• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB engine priming question (Yup, I searched)

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
I have question pertaining to the results of priming.

440 that I just finished putting back together. At TDC on #1. No parts were replaced except for timing gear and chain set. I aligned them according to the big block engine rebuilding book. Cam was not out, so cam bearing cannot be blocking oil galley. This was a running engine that I decided to take down and inspect…since I had the time.

When priming with drill and rod, I get good flow on passenger side rockers. Nothing on drivers side. So, I tried several different degrees of the crank and reattempted at each location.
I tried turning the motor with the starter, still no favorable result.

I have taken that side (drivers) rocker back off and ran the drill and rod…still nothing.

Does anybody know of a specific position for the crank to be in which aligns the oil galley for the drivers rocker ?
While the engine was apart, I made sure the oil passages were clear.

I am stumped at this point.

the camshaft has two drilled passages thru the #4 journal that have line up with the #4 cam bearing oil feed hole (that feeds oil off the #4 main bearing) to feed oil to the valve train. these passages don't feed oil to both sides at the same time; only when they line up with their respective head passage during rotation. you can rotate the engine assembly while priming and you'll see both sides getting oil but not at the same time. find an oil schematic for the engine and it will explain everything.

When I did it I found sometimes it is good to have a couple people when priming. I had my dad run the drill and then I SLOWLY turned the crank on my small block until it primed both sides. Once I saw oil I would stop and let it fill the rockers then kept rotating until I got oil on the other side of the rockers. Sometimes you go by the slot quicker than you think and it ends up skipping the oiling area on the camshaft. Also find that a longer bar on the crank will help you spin it slower and more evenly than a short bar that gets jumpy and makes you have to put more effort and turn faster. I know you are spinning it counter clockwise because you said you have oil to one side. Thats another thing I have forgotten going between small block and big block engines haha!

Lewtot184,

Yes, that much I am familiar with ! My issue is that I am not getting oil the drivers side during priming
I figure if I can get crank positioned so that the oil passage is lined up for drivers side rocker to be oiled.

Lewtot184,

Yes, that much I am familiar with ! My issue is that I am not getting oil the drivers side during priming
I figure if I can get crank positioned so that the oil passage is lined up for drivers side rocker to be oiled.
if i remember correctly the crankshaft has to be rotated 270 degrees for the oil holes to line up on the left side (driver side) of the engine before oil begins to flow. this assumes that the right side (passenger side) is oiling. keep in mind that those passages in the camshaft aren't large so you may have to rotate the assembly slowly. if none of this works all i can think of is some obstruction on cam bearing holes may not be installed correctly.

Did you remove the pipe plugs in the block and run a gun cleaning rod through there like I suggested?
If it came out full of crud, I'm really hoping some didn't get pushed down into the vertical section and plugging it.
Seems unlikely but yet a possibility.

Nothing comes easily on that car...

Does anybody know of a specific position for the crank to be in which aligns the oil galley for the drivers rocker ?

FWIW, I found this from way back. Cannot find the source again to verify and have not tried it. So, I can't tell you it's factual. Won't hurt to try. Let us know the outcome if you try......

1674140346153.png

You would have to spin the crank about 1 and a quarter turns from rt side being oiled.

My last priming: I got one side, but in the end, I had to enlist the help of a friend to turn the crank as I ran the pump. He turned the crank very slowly. It took a couple revolutions before the oil moved.

Please check to make sure your rocker shaft isnt turn over. There are oiling holes on one side but not the other. If you have the shaft turned wrong it wont get oil on that side.

You only have 1/8" where cam lets oil through. Four degrees movement is all.

It has been my experience with the big block Chryslers that the right bank (2,4,6,8) will prime when #6 cylinder is on TDC and the left bank (1,3,5,7) will prime when #8 is at TDC.

Yep. As above, the v8 is 90° bank to bank, so the oil holes are 90° apart.
Which ever bank you get oil on, turn 90° from there. If that doesn't work, go 180 more.
I'd pull the shaft on the bank that isn't oiling and inspect.

Also hopefully your cam bearing is sitting correctly in the engine. Misaligned will cause starvation but its highly unlikely. I just made these videos and uploaded them. Hopefully they will help someone. Most guys here already know how this oil system works. This is basically for the unaware.

oilingsystembigblock-color-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I have the rocker shaft back out of the motor. I did ensure that the holes were in the proper position, also. I did remove the block plugs and cleaned it out with a gun cleaning kit !

I really want to find that sweet spot so the oiling can go right to the drivers side. The passenger side oils beautifully. I just didnt want to proceed until I had oil up top.

For priming, top dead center, #1 cylinder (compression stroke). Run priming rod counter clockwise and it will oil passenger side.

Rotate crank clockwise 270 degs from the top dead center and it will oil the driver's side. Having all the spark plugs removed helps also.

Or...
It has been my experience with the big block Chryslers that the right bank (2,4,6,8) will prime when #6 cylinder is on TDC and the left bank (1,3,5,7) will prime when #8 is at TDC.

Oil holes in the rocker shafts point down and towards the valves.
rockershaft-jpg.jpg

Priming can be a slow process. I just keep the drill going while slowly rotating the crank and watch for the oil on both side of the rocker arms. Always works for me.

Before you get too worried.
When I primed mine last year it flew out the passenger side as well right away.
I just rotated the crank slowly and when I saw just a little oil on the drivers side I quit (probably should have done a bit more).
It's been running fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back