• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacing broken Craftsman

sam dupont

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
I just parted a '69 RR far in the field. I stripped it bare, but I broke my 1/2 inch ratchet, then my 3/8ths, then my 1/4 inch. I/m glad to say I got everything that was salvageable before I ran out of tools. I haven't had to replace a ratchet since Sears, so where is the best place to go, since everybody in the World sells Craftsman.

Don't know if there is a best place to go to....just go to one of the stores that sell the brand and see if they will swap it out. If one of your ratchets are fine tooth, just make sure that's what you get as a replacement. Sears tried to force me to take a course tooth ratchet as a replacement for my fine tooth years ago and hell no. The fine tooth is much more expensive plus they work a lot better in tight spots.

Just asking for my own education - was the free replacement policy one from Craftsman or one from Sears. Lowes carries Craftsman here now but curious if they honor the same policy?

My local ACE hardware store gladly replaced one of my Craftsman ratchets, no questions. I have so many Craftsman tools I can't count. I'm happy ACE is following through. Even though the new stuff is not nearly the quality of 50 years ago.

If you broke a USA... expect a China. :D
That's pretty much a given!

Just asking for my own education - was the free replacement policy one from Craftsman or one from Sears. Lowes carries Craftsman here now but curious if they honor the same policy?
Craftsman

Ya, the one I broke was a China product. My 50 year old stuff still does the job.
The one I broke was one I bought in the 70's.....and wasn't using a cheater pipe either. The majority of my ratchets and sockets are Craftsman but these days I have a large mix of other brands too. A lot of it came from estate sales and a friend's husband passed away several years ago and she gave me a good amount of SnapOn tools that he had. I did cut down a tree for her and made up a tote bag of basic hand tools that she could use around the house etc.

Rummage through the pawn shops box of tools for a nice old one. Chances are that you'll find a older model that WAS MiA!

Lowes carries Craftsman here, I brought in a broken socket and they asked if I bought it there and for a receipt.

I commented, so you're going to make me buy one, then return my broken one the next day?
Sure, you'll get my $, but we'll both be out the cost of 1 socket, except I'll have 2 and you'll have my broken one.

On another note, I used to be able to find American made Craftsman sockets and other smalls in the single item section, not so much anymore.

Rummage through the pawn shops box of tools for a nice old one. Chances are that you'll find a older model that WAS MiA!
Used to go to the pawn shops all the time and well, finding quality ratchets etc was few and far between. Most of the stuff was cheap crap and abused. Estate sales have been different but you gotta be there early before they open....or find someone that does estate sales and 'hire' on with them. I did that for several years but lots of times I came home owing them money instead of them owing me lol. Wouldn't mind doing them again but not during the summer time. I usually worked the garage and none of them had AC.

Ahe the old days, bought a top box craftsman at a garage sale for 20 bucks ....box and tools where rusted ....? went to sears and they replacd every thing including the top box itself.? I remember a total of $200 or more.......
Those where the days.....

Craftsman has been Chinese forever. since the 1980's I believe, US Law states that an item has to have a certain percentage of American made parts to be: " Made in USA".
For Craftsman tools, I was told that they made them in China and chrome plated them in the US. That percentage of work qualified them as: Made in USA.

Yes, I was totally abusing the 1/4 inch when I broke it, but a replacement was 100 miles away.

I have mixed batch of tools also. Some Snap On and Mac stuff for my days working as a mechanic. Good luck getting that stuff warrantied if you're not on a tool truck route. I also have quite bit of older Craftsman, SK and Proto stuff from my Dad, estate sales, flea markets, etc. I do agree about trying to find an older used replacement ratchet or get a kit and rebuild it. I have had good luck getting Lowe's to warranty Craftsman screwdrivers and sockets.

I still have My 1/2 drive shallow 12 points I got when I started Trade School for mechanics in 72. I have not been easy on them using Impacts and cheater bars ect. Never split any, good old MIA. Still have the ratchet too.

Craftsman has been Chinese forever. since the 1980's I believe, US Law states that an item has to have a certain percentage of American made parts to be: " Made in USA".
For Craftsman tools, I was told that they made them in China and chrome plated them in the US. That percentage of work qualified them as: Made in USA.

Yes, I was totally abusing the 1/4 inch when I broke it, but a replacement was 100 miles away.
I bought most of my Craftsman tools in ‘07-‘08. They were all made in USA then. Sears moved the entire production over to China in ‘09... and didn’t lower one price. I was happy to see that burning ship go down. **** em. :D

DC4B833A-C3D5-4164-BF22-39290D105B76.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back