• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattiness... yeah or nay?

I guess I'm in between. Obviously I love the way these cars look when they are restored with a straight paint job. I'm not exactly a ratty muscle car guy either, but it amazes me how guys get so pissed off when they see a car that has been well taken care of mechanically but hasn't been painted yet. I'll admit, I tore down my car 7 years ago thinking I was going to completely restore it. Then I realized that I wasn't going to have the money to do it the right way. So that's how it sat. Then life came along, I finished college and bought a 15 acre property with a house, barn, and a nice shed. Now I'm going to be getting married next year so I really don't have the money now to restore my car the right way. So I'm putting it back together now so I can drive it and enjoy it. Obviously replacing parts as needed as I go. So think whatever you guys want to think, but the way I see it at least it's one less Mopar that is sitting in a barn rotting away like it was when I bought it. PS, this is my dad's shop not mine.

10982610_10153542178684688_5069895878538463345_n.jpg
11034188_10153614849099688_4888760592112460416_n.jpg

my last car was someone else's parts car. '69 road runner four speed. Either what was there was busted,rusted,or MIA. I had a good 440 and 4 speed to put in it. The car did have new quarters on it. It took a lot of scrounging the swap meets,internet, and horse trading, but I got it on the road. Had a blast with it, more than any other car I had before. It was getting close to paint time when my garage burned down.If I had waited to drive the car until it was completely done, I would have missed out on a lot of fun.
Insurance got me the car I have now. It too is ready for paint. Then the furnace died last year. Two weeks ago, the wifes car died. Now there's a new car in the driveway. I can see no paint in the near future. I could pile up the OT, but after working 21 turn for 16 years, it's all I can do to put in eight hours a day anymore. my car is driveable, and that's good enough for me.

I would love to get mine repainted and the body work done but don't have the 10k+ its going to cost me and don't want it sitting in a shop for 8 months to 2 years making payments on "progress" Sooo just waiting for that one shop who I can trust to do it within my budget when I actually have enough of my budget to get started lol in the mean time its a ratty mess outside and I don't care its fast and fun and mine not yours so lead follow or get outa the way!

Whatever satisfies ya. My daily is a beater[mechanically up kept], but my toys have to be near perfect. Nobody cares what ya drive to and from work. I always see scrubby looking old cars on the road and think....that could be nice.

Rattiness... Tough one, some cars can take the look and that one does. Beautiful car, but like the what people are saying before, take care of the rust, and maybe just throw a matte paint job on?

I have a 1973 charger, my daily, I love it and people hate it! Why? Well when your $50,000 car sees the tail lights of a $3000 ratty charger... Well I think you get the point.

It's your car, make it how you so desire. Definitely Looks bitchin' right now though! :headbang:

and I know of too many cars that are close to show ready...and haven't been out of the garage THIS CENTURY, and several years before the start of it.....

One of my problems is that I'm usually pretty busy working on other people's stuff to work on my junk so it sits. Been thinking of putting it back together so I can drive it......so I'm another that's willing to sacrifice some rattiness vs being able to drive it. It's been garaged but I'm seeing some deterioration of interior chrome parts from sitting.

I use to be nay,but after a recent local discussion about "paint and body" I have changed my mind. I do my own paint and haven't been around any of my buddy's shops in a few years,so I wasn't aware of the "cost" for a paint job. Geez,I feel for the guys that have to send their cars of to the great unknown. Not only the cost,but the quality of work. That's not to say there are not great people doing great work for a fair price,I'm just saying what I've seen done locally and what people paid to have THAT done is quite shocking! So yay on getting your car out and not feeling like you have to have everything perfect1

that's part of my problem. I just can't get past the fact that I have to cough up a grand for paint.That would buy a lot of groceries, pay household bills,etc. I'm stuck remembering $150 for paint and thinner.

Coughing up the grand for paint,isn't my problem...but when some guy shows up in his car and there are waves,edges of filler not sanded,poor gaps and panel alignment,and new shiny paint on top of it. Then he says I just paid 10 grand and the shop had my car for 4 years! I think to myself "you poor bastard" !

yeah that does tend to be a problem. and it's nice not having to worry about chips and scratches.

Ya gotta do what you think is best for your situation. Beer, I see Beer. anyway, I have a buddy that has 2 69 Charger R/T's, 1 meticulously restored Torch Red, black interior and vinyl top. 2nd one is a barn find black with white interior. nice looking 20 footer. He loves both but, when he takes the Red anywhere he is so nervous about it that he can't let it. He enjoys driving the barn find because he doesn't have to worry about it nearly as much. Me I just need to get my 65 Coronet road worthy and start enjoying having nice car.

I don't think it has to be a beautiful shiny jewel of a car to be cool. I like the rough stuff too. I would say, however, that in the case of your car I would at least fix the rotten quarters. I don't say this for it's looks, because I think she's a beauty just the way she is. I say it for health reasons. If you want to enjoy your ride for a long time than you NEED to keep the elements out. Once rust gets a foothold on the inside it takes off like the worst kind of cancer.

it dont matter either way, you still own a badass b-body mopar. i like it. just enjoy it!!!!!!!

Who cares? No matter what, restored, original, or just plain ratted out. People in general (and on this forum) will always put your car down or tell you how "they'd do it better". Just drive it, fix it how you want or how you can afford to with zero shits given. After all, you can't take it with you in the end.

the only thing like that I have seen are when someone asks "what do you think of....."
then guys give their honest opinions.

Yea to ratty! Drive the sh!t out of it.. who cares about dents and dings... and make it mean looking like it runs on children's tears

IMG_0539.jpg

Better yet the tears of someone driving a $70k+ car who can't figure out their tiptronic iDrive sensomatic transmission

As long as the brakes and lights work and the floor under my seat is somewhat solid. yay ratty! oh yeah and no major gas leaks.

Still can buy paint and thinner for $150,Summit,Eastwood.Their 2 stage is made by Sherwin Williams and the single stage is made by Kirker and am betting is as good as the Omni brand which is made by PPG

that's part of my problem. I just can't get past the fact that I have to cough up a grand for paint.That would buy a lot of groceries, pay household bills,etc. I'm stuck remembering $150 for paint and thinner.

Auto Transport Service
Back