• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reaction time......at traffic lights

Yep I did it when I had my srt8 charger, but true about running red lights here in Cali people are always in a stupid hurry around here. I don't get the same reaction when I try it with my ram 3500 diesel lol
My 2500 Dodge diesel will barely squall the tires leaving at an idle but moves pretty decent for weighing 6000 lbs....but if I power brake it just a little then mat it, it's nothing but tire smoke and it's still stock except for a straight pipe.

I haven't tried to power brake it yet, it's the new high output 6.7L dually so I'll try it and see if I can wheel spin, see if it really is around 850 ft lbs of torque lol course traction control will be off

I use to all the time when I was much younger,
until I saw a guy get T-Boned from a guy running a yellow/red doing it right in-front of me, when I was in my 30's IIRC,
I do still somewhat like to leave 1st, but I'm allot more cautious...
kind of depends much more on my surroundings & the situation now...

I haven't tried to power brake it yet, it's the new high output 6.7L dually so I'll try it and see if I can wheel spin, see if it really is around 850 ft lbs of torque lol course traction control will be off
Mine is old but just now broke with 140k miles. Not bad for a 97 lol.

In the Bay Area, drivers have to finish their texting before leaving.

ILMFAO on that one...

or finish her makeup
or fat a$$ finishing shoveling down his/her burger & fries

One day some years back I remember as I was at a lite and it turned green and I was slow to hit the gas. I thank god I was because just as I hit the gas in my pick-up I was driving a kid on a bike shot across the road on a bike trying to get across before the lite turned green. Scared the crap out of me as I knew if I had taken off faster I would have hit him. So on the street I always look all around before taking off. Ron

I find myself doing I a lot......I have not run a car (at the strip) for years!

one foggy dark morning I was driving to work in the early A.M.....and a guy on a frickin' bicycle with no lights in the:icon_butt: rear... was in the middle of the road pumping his *** off up a big hill ( he was so out of it he did not care) ....I rolled down my window and said "WHY?"

"That scared the bejeebies outta me!"....

I NEVER do it if I can't see who is where and doing what on the cross street.... on both sides.

You bet. Gotta learn the finish line as well. Practice chasing down cars on the X-way, and being chased. Don't need speed, just differential in speed.
Doug

Great stories. Our bug runs pretty well,and has frustrated a few people.
Bug.jpg

Cool, here's my old one, over 20 years ago now....
DSCN0399.jpg

Looking at the 1/4 glass that's a 65 or newer with a split window insert. 55 was an Oval rear glass.
Very cool car.

Ray

Well spotted gentlemen, it started out as a 72 1200, you can see from the 'as bought' picture why I took the opportunity to change the rear window....
DSCN0400.jpg
I added the air intakes to the rear panels, which fed in to an airbox and bulkhead mounted oil cooler. There was an electric fan in there as well for when stationary. The engine dress up, carb linkages, oil filler, adjustable belt tensioner and ram pipes were all homemade.

I saw the accident happen and helped the then owner with his insurance claim, he then offered me the car for what the insurer had offered him as scrap value. It was all done 'on the cheap' as I was a penniless youngster back then....

Ok so what year was the split rear window?

53 and earlier for split window. 54 through 57 for oval.

Ray

The best are the lights for the ramps to get on the freeway..Just begging to roast the tires there

The way I used to cut the light was to watch for the cross street light to change from green to yellow then red then punch it I beat the green by so little it's not even noticeable.... once you know that particular light. I never did it at every light all the time only to race but mostly at night you can see the cross lighting better. Once you know the area well you can time it so you can cruze and hit mostly greens and if you flash the hi beams rapidly some lights will change to green thinking it's an emergency vehicle coming... any other questions?
I loved that commercial when the dude would ask got a hemi in it? And everyone that saw old hot rod mopar or not would have to ask.....

I almost inadvertently caused an accident, even though it would have been their stupid fault, 4 lane city traffic, stopped at a light, we had the red, thought it turned green but was only a green arrow for the turn lane, I goosed it and hit the brakes immediately, not entering the intersection, but the idiot to my right wasn't paying attention, and I'm assuming he saw me start to leave through his peripheral vision and floored it almost hitting several cars making turns.

and since we're posting bug pics, my 70 Baja I built and sold to buy my Charger a few months ago. Picture was before I finished it, couldn't find an updated one.

Photo499_zps1494df67.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back