• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild convertible hydraulic pistons

I'm sure you know they're $139 ea from a seller on ebay. Any local hydraulic rebuild service and supply? Your shafts have to be in good shape.

Rebuilt many hydraulic cylinders in my life but never anything as small as convertible top cylinders. If all that is wrong with them are seals and you can get them apart and get replacement parts it is fairly easy. If something is crimped, the barrel or rod scored or parts unavailable that will make it difficult. You also have to look at cost. We had some snow plow cylinders that by the time you bought a kit and figured an hours worth of labor you had more in it than the cost of a new one.

The head flange is secured to the tube with a rolled bead,....Not designed to be rebuilt.. For the cost of new ones it's not worth getting deep into repairing them...

s-l500.jpg

The head flange is secured to the tube with a rolled bead,....Not designed to be rebuilt.. For the cost of new ones it's not worth getting deep into repairing them...

View attachment 1404060
Thanks for pointing that detail out. At a glance I thought the end caps were threaded.
What do you know about the pins that the piston hangs from. Pic shows pin closest to body shell backing out.

20230118_183708.jpg

After further investigation, pin that is loose seems to need 3 tabs to press fit pin to top assembly. I would guess locating this small part is about a bazillion:1?

20230118_193330.jpg

20230118_193405.jpg

Those three spots are spot welds... Just weld it back on the frame...

I'd like to tell you a minor leak just lubricates the seal... Unfortunately no, leakage is a problem...

Back in the 90's I picked up a dozen cylinders in Pick & Pull off the old K car Lebaron convertibles.. They were a direct replacement for E body cylinders...

Unfortunately the B body cylinders are longer so when I got my B body vert I too had to bite the bullet...

Those three spots are spot welds... Just weld it back on the frame...

I'd like to tell you a minor leak just lubricates the seal... Unfortunately no, leakage is a problem...

Back in the 90's I picked up a dozen cylinders in Pick & Pull off the old K car Lebaron convertibles.. They were a direct replacement for E body cylinders...

Unfortunately the B body cylinders are longer so when I got my B body vert I too had to bite the bullet...
Thank you for the help and insight Wild R/T

Auto Transport Service
Back