• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ram truck SLT to SRT in 329 easy steps!

I like the painted bumper covers too. I have the 05 Daytona and a 2014 Ram and prefer the painted bumper covers. Your truck looks good as is. But I understand the look you’re after. Good luck.

B6D2F3BD-1BFB-43AC-9B8B-C63B884836C8.jpeg

9B10EA99-6A44-4804-9146-9C5E9CC3C79E.jpeg

I figure that this truck has been good to me so it is worth the effort to me to make some changes to keep the spirit alive.
I don't want a new truck, even if it were free.
I like a shifter lever, not a knob.
I don't need any nanny state tech like automatic parking, crash avoidance that hits the brakes for me or anything like that.
The new trucks don't have CD players and I love the sound quality you can get with them VS MP3s.
I like the styling of the 3rd generation Dodge trucks from 2002 to 2008.
This one does look cool though....

Z Ram 5.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is another one in the same color:

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....I was a parts manager for an AMC/JEEP dealer. We were allowed a 5% return for unused/obsolete parts. This was typically during November prior to physical inventory count. The point of it was to get $$ off the books. The larger, current pieces (fenders, engine parts,etc) were returned to our depot. Most of the obsolete/superseded parts were directed to be "locally disposed" of.
Needless to say, nothing was ever thrown away and went into one of the storage buildings. When the dealership closed years later they were all bulldozed, and landfilled.
It still makes me sad thinking about all the NOS Rambler and Jeep parts that got trashed.

Tax story sounds far fetched. Hard to say why they were in a dump. I know some items when considered defective we would have to damage them to make them unusable. Ford had a big Firestone tire recall. We had to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the sidewall. They never wanted to ever see those tires back on the road.
I was there doing those.
(Somehow a few actually did make it back on the road :lol:)

I figure that this truck has been good to me so it is worth the effort to me to make some changes to keep the spirit alive.
I don't want a new truck, even if it were free.
I like a shifter lever, not a knob.
I don't need any nanny state tech like automatic parking, crash avoidance that hits the brakes for me or anything like that.
The new trucks don't have CD players and I love the sound quality you can get with them VS MP3s.
I like the styling of this generation Dodge trucks. This one does look cool though....
Big agree here. My '04 Hemi Ram has had some repainted spots due to accidents that are now peeling (modern clear coat is ****) but I still prefer it over a new truck as there's no GPS and no interfering electronic babysitter. The dial "shifter" so close to where the A/C knob was is another thing that puts me off the newer trucks. My plan is to rehab it as needed and keep it going...what the hell it's paid for!
That said, this is a cool thread Greg...I'll be following along to see how it turns out.

Last year some time, I found a truck in a junkyard that had a 3.92 diff gear. My truck came with 3.55s. I had my axle guy swap the 3.92s in and replace the pinion seal. The diff is a Sure Grip, factory installed in 2007.
Sometime years ago, I was looking at rear sway bar options. I found that a mid 90s Chevy Suburban used a bar that was so close in design, it looked as if it were made for these trucks.

2007 RSB 2.JPG

The mounting brackets attach to the axle in a spot that seems like it was intended to be...

IMG_2068.JPG

I just had to modify the end links to attach to the side of the frame. New Helwig bars were available for over $300. This was under $75 to install.

The picture is at axle droop...the bar tucks in close to the diff cover at ride height.

That's cool. Mine is a crew cab, bought new in '04 (I wanted a shorty but the wife put the kaibosh on that plan) and it came with the 3.92 and at one point I put 'upgraded' shocks on it, had the 5.7 tuned up and it would corner awesomely on the curvy foothill roads. Then I put a leveling kit from McGaughy's on it (they're local to me) and was much happier with how it sits and looks, but it doesn't quite handle like it did due to the lowered ***-end.
So the rear bar may be a nice upgrade for me too...and there's plenty of those chebbies in the yards down here!

I'll have to get better pictures but the Chevy bar simply attached to spots on the axle that have flat spots prime to mount the "D" mounting brackets.

I do like the look of them.
This truck came with this MOPAR bolt on fake scoop:

R2 6.JPG

R2 7.JPG

It is completely NON functional.
The legit SRT 10 hood looks so much cleaner....

SRT 10 E (2).jpg

It actually is somewhat non functional too in that underneath, while it is open, it connects to nothing.
It still looks great. If I find one at a fair price, I'd get it. I'm not willing to pay $1000 for one which is probably the going rate right now.

If I’m not mistaken, I think the diesel trucks came with rear sway bars. If they did, I’m curious if they’re beefier than 1/2 ton trucks

The 1500 series is what we used to call a 1/2 ton and used a Chrysler built 9 1/4” axle except for the SRT 10 models that supposedly used a Dana 60.
The 2500 and 3500 series used a much heavier axle made by some outside supplier. The frames are the same width but
They are probably taller for greater load capacity. The sway bars on those may be adapted to a lighter duty truck. I have not checked.

I got a call from the Dodge dealer….

5DC84085-7488-4067-A387-0851F64A0217.jpeg

Wow. This dude looks great!

B68D1296-5C7E-4C54-93C2-D6A498993986.jpeg

30990FEA-9F38-4129-80AB-7FAC8F137837.jpeg

Here is one thing I really like:

2E9DF009-9D35-4886-8AD2-4FCE4CE7EF0A.jpeg

NO holes for a front license plate!

The dealers here in California drill holes and put the plastic dealer ad plates and frames on before they are parked in the lot for sale.

94440E6C-4388-4450-85EB-22DDCDD1AF14.jpeg

Where I’m going, front plates are not required. I’ll run the risk of a ticket while I’m still here.

If you are going to paint that, or have it done, you'll need to first put some adhesion promoter on it after it's cleaned of release agents and then scuffed. If you put paint straight on it, there will be no adhesion. Ever see any paint peeling on bumper covers? Thats why. Not sure about non Cal paint but our crap does not have the adhesion properties of old.

Thank you, Carl.
Much of this is new to me. I appreciate suggestions like this and look forward to all helpful comments like yours.
I've done body and paint on steel cars but never fiberglass, aluminum or plastic stuff like these bumper covers. I trust those that have experience and intend to learn what I can from those helpful enough to provide guidance.

One thing that I noticed before....
The trucks factory equipped with the one piece SPORT front bumper cover have an open space that is covered with a thin black strip like so:

SRT 10 G - Copy (2).jpg

This replacement cover is open there:

R2 118.jpeg

The actual steel frame in the SPORT models is different so there may be some attachment point on those units to fasten the black strip.
I've seen numerous YouTube videos where guys have made bumper cover swaps like these and just left that section open. I'm not sure what I will do.

My 2004 Ram I bought new, is a Laramie Sport model
Only SRT parts missing are the Seats(Expensive)I do have Katzkins, Engine/Trans(5.7 is better mpg) and the 22” wheels( Expensive).
It has the SRT cluster, A pillar temp gauge, hood/bumper w/ducting, SRT larger brakes(same as 1 ton, except 5 lug, and a 05 SRT QC Dana with ridiculous 4.56 gears(wish I’d put 4.10’s(originally had the crap corporate rear with 3.91’s).
Added power passenger’s seat and dual climate control, as well as the SRT overhead console controller.

Eventually, might swap the wheels if I find a deal.
Current focus is on my 69 RTSE
And replacing the suspension on our 2008 SRT 8 Charger SuperBee.

IMG_2401.jpeg
IMG_2062.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back