• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding 383??????

okiemopar

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
I need to pull the motor out of my 70 RoadRunner to clean it up on the inside. The machine shop put the #4 cam bearing in it wrong and i need to get that fixed plus just wash it all out and clean it up. It has about 3k miles on it, can I reuse my rings and just put new bearings and gaskets in it? Would it have to be rehoned are just put it back together? I want to get it right because it is the number matching block. Thanks for any advice. Ronnie

You realy have to wait and see what the cylinders look like before making any decisions on honing and rings.
But if it wasnt smoking or using oil I would say the rings would be fine to reuse.

X2 about checking the condition of the bores, but if they look good then I'd mark the pistons and rings so they can go back exactly like they came out. Likewise with the bearings if they still have crush, but it probably won't hurt to just throw some new inserts and a rear main seal in there.

It was all new a while back, bored, pistons and every thing in the motor. I'm afraid I got some shavings in it and I want to get it cleaned up. It doesn't smoke are use any oil.

I wiped a cam out a few years ago, so I had the block cleaned and lightly re-honed, then replaced all the bearings, the rings and the oil pump, and installed a new cam.

If you are replacing the bearings, why not replace the rings too. Dingleberry, not hone, the cylinders to deglaze them, and install new rings.

I'd go with '69bee'..As long as it's apart, might as well re-ring it and deglaze the cyl. walls.

Auto Transport Service
Back