots have "ovals" which to me look great on 71 plyms due to their beautiful "curves"...lol

Cragar SS wheels can be seen on every make & model of car while the Rallye wheels are limited to Mopars (and a few cheeky AMC owners). The Rallye is a much classier wheel IMO. If you were going to drag race the car, I would vote for the Cragars. Since you can't see both sides of the car at the same time, I agree with the post above for running one set on one side and the other set on the second side - how many folks will notice?

Auto Transport Service
Back