• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendation Garage Floor Epoxy/Paint

Burnishing, polishing, and troweling are all the same thing. A trowel, whether powered or by hand, can get a concrete floor slick enough you can't stand on it if you aren't careful. If you're leaving black streaks with a trowel, it's getting too slick.

No sealer.
How do you like the polished floors? My parents garage is polished and still looks really good after 40 years, but they don't park in it as the previous owner built it so small you probably couldn't get a VW Beetle in it. I know it's slicker than snot when wet. How does it hold up to stains, like oil or transmission fluid?

We are building a house and I have no idea if I want to epoxy or polish. Anyone know the main differences, advantages / disadvantages of either?

Easy sweep up, and it being slick has never been a problem for the 20+ years we had a polished (burnished) floor at our old house. Stains; yes, oil will seep into the concrete and leave a stain.

jrmummy I just checked epoxy-coat.com and their kit is $320 for 500sqft. My garage is 660sqft. That is pricy. Are all of these epoxies that expensive?

jrmummy I just checked epoxy-coat.com and their kit is $320 for 500sqft. My garage is 660sqft. That is pricy. Are all of these epoxies that expensive?
Yes they are. The Home Depot and Lowes product are less but people complain of coverage problems and quality.

Yes if you want a commerical grade epoxy...its $$$. The one from HD big box stores are water based epoxy that dont last as long and not as durable. The floors
was a larger investment than what I thought but it looks great and has been holding up good so far.

Easy sweep up, and it being slick has never been a problem for the 20+ years we had a polished (burnished) floor at our old house. Stains; yes, oil will seep into the concrete and leave a stain.
So you would have to seal it then to prevent stains? Would that be clear epoxy or something else?

Some people were saying in their comments that the clear sealer was causing their floors to have a milky or cloudy appearance. It could be they were not applying it properly? Almost all of them said; make sure you read the instructions first, which we often neglect. They also said send in your warranty information to cover you in case there is an issue with the batch you get. I would think taking before and after pictures would help if you ever have to prove you followed their directions. I am going to save up for this next step. What is the minimum temperature you can lay epoxy down? It's in the 50's now in the northeast. If that is too cold, I may just wait until spring?

Some people were saying in their comments that the clear sealer was causing their floors to have a milky or cloudy appearance. It could be they were not applying it properly? Almost all of them said; make sure you read the instructions first, which we often neglect. They also said send in your warranty information to cover you in case there is an issue with the batch you get. I would think taking before and after pictures would help if you ever have to prove you followed their directions. I am going to save up for this next step. What is the minimum temperature you can lay epoxy down? It's in the 50's now in the northeast. If that is too cold, I may just wait until spring?
See my posts 16 and 19 above. There is a technical data sheet attached to 16 that gives temperature requirements.

I stained and sealed mine, cleans easily and no milky look.

I know this might be blasphemy but what is everyone’s thoughts on the rubber floor tiles?

NJRR what would be the cost for my 22' X 30' garage?

we use the bengamin moore on our semi truck shop and it holds up well. we re paint it every year but its put to the test daily. mostly from doing brake jobs and stuff like that. we run 100 trucks through this shop weekly. it what ill be putting on my shop floor at the house. it has a catalyst that has to be mixed in and let set for 30 minutes or so and then you roll it on. we let ours dry 24 to 36 hours before we get back on it. depends on the temperature when we roll it. the hotter the weather the better.

Auto Transport Service
Back