• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattiness... yeah or nay?

Ron Ward

Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
I have a survivor 1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite. It wears it's age, battle scars and patina quite nicely, I think. The other day I had someone ask me when I am going to paint it...

I happen to like the way my car looks. I'm not a bit afraid to drive it and I take it everywhere. I don't sit in a lawn chair next to it at car shows with my California Car Duster and yell at kids with sticky hands to stay away from it. It's a driver; pure and simple. Could I paint it? Sure I could... if I wanted to sink money into it and not drive it while it's undergoing a several month process in a body shop. But then, I'd be worried about every little nick, dent, scratch or sticky-handed brat.

So, what's your opinion? Would you rather DRIVE a ratty old Mopar, or would you rather sit and look at a pretty money pit that you are afraid to drive?

beer.jpg

I'm so focused on the beer that I can hardly see the car....

You did that on purpose, didn't you?

I like both. It's makes your stomach hurt when you get your first scratch on a new paint job but I like to drive them. I have a '72 Ford PU that looks just right showing it's age and battle scars. I think if it runs like a scalded dog it can be cool being ratty.

Me, I like the survivor cars. I would keep it as it is. As long as it is sound body wise and mechanically, enjoy it for what it is. You'll know when it needs a face lift.

If it was my car I'd paint it as I'm not that original hearted. But I respect the idea that lots of guys like originality. The main thing I would hope that would be done is some type of rust control. Nothings sours me more than original cars left to rust from the inside out. Prevent further rusting saves money and headache later. Btw, I drive my money pits. I aint scared of nuttin....except my ex-wife and the taxman.

love em both way's.only advantage to the rats is when you beat someone with a nice car on the street or track.you know they are thinking,"i got beat by that?".somehow makes the win that much better.

You forgot a category. a nicely painted and restored/restomod car that gets driven. That's what I vote for. A couple of car shows a year. A couple of times at the drag strip a year. A couple of cruse nights a year. In between with gas permitting, lots of driving around town, grocery getting, with relative and friends visiting.

drive the hell out of it and enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang:

I like clean close to original survivor cars. At lot of times at the shows, the survivor cars will get as much if not more attention than a restored one.

I don't care for "ratty" cars but a nice clean original with minimum mods can be more interesting than the totally restored 50K trailer queen sitting next to it.
JMHO

First off, your car has no patina, patina only happens on bronze and copper, what most people like to call patina to make it sound cool on their car, is iron oxide...RUST, if that's the look you like, go for it, mine has plenty, but only because I haven't been able to afford the repairs as of yet, that being said, as long as you don't intentionally damage the car to look more "ratty" and keep control of the rust, you should be fine either way, personally, I prefer it to look as nice as I can afford at the time is my philosophy, I drive mine regardless of how it looks, and will just as much when it gets painted in the same manner as I always have.

- - - Updated - - -

The main thing I would hope that would be done is some type of rust control. Nothings sours me more than original cars left to rust from the inside out. Prevent further rusting saves money and headache later. .

X2

I like both and we try to keep one of each in stock. An original car with patina + new interior = great driver IMO.

Life is way to short to worry about having a perfect car.. Drive it as you are not promised tomorrow. If you want to flip it and get a bit more money then paint it.

You forgot a category. a nicely painted and restored/restomod car that gets driven. That's what I vote for. A couple of car shows a year. A couple of times at the drag strip a year. A couple of cruse nights a year. In between with gas permitting, lots of driving around town, grocery getting, with relative and friends visiting.

That's where I fall but I appreciate them all! I'd never want to own a trailer queen though

I love unmolested survivor cars too. I would pound out the dents and fix the rust but that's just me. Just going by the one picture, I don't think I would repaint the whole car. I used to restore cars to perfect condition and then worry about every little nick and scratch. I don't do that anymore. Drive it and have fun.

First off, your car has no patina, patina only happens on bronze and copper, what most people like to call patina to make it sound cool on their car, is iron oxide...RUST

Sorry, but you are incorrect...

Patina (/ˈpætɨnə/ or /pəˈtiːnə/) is a thin layer that variously forms on the surface of stone; on copper, bronze and similar metals (tarnish produced by oxidation or other chemical processes);[1] on wooden furniture (sheen produced by age, wear, and polishing); or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective covering to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a survivor 1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite. It wears it's age, battle scars and patina quite nicely, I think. The other day I had someone ask me when I am going to paint it...

I happen to like the way my car looks. I'm not a bit afraid to drive it and I take it everywhere. I don't sit in a lawn chair next to it at car shows with my California Car Duster and yell at kids with sticky hands to stay away from it. It's a driver; pure and simple. Could I paint it? Sure I could... if I wanted to sink money into it and not drive it while it's undergoing a several month process in a body shop. But then, I'd be worried about every little nick, dent, scratch or sticky-handed brat.

So, what's your opinion? Would you rather DRIVE a ratty old Mopar, or would you rather sit and look at a pretty money pit that you are afraid to drive?

View attachment 204957

I JUST had the same conversation with my wife. My car is a 40 footer and I've decided to keep it that way. This way my kids (5, 2 and new born) can enjoy it without me stressing out about finger prints and scratches.

In the end, these cars are for enjoyment, so enjoy it however you like.

I like it the way it is. It would be tempting to do minimum body work on it and put a cheep 70s style multi color paint job on it. I love the 70s cool look.

I really like unmolested cars, but I'd be real tempted to fix that quarter and have the paint blended with what's left of the original.

I think, if it was mine, I'd be tempted to do some minor patch & repairs at-least, fix the crease & a few rust spots,
put some wheels & tires on it, "Day 2" modify it to my taste, it doesn't have to be a garage rat or trailer queen,
all while I drive it, just do a little at a time...

It doesn't have to be a full on restoration & it will still be "Ratty Enough" to still drive without undue worries

BUT It's your car, Like I always say...
"Build it how you want it {or just leave it alone in your case} & Drive it like you stole it, damn the rest, who cares what other people think...

not ratty at all, looks like a daily driver to me. enjoy it

I had a 69 Dart that I put a lot of time and effort to get to show car condition and was afraid to drive it anywhere for fear of scratches or dings. In the 4 years that it was finished, I barely put 200 miles on it. At the same time we had a beater lifted jeep wrangler that the paint was peeling, interior ratted out and had it's fair share of dings and dents.....and I loved driving that thing around....another ding...more character.

That taught me a lesson for my next mopar project. It's a 67 belvedere 4 door that has a 20 footer paint job on it. It's heart and soul will be a 600ish HP 512 stroker, 4 speed and dana 3:54. I'm not going for pretty....I'm going for fun.

The other day I was moving something in the garage and put a small scratch in the paint. Oh well. If that would have been the Dart, I would have been furious with myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back