• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No front turn signals.

MMorgan

Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks. My first project in my 68, was to ditch all the Led mini bulbs that dont work. Also have no blinkers. After replacing all bulbs and replacing flasher . I now have lights, brake lights , running lights front, sides, and back, but only rear turn signals front turn signals don’t work on bumper lights and top fender bullet lights. Ground? If the marker lights are working, I’m not thinking it’s a bad socket? Any ideas? Also flasher works on rear only as well.

Grounds are usually where to start. Could also be a bad turn signal switch in the column.
I was told the column switch was replaced, also being the rear work fine, and not the front, would tell me it’s not the column switch. No?

The turn signal switch is actually two separate circuits. One for the front and one for the rear, they are separate due to the fact that the brake light circuit is involved with the rear signals. Your dash indicators and the outside signal lights are on the same circuit in the switch. Another thing is that the park lights and the signal lights are actually different filaments inside the bulbs (park is dim while signal is much brighter). So, having working park lights is not a good indication that the signal light circuit is ok. If you are confident that the turn signal switch is good, you most likely have a ground problem. Park lights could still light via a poor ground, but the brighter signal lights will certainly need a good ground circuit.
jus sayin....

The turn signal switch is actually two separate circuits. One for the front and one for the rear, they are separate due to the fact that the brake light circuit is involved with the rear signals. Your dash indicators and the outside signal lights are on the same circuit in the switch. Another thing is that the park lights and the signal lights are actually different filaments inside the bulbs (park is dim while signal is much brighter). So, having working park lights is not a good indication that the signal light circuit is ok. If you are confident that the turn signal switch is good, you most likely have a ground problem. Park lights could still light via a poor ground, but the brighter signal lights will certainly need a good ground circuit.
jus sayin....
The circuits being separate makes sense for sure. Being one side of the 1157’s light up . When you say “ turn signal switch” are you referring to column switch under horn? Previous owner had replaced it. But I have not verified it’s good. It’s new, I have the package it came in. I’m not sure it was installed correctly.. but thanks for your insite. I will check it out.

I had a similar problem, come to find out it was 2 things. 1st the bulbs were not getting a good ground. And 2nd they weren't sitting in the socket flush.

Ground problem. You have to really work the ones in the bumper to make them ground. I think they are two pieces that are pressed together and they lose ground between the two pieces. I think that I had to grab the socket part with pliers and rotate it to break the corrosion loose. Also they have to be grounded to the bumper with the 2 screws.
Everything that I found wrong with mine, wound up being ground and contact related, now everything works, but it was a battle.

I had a similar problem, come to find out it was 2 things. 1st the bulbs were not getting a good ground. And 2nd they weren't sitting in the socket flush.
So you were definitely on to something about the bulbs. Previous owner had done a complete LED bulb change out. I have had big issues in a previous car with that. I have changed out all bulbs , most were bad anyway. That got my rear tails, back up, side marker lights, all working. I am wondering about the sockets. I did just discover another flasher on other side of ash tray. Does front and back run separate flashers? I’m assuming a yes. It is square instead of round as the other one was. On my front bumper lights, the running light part is working. Just not the blinker part . So seems bulb is grounded and at least seated in one prong contact. But thanks for sharing. Electrical is a pain. Any info is very helpful.

Ground problem. You have to really work the ones in the bumper to make them ground. I think they are two pieces that are pressed together and they lose ground between the two pieces. I think that I had to grab the socket part with pliers and rotate it to break the corrosion loose. Also they have to be grounded to the bumper with the 2 screws.
Everything that I found wrong with mine, wound up being ground and contact related, now everything works, but it was a battle.
Thank you for that. I did make sure the ground screws were making contact on frame. Is there a good socket replacement for the bumper lights?

So you were definitely on to something about the bulbs. Previous owner had done a complete LED bulb change out. I have had big issues in a previous car with that. I have changed out all bulbs , most were bad anyway. That got my rear tails, back up, side marker lights, all working. I am wondering about the sockets. I did just discover another flasher on other side of ash tray. Does front and back run separate flashers? I’m assuming a yes. It is square instead of round as the other one was. On my front bumper lights, the running light part is working. Just not the blinker part . So seems bulb is grounded and at least seated in one prong contact. But thanks for sharing. Electrical is a pain. Any info is very helpful.
On flasher is turn, and one is for emergency 4 way hazard .
A bad ground can mean it's partially grounded, with resistance. So, not a good enough ground to run both circuits.

Replace all the fuses. It’s cheap insurance and you’ll be surprised what starts working

Replace all the fuses. It’s cheap insurance and you’ll be surprised what starts working
You are right about that. I tore dash apart today to replace dash pad, instrument cluster. when I took the fuse blockdown, it is corroded and green in back. I’m going to replace the fuse block and fresh fuses. I’m sure that will help the cause . Thank you.

Front blinker update. I have completed the Dakota dig. Dash install, did the amp guage bypass. Have replaced all led bulbs that were installed with traditional bulbs. I regained my marker lights. And front running lights with new 1157’s. Still no power to the turn signal side of front running lights, and fender top signals. They work with flashers, I have identified the blinker wires as black lt. green tracer as left, black with tan tracer as Right. I have located them in the firewall lugs and they have no power to them from inside. Where do I go next? Is there a fuse for front blinkers only? Rear work. Thanks for any help on this.

Have you verified the firewall connections are clean and intact? IMO, it has to be a bad connection somewhere between the turn signal switch and the bulb if your grounds are all good.

It sounds like a bad turn signal switch. The rears work so you know there’s power into the switch. I would check the front TS terminals on the TS switch connector to see if power is going through the switch. The front and rear circuits are isolated in the TS switch so it’s possible for one to work but not the other. If you’re getting power out of the TS switch but not at the bulkhead terminal you’ll need to trace the wires between the two. Maybe something is pinched or unplugged under the dash.

Auto Transport Service
Back