• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB 512 freshen up

Oh, the carb is a 4150 pro systems. Iirc, flows right near 1000cfm. The higher it revs the better it runs and keeps pulling. I've had it over 6500 a few times and it's a hoot! Lol but I want more
Contact Dom@Thumpercarbs for carb advise. Very knowledgeable.

My 2 cents .
You will need more converter , gear and carb .
At least a 5000 vert and 4.1 gears .
And be happy to spin it towards 7000 in the traps
My cnc stock port heads , Victor and hp1000 carb best was 10.50
TF270 super victor and 1050 dom was 10.25
Both on radial 28 x 10,5 shifting @ 6000
Mine is pump gas 11: 1 , .600 nett lift sft

Tex

272@050 . 108 lobe sep
It is not a very aggressive ramp though
Same top end / cam heavier World block i shift @ 6500
Mostly due to a 6000 stall off trans brake
I have refitted footbrake trans and 5000 vert , best this year has been a 10.41 leaving @ 1500 . Autumn is here and weather is cooling at last

Tex

I've got the correct adjustable pcv in it
adjustable? Is it a M/E Wagner PCV?
Still might try the 3.91, not much highway driving, maybe up north where it's 65 for 15 miles.
Not unbearable. Again, I don't know your installed tire height.
When the time came for me to choose a ring and pinion gear for the Quick Performance 9" rear axle assembly in the GTO, I wanted something as high numerically that I thought I could get away with without upsetting the wife, because I wasn't sure if she'd go along with the swap to a 5 speed from the 4 speed Muncie 20? I believe that's in it.
Based on my experience in my Roadrunner, where 3.54s were ok, tolerable at 3,500 RPMs @ 70 mph, I guessed that 3.80s would be OK in the GTO...
Until I drove the GTO about an hour away, roughly 55 miles on the map. It seemed like a lot longer, and I was so uncomfortable with the highway RPMs I took the coast road home in the GTO. I'm glad we are putting the TKO600 in that I got a killer deal on October 2019 at Cruisin The Coast at the American Powertrain booth.
I went from 3.54s to 4.10s when the Passon 5 speed went in my Roadrunner, and it turns 750 RPMs less in 5th w/4.10s than it used to in 4th and 3.54s.
I have to give mighty props :thumbsup::lowdown::lowdown:
to anyone who got a 4.10 in their new factory B-Body and planned on driving it anywhere other than the race track or around town.

adjustable? Is it a M/E Wagner PCV?

Not unbearable. Again, I don't know your installed tire height.
When the time came for me to choose a ring and pinion gear for the Quick Performance 9" rear axle assembly in the GTO, I wanted something as high numerically that I thought I could get away with without upsetting the wife, because I wasn't sure if she'd go along with the swap to a 5 speed from the 4 speed Muncie 20? I believe that's in it.
Based on my experience in my Roadrunner, where 3.54s were ok, tolerable at 3,500 RPMs @ 70 mph, I guessed that 3.80s would be OK in the GTO...
Until I drove the GTO about an hour away, roughly 55 miles on the map. It seemed like a lot longer, and I was so uncomfortable with the highway RPMs I took the coast road home in the GTO. I'm glad we are putting the TKO600 in that I got a killer deal on October 2019 at Cruisin The Coast at the American Powertrain booth.
I went from 3.54s to 4.10s when the Passon 5 speed went in my Roadrunner, and it turns 750 RPMs less in 5th w/4.10s than it used to in 4th and 3.54s.
I have to give mighty props :thumbsup::lowdown::lowdown:
to anyone who got a 4.10 in their new factory B-Body and planned on driving it anywhere other than the race track or around town.
Haha i love my 4.1 .
Now in saying that . Our highway speeds are a little lower - 65mph/110kph . And i have done many highway runs of 11/14hrs . Car sits on 32/3300 , 29" rear radial

Tex

Yes, its a m/e Wagner pcv.
I believe the tires are 275/ 60 15 but I can't remember if 60 is the right number...

I'm really not at all worried about street manners or being able to go for a long ride up out down the highway. In my opinion, if I want a nice ride I'll get in a new car or a motorcycle. I think it's pretty cool a lot of you guys run your cars the way you do, cruising long ways but I got it to be a rowdy muscle car. We literally drive it about 5 times a year for short bursts to a little show around town or to run and get ice cream. In my neck of the woods, seemingly EVERYBODY drives a damn chevy. In their defense it is the birthplace of gm, but I love leaving those bow tie ******* in my dust. I got nothing against any of those cars but as bluefish can confirm, these old mopars are not the "Standard" around here. In fact almost every year for our local cruise week I'll hear at least once somebody call it one of those Canadian chevelles, or "belvedere??? Never heard of that"! Cracks me up every time!
I want to get to the point that this car will hook on dirt (figuratively) and hang the front tires leaving a stop light. I get so much enjoyment of blowing the doors off these guys cars with a big air cleaner, some cam, chrome valve and Flowmaster mufflers, thinking they did "hotrodding work". They do it at every light during cruise week, they'll pull up, rev the engine a bit and when the light turns green I let my little family car fly. I LOVE IT! Most of the time they won't even get up next to me again at the next light. Then there's them sneaky guys with procharger and turbo motors, I gotta be careful not to get too cocky! Lol

As much as I'd like to we just don't have the extra time to spend at the track every weekend. I work long hours all week long, we have a place up north that we are building by hand, and I love to fish in my non-existent free time. I just want my car to flat out work when we get in it. I know it's not the right way or cheap way to go about it but in all honesty, it's what I'm working with.

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your input and advice! Thank you all!

Once I get the car home for the summer I'm sure I'll be diving into the motor and coming up with more questions!

Just for Fun...

To go to the extreme, I commend you

I know you don't like GM's messing with you :poke:

if you don't care about the "street manors"
put an 7" or 8" - 5,000-5,500 converter,
more camshaft 0.700"+ lift
or even add 1.6:1 (or even 1.7:1) rockers,
to what you have, get another 10%, still use the rockers later
(if you have room, valve to piston clearances, valve guide to retainer clearances or no coil bind)
Maybe a tunnel-ram with a bug-catcher hat FI, or dual QFT's
(maybe even methanol)
bigger tires, taller more rollout & better bigger contact patch
maybe some 4.30:1 or 4.56:1 (or more if need be)
gears & the converter, will help move that heavy car

go fo it, if you want to play, play hard

I drove a Pro-gas (B or C/Gas) 49 Ford that'd run 8.50's almost any track
& 477cid-499cid 7.98 N/A FI
or 528cid 7.20's 8:71 blown injected Mastadon Hemi
all over the streets of Concord in the mid to late 80's
I know it's not that era anymore, it can still be done
people still do it
Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg

Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #7 Hilborn Hat & tunnel-ram.JPG

they made shirts about my car at the Oakland Roadster show
when it had the Blown Inj. 528 Hemi in it, MoPar Mildon Power
albeit; all of it was underhood,
not like his renderings
Ed Big Daddy Roth asked if he could, mass-produce them
I said 'f--k yeah'
Budnicks 49 Ford Pro-Gas Hemi Ed Big Daddy Roth tee shirt #1.JPG

Budnicks 67 Camaro 8.98 @ Sacramento early 1980's (brightened up a tad).png

drove an early version of the Top-sportsman Camaro on the street too,
before that it ran in the 8's in that photo
all Iron LS7 468cid on N2O, 1000+ hp
it would eventually run in the high 7's, still drove it
out on the cruise ever so often
(even raced in the worlds fastest street car events, with both cars)
especially the Fri. & Sat. street races on 1979-1989-ish
Willow Pass rd or Ygnacio Valley rd between Concord & Walnut creek

I even took the Outlaw Pro-Stocker out hi-6.60's at over 217
never got any takers with that one, just did it to raise eyebrows
you could Immagine what showed up the next few weeks
none of then took the cars off their trailers thou :poke:
Budnicks 89 Camaro Z28 540ci Milodon Outlaw Pro-Stock Sears Point early 90's.JPG

the street races on Ygnacio Valley were like 1/2 mile from my place
the finish line I could see from the second story deck of my house

people would say;
'where are your street tires' ?
I'd reply;
'those 15 x 33's are my street tires'
politely of course

if there's a will there's a way,
funny how much you can put up with if you want too

I had people ask me how did I drive them on the street
I said just like I drive my Power Wagon
but try to be cool & not attract unneeded attention
Concord LEO's were pretty cool about it
as long as I didn't do something stupid
I got stopped a few times mostly they wanted to look at it
& warn me sternly

surprising what you can drive on the street, if you want to

Last edited:
Budnicks- THAT... IS... AWESOME!
It's not that I dislike gm's or ford's or literally anything else for that matter... i just got an itch that needs to be scratched every so often, that's all. And if i can leave some other manufacturers muscle cars in the dust, i just smile that much bigger!

I dug into some stuff today, I may just build another bottom end (maybe low deck this time) and see how far I can actually push the envelope on the street. I'll get harassed a little bit from the local cops but i don't mind, I know most of them.

My wife's old boss had a car built (**** tons of money invested) but he's got just an insane amount of power that you can feel coming from a long ways away. As much as I can't stand the guy, it's pretty awesome to see the people come running to see what's going down the road as i'm sure you've witnessed first hand with some of your rides.
Thank you for the vote of confidence! May too much power never be achieved!

Double, you have a pretty good motor there. A better converter and more gear with good tires, will get you well into the 10's.
My Satellite at 3700#+ has gone 10.50 with a suspension that needs much tuning and no tuning on the 1050 Dominator. My 512 has as cam similar to yours, but a bit smaller. Chassis tuning on mine will put in the 10'20's easily.
Get a Lupo Dynamic 9 1/2" converter & 4.10 or 4.56 gears & you will go quick.

You know, i was gonna go with lupo, but the guys that built it were guiding me and highly suggested ptc. I just don't think it's quite right. Gonna schedule some dyno and tuning time to see what is actually going on with the blow-by and tune it a little better. Then go forward from there. I messaged a well respected guy on here and as he recommended, don't start throwing parts and money at it till we have a baseline
Double, you have a pretty good motor there. A better converter and more gear with good tires, will get you well into the 10's.
My Satellite at 3700#+ has gone 10.50 with a suspension that needs much tuning and no tuning on the 1050 Dominator. My 512 has as cam similar to yours, but a bit smaller. Chassis tuning on mine will put in the 10'20's easily.
Get a Lupo Dynamic 9 1/2" converter & 4.10 or 4.56 gears & you will go quick.

PTC has always treated us right.
Doug

PTC has always treated us right.
Doug

Oh i'm not bashing ptc, the little bit i communicated with them they were great. But the guys that were leading me with the motor build may have been off their game, or just didn't care since they were closing the doors.

Oh i'm not bashing ptc, the little bit i communicated with them they were great. But the guys that were leading me with the motor build may have been off their game, or just didn't care since they were closing the doors.
Not bashing PTC as they are a great company, but they were hit and miss when they were doing my verts. Lupo hit it dead nuts at 5400 stall first time out with one of his 10" verts. Very streetable convertor. Forever impressed.

I also hear all good about PTC and Dynamic. Myself I use a Luppo Dynamic 9.5 converter that will flash around 4200 at the track and drives like a normal converter on the street. I agree with what everyone is saying as I built my 493 looking for mid to high 10's in full street mode on 92 pump. I also use a Dwayne Porter solid flat tappet cam in my 493 with the basic Indy EZ heads and 10.6 comp. It has good .045 quench and runs and races fine on 92 pump. In fact I have never had race gas in it or uncapped it. Oh and the cam is .585 & .592 lift with 264 & 270 @ .050 on a 110 LSA and its in the eng on a 106 ICL. I use a 727 and run 4.30's with a 30" tall tire as I turn around 3000 or so at 60 mph and drive the highway like that. I use the Indy dual plane intake and a standard 850 Holley DP. I was actually amazed that my cam sounds a bit milder then I thought it might and I love it as the car drives so good on the street and my 63 weighs 3700 lbs before my 190 gets in it. The car has been together since June 2011 and ran 10.80's the last time at the track as thats what it runs on normal day with 10.70's best. But I was only looking for about 600 hp and wanted high 10's in full street mode driven to the track which it does very well and its a great driving car. My suspension is mostly stock with just Super Stock springs in the back and the longer extending MP shocks. Good luck with your combo as looking for low 10's will take more then my combo is in a 3700 lb plus B-body in street mode. And Dwayne Porter also sold me my EZ heads and did a little of his magic on them. I am 100% pleased with his cam and my heads that he set up for my car as he does awesome work. Ron

Not bashing PTC as they are a great company, but they were hit and miss when they were doing my verts. Lupo hit it dead nuts at 5400 stall first time out with one of his 10" verts. Very streetable convertor. Forever impressed.
Sorry, typo. My vert is an 8" lupo.

yep, your combo runs good. Add b body weight and your back to mid 10’s. People don’t realize how hard it is to get a b body street car to run down that far. Takes a pretty serious combo in a stout car with a good tuner to do it. I don’t see it with a 10.5:1 pump gas N/A motor unless the car is on a serious diet and extremely sorted.

Certainly not easy, our 3800lb@the line street/strip '69RR, goes a tad better than 10.5's, has a rather unusual combo but is how we bought it complete and dyno'd with street in mind>
10:1CR 589ci, -13's (365cnc), .625" after lash 260/[email protected] s/roller on 110
440-2, small 950HP carb
2.1/8" TTI's
3600-4200 TCI vert
D60, 4.10 posi, 10x29 Hoosiers
caltracs/mono's 9-ways
in full street trim with exh to rear
drive to track and drive home.
run a best of 10.3@130 after only 10runs with new combo and on a good day with no headwind.
Low 10's isn't gonna be easy with the hp we have (679 on track), remove exhausts, remove air filter (worth .08)
re-tune carb or change it may get us a 1/10th or 2 at best?, thats it.
not really enough converter>only1.43 60's, we stripe@6200rpm, max hp@5900
just as an example only of course.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back