• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retro Fit LED Bulbs

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:18 AM
Reaction score
Before I go through and replace all four running light bulbs and the proper flasher, will my blinkers work with none LED bulbs, in the dash indicators ?

Thanks

Before I go through and replace all four running light bulbs and the proper flasher, will my blinkers work with none LED bulbs, in the dash indicators ?

Thanks
Bump

No body..... I guess were all in good company on this one.

Thanks

What causes the blinkers not to work is the fact that the "old fashion" flasher works on the fact that the bulbs draw a lot of amps, which causes the bi-metal strip to heat up, disconnect, cool, then connect again - causing the flashing result in the signals.

The reason LED bulb don't work is that the LED bulbs draw FAR LESS current and as a result they do not heat up the bi-metal strip so the flasher cannot work properly.

Replacing the (4) bulbs at the corners has no affect on the bulbs that you have in your dash for an indicator. You did state that you would also replace the flasher and install an "electronic solid state" flasher ( note that they are also polar specific - if it doesn't work, you'll need to swap the (+) and (-) leads going into the flasher ).

With the (4) corner bulbs swapped, and the flasher replaced, you should be up and running file. NOTE - got that exact setup on my 1966 Shoebox and the indicators are working fine in the vehicle.

Go for it - you'll love the results . . .

What causes the blinkers not to work is the fact that the "old fashion" flasher works on the fact that the bulbs draw a lot of amps, which causes the bi-metal strip to heat up, disconnect, cool, then connect again - causing the flashing result in the signals.

The reason LED bulb don't work is that the LED bulbs draw FAR LESS current and as a result they do not heat up the bi-metal strip so the flasher cannot work properly.

Replacing the (4) bulbs at the corners has no affect on the bulbs that you have in your dash for an indicator. You did state that you would also replace the flasher and install an "electronic solid state" flasher ( note that they are also polar specific - if it doesn't work, you'll need to swap the (+) and (-) leads going into the flasher ).

With the (4) corner bulbs swapped, and the flasher replaced, you should be up and running file. NOTE - got that exact setup on my 1966 Shoebox and the indicators are working fine in the vehicle.

Go for it - you'll love the results . . .

Many thanks for taking your time, to post response to my question. And yes, I have the electronic flashers at hand.

Many thanks for taking your time, to post response to my question. And yes, I have the electronic flashers at hand.

You're welcome - glad to help . . .

Then you should be good to go - swap them out ( so they can see your brake lights ) . . . You'll really like the LED bulbs . . . I know I do !

Auto Transport Service
Back