• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reaction time......at traffic lights

fwi

Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever worked on their reaction time at a traffic light? I don't mean racing like an idiot from light to light, I mean getting it just right when it turns green, not flooring it but just trying to get off instantly as at the strip?
Of course it isn't so easy without the 3 yellows on the tree.

I try it every once in a while but you have to be careful as it usually freaks other drivers out a little.

Just curious if anyone has ever worked on their reaction time at a traffic light? I don't mean racing like an idiot from light to light, I mean getting it just right when it turns green, not flooring it but just trying to get off instantly as at the strip?
That's hysterical! I do it all the time. I blow the other guys doors off. I suck at the track though.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes I floor it.

You can win alot of races when the other guy doesn't know your racing lol

Ray

All the time. You can watch the light for the cross street to get an idea of when yours is gonna change. Once their light turns red you know you are going green.

Must be a hot rodder thing. LoL ! Ron

I have 35 points with Nendra. I have 8000 on the street!

I won't even try it now days. There is always at least one idiot that runs the red light on the cross traffic!

In the Bay Area, drivers have to finish their texting before leaving.

This too funny!! There is one intersection where I occasionally practice cutting lights on people. It's two lanes that turn into one before a 7 mile stretch and it seems to bring out the drag racer in everyone. I'm telling ya, women are the worst!! As soon as we get going it's a race to the death with some broad in her Honda or BMW.

My favorite story from years ago was when I commuted in a 70 Bug and was stopped at a light. Same situation where the lanes neck down to one and this guy in a Volvo is creeping up about eight car lengths behind me in the other lane to get a running start when the light turns green. I of course see what's about to happen so in "full race mode" I cut a light and ran that single port 1600 Type I for all it was worth and the guy couldn't pass me. Many times it's not how much power you have but knowing how to use what you have.

I guess if you get a traffic ticket, you left before the green????......................MO

This too funny!! There is one intersection where I occasionally practice cutting lights on people. It's two lanes that turn into one before a 7 mile stretch and it seems to bring out the drag racer in everyone. I'm telling ya, women are the worst!! As soon as we get going it's a race to the death with some broad in her Honda or BMW.

My favorite story from years ago was when I commuted in a 70 Bug and was stopped at a light. Same situation where the lanes neck down to one and this guy in a Volvo is creeping up about eight car lengths behind me in the other lane to get a running start when the light turns green. I of course see what's about to happen so in "full race mode" I cut a light and ran that single port 1600 Type I for all it was worth and the guy couldn't pass me. Many times it's not how much power you have but knowing how to use what you have.

I would of flown to the states and paid you money just to see you dragging a 70 bug at the lights

In California it's customary to have 4 or 5 people run the red light. So no. I'm already afraid some moron is going to play bumper car with me.

I used to do this, but now I prefer a quick nap at a red light.

I would of flown to the states and paid you money just to see you dragging a 70 bug at the lights

When I was a kid I had a 72 1200 bug, with a 1600 twin port twin carb lump bolted on to the 1200 box, with a quickshifter and big BFG's I could beat most things away from the lights, until It got to about 50mph, then it was game over.....

I won't even try it now days. There is always at least one idiot that runs the red light on the cross traffic!
That was my thought too.

In the Bay Area, drivers have to finish their texting before leaving.
Seems like I'm always the only one that will lean on the horn when that happens. They usually give me the finger but they get the horn even quicker at the next light then I get beside them and let them listen to my straight pipe :D

Had a 71 Super Beetle that had that crappy auto stick but it was faster than a 4 speed bug up to about 80. It got off the line pretty good by bringing up the R's and letting go of the shifter then slapping it for each gear. Never tired power shifting a 4 speed bug but thing thing was pretty fast shifting. Since it was only a 3 speed, first gear would go up to around 35 or so and would just move away from a 4 speed bug but all in all, the damn thing was still slow and was a POS. I hated that car lol

Yep I did it when I had my srt8 charger, but true about running red lights here in Cali people are always in a stupid hurry around here. I don't get the same reaction when I try it with my ram 3500 diesel lol

Auto Transport Service
Back