• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear spring swap/compatability, wagon vs. 2-door/4-door ??

halfafish

Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
My 72 Coronet wagon's rear springs are clearly tired. They are almost flat as it sits, making the rear end noticeably low. I've been checking for new springs but not finding anything so far. Is the spring on a wagon unit specific, or is it the same as a 2-door or 4-door model? Any clues who to call for new ones?

TIA!

Measure front eye to rear shackle eye and ask what's the length your buying, should be an inch or so shorter. Was told once wagon springs were 2" longer but don't think it is true.

I had ESPO springs on my '73 wagon (had because I recently sold my wagon). I put them on it about 20 yrs ago. Before I bought the ESPO springs, I had a set of springs off a factory big block 4 dr. The 4dr sat a little high in the back with just the springs, so I figured they would work.......nope. Swapped out the springs, and it went straight to the bump stops.
With that being said, and this is not a complaint, but, I bought the 1 inch over springs and they pretty much leveled out by the 5 yr mark. Normal for new 1 inch over springs to do that? I wouldn't think so, but they never got worse and I never looked into it.
The only installation issue I ran into, which really wasn't and issue, was the locating pin for the saddle was for '72 back not the '73-up iso clamp set up. I just swapped them over from my old springs.

EDIT: when I bought my springs ESPO had a comprehensive catalog online, now it looks like you have to call in, but they do show B-body springs....66-73 Belvedere, Charger, Satellite, etc. (B-body) $230-$280/pair

Auto Transport Service
Back