• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant: I hate chrysler

Replacing motor mounts? Pfft.. piece of cake. You just need a decent arsenal of hand tools and a floor jack.
Now, do something stupid like I did a couple weeks ago when I stripped out 2 of my steering box mount nuts. Just finishing up the job of removing the k-frame and cutting it open to make the repairs.
There isn't any brand of car that is easy to make every repair on. Remember, these cars were only designed to last 10 years at the most. You still have one of the most desirable and best looking muscle cars ever made. Not only that, but if you did decide to sell, you will have a very nice profit from what you paid. I would bet your Charger appreciated far more than the Chevy you mentioned in your first post during the same time frame.
Agree, anybody wanting a Chevelle instead of a Charger don’t need a mopar in my book and I’ve had those cars. Z28, SS 396 Chevelle, Corvette..

Don’t feel bad.
Bo and Luke Duke did their own tuning, but had Cooter do all the mechanical. They still saved the day and got all the girls.
If you have headers, the plugs are easy to change from the top, just everything else is harder

Don’t feel bad.
Bo and Luke Duke did their own tuning, but had Cooter do all the mechanical. They still saved the day and got all the girls.
If you have headers, the plugs are easy to change from the top, just everything else is harder
Cooter.png

Let me tell you something: It was NOT a great idea to put a big block (440 in my case) in that (to) SMALL engine bay!

You can't reach ****.
There is almost no working room, kinda like a modern car.

Even something "simple" like changing spark plugs makes you want to scrap the car.

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful looking and driving car, comfy and nice with in my case a/c and even cruise control.
But the people that decided that this MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE is worth 90k in #3 condition must be OUT OF THEIR ******* MIND.

Why am i so mad?

Well i just spent 5 hours together with my dad trying to change the motor mounts.
We managed to change 1 (passenger side) and i'm not sure if it's possible to swap the driver side mount without pulling the engine. (even less working room)
Everytime we repair something on this car it's the same story: Almost no working room. Most of the time you can barely fit a wrench.

Not a great design from a maintenance point of view.
Look at my 72 cutlass supreme (It has an sbo but even the ones with bbo seem to have way more working room in pictures)
or look at a 70 chevelle (same platform), 69 camaro or 67 impala for example.
Those all seem to be way more maintenance friendly due to having more working room.

I don't know. I kinda spent 50k on this car to punish myself.
Could've bought a 70 chevelle ls6 for the same money at that point.
Yeah the mopars look the best and we've got the hemi (unfortunately i don't have a hemi personally) but i think the chevelle would be the better choice for the non masochist mechanic.

If you want a charger better get it with a slant 6.
Or hire your own personal pitiable creatures (mechanics) to do the work for you. (Like Jay Leno does)

I should do like hoovie from hoovies garage.
Make videos about how great these cars are and let someone else do the crappy work for me while making money at the same time. :D
LOL. first of all, all Olds v8s are the same block size, no big block, or small block designation. Second, a B body is not a small car. Mopar put big blocks in A bodies. B bodies are not tight. I can swap plugs in a B body big block in an hour. I can, (and have), swapped a broken driver side motor mount in the parking lot of the local parts store. Maybe its experience, or having right tools... but its not the car, its you.

LOL. first of all, all Olds v8s are the same block size, no big block, or small block designation. Second, a B body is not a small car. Mopar put big blocks in A bodies. B bodies are not tight. I can swap plugs in a B body big block in an hour. I can, (and have), swapped a broken driver side motor mount in the parking lot of the local parts store. Maybe its experience, or having right tools... but its not the car, its you.
Olds fans know better; just like there are low and tall deck versions of Chrysler engines (383 is lower deck than 440) there are low and tall deck Olds engines. The low deck versions included 260, 307, 330, 350 and 403 cubic inch sizes, the raised versions covered the 400, 425, 455 engines. Therefore, an Olds 350 is about two inches narrower and an inch shorter than a 400 or 455.

By the way, welcome. Nice first post.

You have at least the comforts of a concrete
driveway, A/C in the house (along with your
favorite brew) for break time, availability of
degreasers and clean rags to keep the
excess buildup of grease on your hands,
off.
To put this in perspective;
Try pulling the rear driveshaft off a CJ7
in the dirt, using only a pair of pliers.
110 degrees in the middle of one of the
southwests hottest deserts. It took 6
hours to remove 8 nuts. The transfer case
skidplate makes it almost impossible
to reach the u-bolts on the front joint
using only pliers. Couldn't see anything,
and removed them by touch. Arm muscles
burning, scraped up knuckles.
I was one happy camper
when I was able to throw that driveshaft
in the back. Limped it home in low range
running with only the front shaft.
Do I hate my Jeep? No way!

image005-1.jpg

Chevrolets are very good starter vehicles. Some guys move up to Mopars and some don't. Know your limitations.
What I like to tell young folks these days - "nothing wrong with learning on Chevies, they're good for that -
heck, dabble in Ford world if you like also - but eventually, you'll want to graduate to something better, like a Mopar". :)

You have at least the comforts of a concrete
driveway, A/C in the house (along with your
favorite brew) for break time, availability of
degreasers and clean rags to keep the
excess buildup of grease on your hands,
off.
To put this in perspective;
Try pulling the rear driveshaft off a CJ7
in the dirt, using only a pair of pliers.
110 degrees in the middle of one of the
southwests hottest deserts. It took 6
hours to remove 8 nuts. The transfer case
skidplate makes it almost impossible
to reach the u-bolts on the front joint
using only pliers. Couldn't see anything,
and removed them by touch. Arm muscles
burning, scraped up knuckles.
I was one happy camper
when I was able to throw that driveshaft
in the back. Limped it home in low range
running with only the front shaft.
Do I hate my Jeep? No way!

View attachment 1306559
Hell, after all that? I'll hate it for you!
Come here, you damn Jeep....:upyours:

Is there a qualify program or is it a freebee sort of thing? I would only want to be in an "Elite" club. Maybe a new alphabet group? FBBORXC

What I want to see is the "Most ignored" Club.
Naw, only qualifier is if you've ever received a Red X on a comment before (yes, you have :) ).
I usually give them out when I see someone getting "marked" in a thread.
We can do a "most ignored" also, except I don't think there's any way for us mere mortals to see such a stat.

Olds fans know better; just like there are low and tall deck versions of Chrysler engines (383 is lower deck than 440) there are low and tall deck Olds engines. The low deck versions included 260, 307, 330, 350 and 403 cubic inch sizes, the raised versions covered the 400, 425, 455 engines. Therefore, an Olds 350 is about two inches narrower and an inch shorter than a 400 or 455.

By the way, welcome. Nice first post.
And the 425 is the only good one. It had a forged crank.

And the 425 is the only good one. It had a forged crank.
All the early engines (pre 1968) of any size had forged cranks. Good 455s (premium cars like 442, Toronado and W30 engines) at least had nodular cranks though.

what was u tryng to put the 440 into ? a dart or duster or some other A body? then what motr was in it from the factory ? A sant 6? how much auto mechanics experience do u have , it sounds like not much
I'm guessing you didn't read this thread from the start? Give ya a hint.....this site is about 'B' body Mopars. :D

Want a curse worthy project, water pump and hose replacement on my 1997 Jeep GC.
For RB plug changes I have an offset box wrench I use on the end of a plug socket to get at drivers side.

Auto Transport Service
Back