• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

recently rebuilt 1962 413 motor

This is a MOPAR not a chubby............. there are no teeth on the distributor so It can not be a tooth off.

He meant a tooth on the distributor / oil pump drive gear. Initial timing setup on a fresh motor is just to get it started, timing needs adjustment during breakin - it could easily be off a tooth.

This is a MOPAR not a chubby............. there are no teeth on the distributor so It can not be a tooth off.
Thank-you! I stand corrected, as there is a 'SLOT' at the end of the distributor shaft, that engages the oil pump. The distributor could be 180 degree's out-of-sync, but not sure the car would start...

1[
11111111111111111111111111mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Someone asked for the specs- post them up
how far down the hole are the pistons forged or cast
which heads
what's the quench
otherwise what's the real compression stillhigh compression stock or did the builder outsmart himself dropping the compression height our use rebuilder pistons???
which "purple cam"
lots of good suggestions
first thing is to pull a spark plug and bring the piston- you can use a bbq skewer to feel the piston come up to tdc then check the timing
you can then put a degree wheel on the crank and and a dial indicator on the intake retainer and check the timing- you might do a compression check first- it will tell you if you are way off

I had my 62 413 motor rebuilt by a local, and I thought, trusted engine shop. They put in a mopar purple cam. Long story short: It sounds great at idle. Really good. But, on the road, will barely get to 40MPH, and flattens out at about 70MPH. A good friend suggested they might have installed the cam at the wrong degrees. Another friend is saying the cam is too aggressive, and just swap it out with a milder cam. Anyone else have this similar problem after a fresh build? Thanks!
I had a 1964 Dodge 330 with a 383 and push button 727. It was a former Illinois State Police car. When my car began dropping in mph, finally to about 45 mph as you indicated, I changed the fuel filter and problem was solved. I wouldn't assume any errors on the part of the builder until you check the fuel system and then the ignition system.

He meant a tooth on the distributor / oil pump drive gear. Initial timing setup on a fresh motor is just to get it started, timing needs adjustment during breakin - it could easily be off a tooth.
Who, when working on rebuilding and reinstalling an engine, would slide a distributor back into an engine WITHOUT checking the initial timing setting? Just sayin'.

I had my 62 413 motor rebuilt by a local, and I thought, trusted engine shop. They put in a mopar purple cam. Long story short: It sounds great at idle. Really good. But, on the road, will barely get to 40MPH, and flattens out at about 70MPH. A good friend suggested they might have installed the cam at the wrong degrees. Another friend is saying the cam is too aggressive, and just swap it out with a milder cam. Anyone else have this similar problem after a fresh build? Thanks!
Hi Spence. I just saw your post. We had the exact problem with a fresh 440 stroker motor rebuilt at a local shop. I thought it was definitely the cam... so I pulled it apart & it was in wrong... the shop put it in and timed it with the wrong mark on the crank gear. I reset it and now it runs like it should. Ours had dish pistons so none of the valves hit. If yours doesn't it could have possible valve damage. I would reset your timing and then do a compression test before you put the front end back together. Brad

Auto Transport Service
Back