• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing valve cover on Max Wedge

skyman51

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
My right valve cover on a 1963 Max Wedge is leaking just below the breather onto the exhaust manifold. Can I assume the valve covers can be removed without taking anything else off?

I've done it when I was running my Max Wedge but the upper bolts may have been allens for easier access.

To be clear, it is the right one while sitting behind the wheel. The one with the exhaust manifold almost touching it.

I was running headers but having to modify a socket or make a tool wouldn't be out of the question to gain access to an otherwise difficult area.

I've done it when I was running my Max Wedge but the upper bolts may have been allens for easier access.

Got it, but the right valve cover (alternator side) will clear the exhaust manifold and everything else? It looks like linkage or a bracket for the rear carb may be in the way. Obviously the valve covers come off to adjust the valves without having to disassemble the car.

Last edited:
I never ran into that problem but I didn't have a factory correct max car so I don't know for sure. I will agree with your thoughts of not having to disassemble the engine to adjust valves so it must be possible.

I am in good hands. I spoke with NHRA great, Kenny Montgomery. famous for the 65 Hemi Belvedere, "Triple Nickle" He is still operating a shop with his son in suburban Philly. He is going to take care of it for me, as well as check the whole car out.:hello2:

Geez, that's almost cheating!

As unbelievable as it is, Ken still has the 65 Race Hemi Belvedere he bought new, and the 68 Race Hemi Cuda that he bought new. His father started this shop and he has been racing since the at least the early sixties. Very nice guy!

That is fantastic! If I were closer I'd pester you to take me with you. Post a report (with pics) if you can.

That is fantastic! If I were closer I'd pester you to take me with you. Post a report (with pics) if you can.[/QUOTE

I will try and get photos. I just hope he can do this without messing up any of the painted areas. The engine was painted when it was rebuilt and out of the car, including the valve covers. The 426 Ramcharger decals were than applied.

Auto Transport Service
Back