• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready for NMCA Norwalk

Since you know what to do, no big deal. As a drag racer we break stuff, then fix it. I'm sure you will get back in the game quickly.

DRAG RACING.jpg

Well didnt work out. Trying to run 9.25 index. 9.18@145 on the 1st pass with 175lbs ballast. Pulled 7 degrees timing on pass #2. 10.12@133????? Why so slow? Went to move the car and the push button shifter buttons were stuck. Melted shift cable? Nope. Pulled the pan and valve body. The rooster comb detent ball had a sliver of metal jamming it. The magnet has a lot of fine steel stuck. More than i've ever seen. My bet is the stator isnt being held internal to the converter. Back home. Ill tear it apart and see.
Doug
That really sucks, sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear about the troubles.
Automatic transmissions are a mystery wrapped in an enigma to me, although I know they can be learned and worked on in a home garage.
As long as my transmission issues are confined to the clutch at least I can work on that myself.
Go get 'em next time Doug!

Got it apart yesterday. The pump housing and gears are scored a bit from metal. They'll be replaced. The torington in the conveter is toast. It also broke one mounting lug off the converter. I have a spare conveter.
Doug

20220828_153857.jpg

20220828_153718.jpg

32105.jpeg

Damn! Lot of expensive looking stuff right there. I imagine you can reassemble that with your eyes closed.

So what do you think was the main cause of failure?

Broke off a convertor lug. That sounds pretty bad. What would cause that? I know you have no problem doing the internals. But fix broken stuff & back to racing.

Wow, the bolt lug breaking off....that seems to be the trend. John Rendes had the same thing happen. What do you think caused that?

Tough break this time around Doug. But the good news is that you’ll improve it and it’ll be better than before.

Trans and spare converter are back in. We'll be at Milan on the 17th.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back