• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear axles not seating correctly

Wojo68

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
Took my rear axles out to press in some lug studs. Putting them back in. First one seemed to go in ok. Found the sweet spot. Other side seems to be hanging out, just less than 1/4 in to much. To make matters worse the internet is sporadic here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some 8-3/4 rears have a little shim or spacer in the center that the axles butt up to. Maybe it slipped out and dropped down. If so, you may have to pull the center section out to get it back in place.

Took my rear axles out to press in some lug studs. Putting them back in. First one seemed to go in ok. Found the sweet spot. Other side seems to be hanging out, just less than 1/4 in to much. To make matters worse the internet is sporadic here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your rear an open rear or a suregrip?

Got this last year, I’m just getting to the rear end

Sure grip

There is a thrust button inside the suregrip. The end of the axle buts against it for adjusting the axle end play. Sometimes the pin that holds them in the suregrip breaks and one half might drop out or get lodged when removing the axle.

Remove the axle in question and try to look up the housing tube with a strong flashlight to see if its in place or not.

Could be your bearing race isn't seated all the way also.

Looking into the axle tube. There is no button in this one.
Screenshot_20190927-210853.jpg

This is a set of thrust buttons with the pin that has been taken apart. The red arrows are the buttons, the blue arrow is the pin that holds them together. The buttons are inserted one on each side. If the pin is broken, one of the buttons could be stuck to the axle when removing and become dislodged not allowing your axel to go in all the way.
Screenshot_20190927-211922.jpg

This is where the button is inserted. I dont have a pic with one in it's place.
Screenshot_20190927-211040.jpg

Last edited:
There is a thrust button inside the suregrip. The end of the axle buts against it for adjusting the axle end play. Sometimes the pin that holds them in the suregrip breaks and one half might drop out or get lodged when removing the axle.

Remove the axle in question and try to look up the housing tube with a strong flashlight to see if its in place or not.

Pics to come...
I was wondering that myself. I’ve heard of that If you have a pic, that’d be cool. Not 100 percent sure what exactly I’m looking for

Actually I see something down the tube, sticking out from the gear side.

View attachment 841532

This is a set of thrust buttons with the pin that has been taken apart. The red arrows are the buttons, the blue arrow is the pin that holds them together. The buttons are inserted one on each side. If the pin is broken, one of the buttons could be stuck to the axle when removing and become dislodged not allowing your axel to go in all the way.
View attachment 841551

View attachment 841558
Looks like the bigger one on the right, I believe

View attachment 841532

View attachment 841551

View attachment 841558
I’ll keep you updated. Really appreciate your time/knowledge. Thanks man

Which SG do you have? Cone typically found in a "489" case or a clutch likely in a "742" case.
Do you have tapered bearings with the end play adjuster on the passenger side? If so you need the thrust spacers. The spacers are removed for "green" non-adjust axle bearings.
upload_2019-9-27_21-34-42.png

If the axle retainer flange cocks on the studs, it may impede the axle going in.

Which SG do you have? Cone typically found in a "489" case or a clutch likely in a "742" case.
Do you have tapered bearings with the end play adjuster on the passenger side? If so you need the thrust spacers. The spacers are removed for "green" non-adjust axle bearings.
View attachment 841580

If the axle retainer flange cocks on the studs, it may impede the axle going in.[/QUOT
I have the 741. I’m guessing clutch type

If the center spacer is in place, could just be the axle bearing outer race fit.

Ran into the same thing, wouldn't slip in, the final quarter inch. I had replaced the axle bearing. A couple taps with a dead blow hammer, and it seated into place. You can tell if the axle is hitting something. Be sure you have the endplay adjuster backed off some.

Well, I should’ve started this by saying I had the green bearings. My bad. Kryslerkid set me straight. Can’t thank him enough! I had to punch out the pin that connected those two thrust buttons. Thank you for the input guys!

0D206EA9-836E-4ED5-B3A2-D1956294A514.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back