• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear gear for 4 speed question

3rdelke

Local time
9:44 PM
Reaction score
thanks to everyone who has helped my son and I build his dream car. we are approaching our one year anniversary on his 67 gtx clone, 477 dual quad stroker, race fuel street car. finally got it eatin' pretty good. it seems clear with this many horses our 4:10 dana is way to low for any pleasurable street driving. mini tub with 8 inch street tires provides almost no bite. If you pedal it a little only in first gear for about a second. and second just a little longer. Seems like if we did try to run a quarter mile we would be up against the rev limiter on the big end. thanks. BTW kevin got to drive it for the first time last month, on his recent trip home, lets just say he had some fun. thanks...Bob IMGP0213.jpg

race fuel "street" stroker with a 4.10 gear? I bet he did :)

How tall are the tires? You need 28 inch drag radials/slicks

My hemi-wagon has a 528, with 275's in the rear and a 3.54 Dana. It had a 4.10, and really kept the thing buzzin'. It's much more driveable at this point, and how I think it'd be even better with less convertor. I can assume your car has plenty of grunt, and would be more friendly with the 3.54 range gears. I was looking for on of the old Ford 3.33's.....but it never happened.

I had a 3.73:1 in my last 383/479ci combo did well on the hwy & track

good compromise between the 2,
actually mph'd a bunch better at the track from a 4.10:1

I tried a 4.30:1 gear it was a bear on the street, the hwy was just insane
I tried the 3.91:1 too, didn't lose any et & actually gained mph going from the 4.10:1's
no real 60ft loss either, minimal 660ft loss too a couple of hundredths between the best
with the 4.30:1 & a 3.73:1 gear 479ci/383 4.290"/0.040" over 4.15" stroker, 3800 stall
that actually flashed more like 4200 with the 3.73:1 gears, worked out great {IN MY COMBO}

3.73:1 would be my suggestion for a good all around gear...

thanks guys, we are considering 3:23s with our 4 speed...whadda ya think. we have not bought our tires yet, kev talked to local performance tire guy, he says even with our mini tub ten inches in width may be the limit, never thought to ask about how tall...duh. bob

3.23S are an 8 3/4 ratio, but I think you can get a 3.33.
I have an 8 3/4 with 3.23s I'd be happy to swap you!!

Auto Transport Service
Back