• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare satellite?

pjm8047

Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Went to a car show today and spotted this 72 satellite sebring plus. I saw the fender tag on it and it had a fender tag saying show car and sequence number was 2. Im thinking this vehicle was made for advertising and was not meant to be driven. What do your guys think? Rare?

ABF8D844-4486-479F-8255-733E89FB2250.jpeg

6D79B834-E4C1-49D0-90D3-FE6006C21E2F.jpeg

0F167700-279D-4ED2-8BF7-684199599BAB.jpeg

4E50C448-E182-4402-9394-D99E1B57AD46.jpeg

Show car usually referred to a final hand or machine buffing. Maybe I’m reading that tag wrong but, was it black originally? I think I see a code for red as well. Hmmm.

I don’t doubt the tag, but it seems odd to me that a show car doesn’t have a full tag or two of options.
Im thinking if its a show car that it doesn’t need alot of options if it’s gonna be used for a sales brochure or magazine

Show car usually referred to a final hand or machine buffing. Maybe I’m reading that tag wrong but, was it black originally? I think I see a code for red as well. Hmmm.
Fe5 is the paint code rallye red.

The owner was telling me he found something in the car that said pilot car. I voted for the car for peoples choice just because of the rarity.

Pilot car. One of the first built. They were used for displays, promos, magazine testing, photos for ads, even pictures for the parts manuals. Cool car!

Pilot car. One of the first built. They were used for displays, promos, magazine testing, photos for ads, even pictures for the parts manuals. Cool car!
I told the owner u have something special here. Needs a full restoration. He said he just bought the car yesterday for $6500 in Buffalo,ny was on eBay.

I told the owner u have something special here. Needs a full restoration. He said he just bought the car yesterday for $6500 in Buffalo,ny was on eBay.

Great buy there, on eBay even!

Sequence number is 2 so it’s possible. Weren’t they supposed to be crushed after advertising?

Pretty cool to see a tag like that. Looks like the person got a great deal on it to.

Not a Sebring Plus in the ad so I would say no. Pilots were sold to the public after Chrysler was done. Only pre production body in white type cars were crushed I believe. Seen quite a few pilots over the years.
I see a roadrunner on the left. Whats the car at the far right?

I see a roadrunner on the left. Whats the car at the far right?

Its a Satellite Sebring. Not a Sebring Plus as the lower sliver paint and body moldings are missing which were standard on the Plus.

Its a Satellite Sebring. Not a Sebring Plus as the lower sliver paint and body moldings are missing which were standard on the Plus.
Oh ok thanks. Built august 1st 1971 first day of production how cool is that?! Im sure this car got alot of attention when it came rolling of the line.

Usually pilot cars are loaded up with options.

That one has PW at least.

I saw it on ebay a while ago.

That tag is an odd format, almost like a Lynch Rd tag without the gate numbers.

Usually pilot cars are loaded up with options.

That one has PW at least.

I saw it on ebay a while ago.

That tag is an odd format, almost like a Lynch Rd tag without the gate numbers.
It had power disc brakes, power windows, 3 speed wiper motor and ac!

Auto Transport Service
Back