• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement lights on my 69 RR

CandianRunner69

Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of Halogens from Octane Lighting. For the most part they look to be a direct replacement except for one thing. The High Beam has a 2 pin set up while my replacement bulbs are a 3 pin. A buddy of told me it won't make a difference. Started work on this last night, then popped my knee, so I'm kinda done for a week or two. Electrical is not my strongest discipline...... Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Grant

So I also bought a set of lights from Octane BUT mine are leds. The third pin is bent over and there is a note the box explaining it. But basically the bulbs are one and the same.

Sweet... that helps a ton... thx... I don't recall seeing paperwork in the box... but I will double check....
Thanks again...
Stay safe out there...

Grant

Sweet... that helps a ton... thx... I don't recall seeing paperwork in the box... but I will double check....
Thanks again...
Stay safe out there...

Grant
Now that I have refreshed my memory, I remember that bent over pin!
Mike

Well the paperwork was only to explain why the pin was bent on the high beams and telling the buyer NOT to try bending it back. Since yours aren't bent ... no paperwork !!

Need a passenger door for that car ??

Currently our doors are in good shape....
But I'll keep it in mind....

19221459_10213274132426698_7925763249663840451_o.jpg

Tried the installs last night.... looks like the old wiring harness is brittle... a couple wires broke in the connectors... it looks like it burn the connectors on the halogen bulb... hope its still ok... So i either need a new front light harness or new connectors...

Thoughts ?

Tried the installs last night.... looks like the old wiring harness is brittle... a couple wires broke in the connectors... it looks like it burn the connectors on the halogen bulb... hope its still ok... So i either need a new front light harness or new connectors...

Thoughts ?
I recently posted this source for ceramic headlamp connectors: http://www.autolumination.com/connectors.htm
I recommend rewiring with 12 gauge and using 2 relays, one each for hi and lo beams. Actuate relays with dimmer switch.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that info... Just need to get a couple of H4 and H3 sockets. Can you explain the last comment "Actuate relays with dimmer switch". As I mentioned... electrical is not my strong point... Also... the factory setup has 2 wires going into each plug socket.. Replacements have one wire each. I hate sounding dumb with this stuff, this is something I haven't come across yet. I appreciate all your help..

Thanks

Grant

What he's saying is the old wiring is not sufficient to handle the load and everything dims when the lights are turned on. Even the headlights are dim. By running a heavy gauge through relays the headlights get full current BUT stock switches can't handle that so you use the switches to low current to operate the relays. Current and voltage are two different things.

This is a pretty simple mod. You can leave the stock wiring in place to run the relays. Maybe someone on here has a link to how to do this.

These guys sell a kit - probably has instructions !!
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog.shtml

Also... the factory setup has 2 wires going into each plug socket.. Replacements have one wire each.

I think the second wire is to jump to the 2nd light. So the first light will have a wire in and a wire out (two wire) but the 2nd light will only have one. Same for highs and lows. So they join(splice) at the terminal but you can do the splice at the wire instead of at the terminal.

looks like the old wiring harness is brittle.

As much issues as electric can cause, it's best just to replace. I got a complete headlight harness for my Charger from these folks and it was money well spent. About 180.-. Evans is usually at Carlisle. Hopefully he'll be there this year. Hopefully we all will.

http://www.evanswiring.com/catalog.htm

Now is the ideal time to "upgrade". The relay kits are less expensive than a new harness and will work much better. You've upgraded the headlights, now give them the power to do the job.

Gents,
I appreciate all the great info... The Mopar brotherhood never disappoints.... I'll keep everyone posted...

Thanks again.

I suggest you find a wiring diagram for your year and model and study the wire routing. I think it will clear up some of your questions. If you have more come on back!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back