• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-arching old Mopar rear springs

From looking at this factory sales literature the stance of this car appears almost identical to mine. Now i have to agree that the slow decay of time effects everything. I also know that 67coronets and satellite look different because of the rear quarters not being full wheel openings like 68 up cars. Never had anyone ever say he that car sets like rear springs are flat.
1967-dodge-coronet-rt.jpg

From looking at this factory sales literature the stance of this car appears almost identical to mine. Now i have to agree that the slow decay of time effects everything. I also know that 67coronets and satellite look different because of the rear quarters not being full wheel openings like 68 up cars. Never had anyone ever say he that car sets like rear springs are flat. View attachment 631772
You have a point with the 67 body style covering part of the wheel. Also right in 68+ being full open wheel wells. Those years look more open. In any regard you have a sweet looking ride.

My Charger has ESPO springs for over 10 years......The GTX has Eaton springs, just a couple years.....

First set of pics show the eaton springs and to make them factory correct requires a little work and a few leaf transplants from the originals. Pretty much the same process for the Espo's......Liners, pads, insulators and brackets are from Frank Badalson and the eye bushings are NOS.....

View attachment 631501 View attachment 631502 View attachment 631503 View attachment 631504 View attachment 631505 View attachment 631506 View attachment 631507 View attachment 631508
09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
OK, for 67 B-body with 426 and 440 engine you have a 6 leaf on the left and 7 one the right. The arches are the same for both sides.

5 and 7/8 inch free arch. Which is off the car, put a straight edge from center of front eye to center of rear eye and measure to the top of the top leaf, not the bolt. But you measure at the center bolt, not the middle of the spring.

The measurements from eye to eye are as follows: front eye to center bolt is 22" following the spring arch not a straight line.
center bolt to rear eye is 36" following the spring arch not a straight line

From looking at this factory sales literature the stance of this car appears almost identical to mine. Now i have to agree that the slow decay of time effects everything. I also know that 67coronets and satellite look different because of the rear quarters not being full wheel openings like 68 up cars. Never had anyone ever say he that car sets like rear springs are flat. View attachment 631772
Below is an example of a side profile of a car parked....Notice the rocker panel from front to the rear...This car is an all original restoration...

So Higgins do take it as another poster is trying to portray I am knocking your car....I am not...I love your color combo and I am a fan of Coronets.....

My basis was only in relation to the springs...thats it IMHO....I will give my honest opinion and not sugar coat it....

da0913-165393_2.jpg

Be curious what those springs measure that you did. If they aren't already installed. I realize those aren't for 67 but be interesting to see .

09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
OK, for 67 B-body with 426 and 440 engine you have a 6 leaf on the left and 7 one the right. The arches are the same for both sides.

5 and 7/8 inch free arch. Which is off the car, put a straight edge from center of front eye to center of rear eye and measure to the top of the top leaf, not the bolt. But you measure at the center bolt, not the middle of the spring.

The measurements from eye to eye are as follows: front eye to center bolt is 22" following the spring arch not a straight line.
center bolt to rear eye is 36" following the spring arch not a straight line
I wasn't comparing 68-70 B bodies to pre 67 b bodies.....I was showing two cars that have new springs from ESPO and EATON......The set displayed was the EATON set for the people that debunk that one cannot make a new set factory correct......Hence in reference to the OP's original question on whether to go new or to get them arched again...

Be curious what those springs measure that you did. If they aren't already installed. I realize those aren't for 67 but be interesting to see .
The ones on the charger sit higher on the left due to the extra leafs(as they did a bit originally)....That is why I no longer use ESPO......EATON's are a matched set so with the extra leafs the car sits level on the rear......It is annoying to see one side a bit high from the rear IMHO.....I am very very picky.....if you cannot tell...

The green 67 R/T the front suspension should be turned up some to be correct. I always see from factory pictures the top of the tire should be equal height to wheel well lip. I generally reference the rear factory ride height with the top of rim to match wheel well lip, on the 67-70 B bodies.

I believe 67 had the 6 and 7 for the 440/426 as well......383 was 5 and 5....

Those are installed....

The green car looks great wearing 15 inch magnums also. Ill have to put out the bat signal to get to the bottom of it. Moparnation may very well be correct. Nothing wrong with being picky if you have the money to be. Lol. What was the price for the springs.

Not offended i dont even know you, just trying to get to the facts. Have to research this more.
You can also check the travel as well.......That in itself is an easy test......If I am wrong than I am wrong......

When I have been burned in the past over something and found what works without failure I stand behind it......

The assembly plants were just that, assembly plants. the parts were brought in from the sub-contractors who Manufactured the parts. The sub-contarctors frequently supplied more that one of the big 3. If you want authenticity, have your old oem parts re-arched, rebuilt. But it will be up to modern standards. Metallurgy and heat treating technology has far surpassed 1970's standards. Get a new set from a quality source if you are more interested in performance.

The green car looks great wearing 15 inch magnums also. Ill have to put out the bat signal to get to the bottom of it. Moparnation may very well be correct. Nothing wrong with being picky if you have the money to be. Lol. What was the price for the springs.
If it is about price than I would stick with ESPO.....Eaton is about 300 buck each side......

You can also check the travel as well.......That in itself is an easy test......If I am wrong than I am wrong......

When I have been burned in the past over something and found what works without failure I stand behind it......
explain how to check travel

Another disagree bandit with zero explanation.....imagine that!

pussies hitting buttons......
I took offense the first few times I got the red X too but it's really just saying that person disagrees.....no use getting thangs in a wad and calling names because all that does is start a pissing match.

Below is an example of a side profile of a car parked....Notice the rocker panel from front to the rear...This car is an all original restoration...

So Higgins do take it as another poster is trying to portray I am knocking your car....I am not...I love your color combo and I am a fan of Coronets.....

My basis was only in relation to the springs...thats it IMHO....I will give my honest opinion and not sugar coat it....

View attachment 631781
Yes, this car is somewhat low in the front end. I've had a few 66-67 B's and know that for a fact. This is also the same stance that my present 66 had too. I lowered the front and that gave it some rake. Even though the rear springs weren't flat, the car sat level at the stock ride height. So did my first 66 Belvedere and it was bought new.....jest sayin.

explain how to check travel
I gauge it by eye from a fixed point.....A new spring should only have a deflection 1-2" roughly.....I just push on one corner of the rear....It is a crude test....For example before I took the X apart I had about 5 inches of travel.....With the spring removed I could stand on it and it would flatten completely out....I weigh about 215.....The eaton didn't move when I stood on top of them.....Of course mine were completely shot...

Just know it is one of those old school "rule of thumb" tests.......Course it may be a guesstimate if it reached maximum load....but a simple gauge

Last edited:
I took offense the first few times I got the red X too but it's really just saying that person disagrees.....no use getting thangs in a wad and calling names because all that does is start a pissing match..
I do not disagree with your first point......I give a green check....

Maybe you should due the due diligence and reference the language and the crack on my car in the other post.....Or are you just one sided here Cranky?

Last edited:
I do not disagree with your first point......I give a green check....

Maybe you should due the due diligence and reference the language and the crack on my car in the other post.....Or are you just one sided here Cranky?[/QUOTE

Sorry I couldn’t help myself. LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back