• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant: I hate chrysler

Let me tell you something: It was NOT a great idea to put a big block (440 in my case) in that (to) SMALL engine bay!

You can't reach ****.
There is almost no working room, kinda like a modern car.

Even something "simple" like changing spark plugs makes you want to scrap the car.

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful looking and driving car, comfy and nice with in my case a/c and even cruise control.
But the people that decided that this MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE is worth 90k in #3 condition must be OUT OF THEIR ******* MIND.

Why am i so mad?

Well i just spent 5 hours together with my dad trying to change the motor mounts.
We managed to change 1 (passenger side) and i'm not sure if it's possible to swap the driver side mount without pulling the engine. (even less working room)
Everytime we repair something on this car it's the same story: Almost no working room. Most of the time you can barely fit a wrench.

Not a great design from a maintenance point of view.
Look at my 72 cutlass supreme (It has an sbo but even the ones with bbo seem to have way more working room in pictures)
or look at a 70 chevelle (same platform), 69 camaro or 67 impala for example.
Those all seem to be way more maintenance friendly due to having more working room.

I don't know. I kinda spent 50k on this car to punish myself.
Could've bought a 70 chevelle ls6 for the same money at that point.
Yeah the mopars look the best and we've got the hemi (unfortunately i don't have a hemi personally) but i think the chevelle would be the better choice for the non masochist mechanic.

If you want a charger better get it with a slant 6.
Or hire your own personal pitiable creatures (mechanics) to do the work for you. (Like Jay Leno does)

I should do like hoovie from hoovies garage.
Make videos about how great these cars are and let someone else do the crappy work for me while making money at the same time
Funny to read about your Mopar “maintenance nightmare” and “not great design from a maintenance point of view” …

I’ve had different car brands over the years, both old and modern, American and European. I do the wrenching myself.

One year ago, I bought my first Mopar (1970 B-body) and have done a whole lot of mechanical work on it. My conclusion is that this car is one of the easiest/best cars I have worked on, from a maintenance standpoint. I also think that the Chrysler engineers did a good job when they design these cars over 50 years ago…

Two years ago, I was stupid enough to replace my daily driver (Chevy Tahoe) with a "Premium German engineering masterpiece" Audi A6 Allroad - 3 litre TDI with DSG-transmission.

Wish I’d kept the Tahoe and spent money on gasoline… The Audi has ALWAYS followed service and inspection schedules, but that won’t do any good when these cars are poorly designed with many weaknesses.

The brilliant minds who designed these Audis, put the timing chain in the back of the engine. When the shitty hydraulic chain tensioners need replacement, transmission must come out.

They also though it was a great idea to attach "protective" plastic covers to the front subframe. The results are lots of trapped moisture and salt. On a 10-year-old “Premium” car, parts of the subframe rusts away because of this design (and crappy steel). Half the car needs to be disassembled to replace subframe. I also have to mention that Audi market these cars with a so called 12 year antirust warranty, witch is fraud because they have become masters in disclaiming.

The DSG-transmission is mostly rugged, but the engineers decided to use engine coolant to cool down valve body/Mechatronic, which leads to catastrophic failure when shitty gaskets/o-rings fail.

The Audi is so expensive and time consuming to maintain, that it's going away, when everything is repaired. I prefer to spend my time and money on wrenching and driving old Mopar muscle instead. (And gasoline for the glorious Big-block).

VAG vs Mopar_2.jpg

Last edited:
Chevrolets are very good starter vehicles. Some guys move up to Mopars and some don't. Know your limitations.

Kind of surprised how mean some people are being here, guy was obviously venting.. no big thing...

BUT.. someone brought up "Hoovie" that person you can feel free to be as mean as you want.... i saw a video of him putting a LS in a porsche then blowing it up intentionally cause it had low oil pressure when launching (his own fault cause he doesn't understand or work on cars, pickup tube was getting uncovered).. There are a few youtube "Car" guys like that... another one who's name i can't recall rebuilt a audi R8(i think r8) then shows it off by standing on the rev limiter on every shift like it's a shift light... just unreal. I hate that they got rich by not knowing how to work on or drive cars..
(my rant over) :)

Funny to read about your Mopar “maintenance nightmare” and “not great design from a maintenance point of view” …

I’ve had different car brands over the years, both old and modern, American and European. I do the wrenching myself.

One year ago, I bought my first Mopar (1970 B-body) and have done a whole lot of mechanical work on it. My conclusion is that this car is one of the easiest/best cars I have worked on, from a maintenance standpoint. I also think that the Chrysler engineers did a good job when they design these cars over 50 years ago…

Two years ago, I was stupid enough to replace my daily driver (Chevy Tahoe) with a "Premium German engineering masterpiece" Audi A6 Allroad - 3 litre TDI with DSG-transmission.

Wish I’d kept the Tahoe and spent money on gasoline… The Audi has ALWAYS followed service and inspection schedules, but that won’t do any good when these cars are poorly designed with many weaknesses.

The brilliant minds who designed these Audis, put the timing chain in the back of the engine. When the shitty hydraulic chain tensioners need replacement, transmission must come out.

They also though it was a great idea to attach "protective" plastic covers to the front subframe. The results are lots of trapped moisture and salt. On a 10-year-old “Premium” car, parts of the subframe rusts away because of this design (and crappy steel). Half the car needs to be disassembled to replace subframe. I also have to mention that Audi market these cars with a so called 12 year antirust warranty, witch is fraud because they have become masters in disclaiming.

The DSG-transmission is mostly rugged, but the engineers decided to use engine coolant to cool down valve body/Mechatronic, which leads to catastrophic failure when shitty gaskets/o-rings fail.

The Audi is so expensive and time consuming to maintain, that it's going away, when everything is repaired. I prefer to spend my time and money on wrenching and driving old Mopar muscle instead. (And gasoline for the glorious Big-block).

View attachment 1305349
Before I buy something different I do a ton of research on them. Thanks for the heads up on the Audi but that brand never was on my radar. The only car I bought that wasn't American was a 66 Opel Rekord when I was stationed in Germany. It was easy to work on and ran good too. It was also an odd bird as it had 4 on the floor (most cars there were on the tree) with bucket seats and a 4 door too. It had the 1900 engine in it so I was able to get two gas ration books instead of one. Usually sold the second book to the guys that ran out with their smaller engines because they really didn't get better mpg with the 1700's etc with a load of guys in it.

The only car I bought that wasn't American was a 66 Opel Rekord when I was stationed in Germany. It was easy to work on and ran good too. It was also an odd bird as it had 4 on the floor (most cars there were on the tree) with bucket seats and a 4 door too. It had the 1900 engine in it so I was able to get two gas ration books instead of one. Usually sold the second book to the guys that ran out with their smaller engines because they really didn't get better mpg with the 1700's etc with a load of guys in it.

Well at this time opel was owned by gm. Some Opel models even used small gm v8 engines.
I know someone that uses the v8 out of an old opel in his c2 corvette because its almost identical he says.

Well at this time opel was owned by gm. Some Opel models even used small gm v8 engines.
I know someone that uses the v8 out of an old opel in his c2 corvette because its almost identical he says.
Not sure if GM was partners or what with Opel in the 60's but the bigger Opals did have GM engines in them. I know that there wasn't any GM parts on my 66 lol

Not sure if GM was partners or what with Opel in the 60's but the bigger Opals did have GM engines in them. I know that there wasn't any GM parts on my 66 lol

I don't know the very specifics but on our 1994 Opel Vectra A there is general motors printed on the windows. :D

Opel' sold at Buick dealers were German until around 78' then switched to Japanese. (Isusu)

I had a ball with some German motors and a few cars in my younger days. My ex father in law had a non factory associated Volkswagen business. He sold parts , bodies, frames, engines, trannys for racing and street VWs with the standard air cooled four cylinders. He designed his own cams in which Sig Erson added to their list of supplied cams to this day. I remember when he got his first 2180 motor, dang thing shook the ground just sitting there idling. He said he would have won every race he ever raced with that motor. Have gotten completely out the VW business now days, but those were some real fun toys....

try a big block '70 Corvette with AC....I had to custom make a spark plug wrench just to get to 2 plugs. It's part of the hobby

Let me tell you something: It was NOT a great idea to put a big block (440 in my case) in that (to) SMALL engine bay!

You can't reach ****.

Even something "simple" like changing spark plugs makes you want to scrap the car.

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful looking and driving car, comfy and nice with in my case a/c and even cruise control.
But the people that decided that this MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE is worth 90k in #3 condition must be OUT OF THEIR ******* MIND.

Why am i so mad?

Well i just spent 5 hours together with my dad trying to change the motor mounts.
We managed to change 1 (passenger side) and i'm not sure if it's possible to swap the driver side mount without pulling the engine. (even less working room)
Everytime we repair something on this car it's the same story: Almost no working room. Most of the time you can barely fit a wrench.

Look at my 72 cutlass supreme (It has an sbo but even the ones with bbo seem to have way more working room in pictures)
Those all seem to be way more maintenance friendly due to having more working room.

Yeah the mopars look the best and we've got the hemi (unfortunately i don't have a hemi personally) but i think the chevelle would be the better choice for the non masochist mechanic.

Or hire your own personal pitiable creatures (mechanics) to do the work for you. (Like Jay Leno does)

Make videos about how great these cars are and let someone else do the crappy work for me while making money at the same time. :D

You can't reach ****.

Why am i so mad?

Make videos about how great these cars are and let someone else do the crappy work for me while making money at the same time. :D
what was u tryng to put the 440 into ? a dart or duster or some other A body? then what motr was in it from the factory ? A sant 6? how much auto mechanics experience do u have , it sounds like not much

I want to see that being done.
I would take a day off just to see that being done.

Edit:

It sounds simple "just take a block of wood and lift the oil pan, then swap them out" and it would be.
The problem is the lack of working room. And its not that these bolts come off easy.
That motor was installed by the factory via sliding the entire K frame with engine and front suspension up into the engine bay from the bottom. Want it to be "easy"? Fine, unbolt the front end and the engine wiring etc and the 4 K frame bolts and drop it out the bottom and then it's easy.

Ok everybody. I edited out all the "vulgar" language and the "death threats" that were reported to the moderator staff. You members need to stop being so sensitive and you posters need to back up and read what you post before hitting that enter button.
1656520639803.jpeg

This is the sort of post that is perfect for painting a big red X on your own back. :rolleyes:

If you have had a disagreement in the past, either let it go, or look at what you posted. We don't delete out of spite.
Like this one ?
1656521405394.png

Auto Transport Service
Back