• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear disc brakes off Gr. Cherokee on 8 3/4?

69R/Tcharger

Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
hey guys, i was looking around for a bodies only and saw a thread about putting the rear disc brakes off of a Gr. Cherokee onto an 8 3/4 and apparently it's not supposed to be much work. But the guys on there didn't really give a straight answer about how easy it realy was, or even if it couldbe done??? so i figured i'd ask here. Has anyone done this swap? Do you know anyone that's done this swap? If it does work what year Gr. Cherokee do the brakes need to come off. Things like that. I was wanting to do this to my rear end but would really like a straight answer on whether it works or not before i get into it. Thanks!!

i got talking a bit more to the guy who tried it on FABO and he said that you need to drill a fifth hole in the dust shield and caliper mount and the only other problem (which he hasn't solved yet) is that the offset is wrong, the rotor doesn't line up with the caliper. Again has anyone done this or know how to do it? I'm just curous and it's so much cheaper then buying a kit.

I've asked the same ???'s over on FABO, and it seems that the 94-98 rear disc's are the ones to use, but some problem with the rotor offset to the caliper. No one will or has posted pics for the 8 3/4 just the 8 1/4.

ya that's the problem i was told about as well, the whole offset thing, i was just wondering if anyone over here had a fix for it??

I've heard it was a straight forward swap over but issue was with built in parking brake that if you had an automatic and didnt need one that it fit just fine other than that if you wanted to run the GC parking brake you needed to mill some stuff. I want to try it on my wagon.

Looks to me like there are two options here ,..........1- Buy the correct kit which is New, with the correct hardware that is Engineered for proper fitment on this application and get it right the first time...........or 2- Save some cash, Scrounge up some used parts, encounter numerous headaches due to fit and alignment problems and still have to deal with Brake issues.............Hum,........Personally, I would just go ahead and Write the Check, but that's just Me. :grin:

For me personally, I've got alot more time than money----but on the other hand you can get a kit for 500 bones and that's not bad.

For me personally, I've got alot more time than money----but on the other hand you can get a kit for 500 bones and that's not bad.

I can Agree, ....Most people do have more time, ....but when it comes to the Brakes which I am going to depend on to stop the car I wouldn't skimp and personally I want my Mopars right. ...I DON'T HALF-*** NOTHING. :no:

500.00 for correctly working brakes is a lot cheaper than accident repair because you didn't have good brakes. The thoughts would make it a bargain for me.

Looks to me like there are two options here ,..........1- Buy the correct kit which is New, with the correct hardware that is Engineered for proper fitment on this application and get it right the first time...........or 2- Save some cash, Scrounge up some used parts, encounter numerous headaches due to fit and alignment problems and still have to deal with Brake issues.............Hum,........Personally, I would just go ahead and Write the Check, but that's just Me. :grin:

Where do I purchase option one?

Ebay, Summit racing, Inline tube, Dr. Diff, just to name a few.

Ebay, Summit racing, Inline tube, Dr. Diff, just to name a few.

Save for the Wilwood kit, everything I looked at uses garbage GM calipers. I was hoping someone actually made a proper rear disc conversion. For example: Real calipers that don't use proprietary pads, e-brake in the hat, something that looks and functions as if it were put on at the factory.

I guess I'll keep looking. :yes:

I've looked for the same thing you are, but still have'nt found it. Wilwood is the next best thing, but too pricey for my wallet.

i hear what you mean about doing it right, and that's what i'm trying to do, figure out how to do it right instead of just throwing these brakes at and and not caring if the offset is wrong, there will be a way to make it work, i guess i just have to figure it out how. I really don't have the money for a nice swap, believe me if i did i would spend the $$.

Auto Transport Service
Back