• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reuse of engine oil

jayfire

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
I have 20 miles since oil change and need to replace my oil pan gasket. I’m using good, expensive oil. Can I drain it into a new clean container and reuse it? Thanks
D3440727-73AF-4CB1-BDF2-0BEF1FE2B955.jpeg

You could re-use it, just be sure no particles drop into it. Your engine won't know if the oil has been removed and replaced. :)

Absolutely. As stated, just be sure it's drained into a super-clean container. Since your engine won't know, it'll be our secret !

Drain into a new or very clean container. If I reuse any fluids, I filter them before reusing. Paint strainers are good for that.

Years ago during the winter my father would drain the engine oil from our Farmall tractor and when he was going to use the tractor in cold temps he would set the oil container on the wood stove to warm before putting it in the tractor, thereby warming the oil and the engine somewhat so it would start!
By all means reuse the oil! As others have said just make sure its clean!

Agree, I've reused relatively new coolant when having to drain the rad. Oil? Yep, obvious to make sure the oil is pristine that's going back into the motor.

Not to hijack this thread but, I use liquid detergent bottles to refill transmission fluid when I need to make valve body adjustments. Pour the drain oil into a large funnel with a paint strainer inside through the large port on the bottle and use the dispenser button to put the oil back in the trans.
Mike

My lips are sealed, hopefully along with this leaking oil pan!
Be sure all surfaces are clean and straight/flat. I've been using
1657389520320.png
for 50 years, for mine & customers cars. Never had a comeback leak !

Be sure all surfaces are clean and straight/flat. I've been using View attachment 1310577 for 50 years, for mine & customers cars. Never had a comeback leak !
I have a bottle I plan to use. The engine was built in the late 80’s and had 40 miles put on it. I fixed the valve cover gasket and head gasket. Now that those are sealed good, the old cork oil pan gasket has given up.

I don't use a gasket! I use Permatex One Minute Gasket Maker! No leaks baby!
Works for an oil pan or Transmission pan.
No cork gaskets for me.

So is this 200 mile oil actually 30+ years old ? If so dump it.
No, it had 40 miles put on the engine in the last 30 years (Alaska) I recently changed head gaskets and oil, ran it a few miles, then changed the oil again. Now it’s fresh oil with 20 miles on it. I bought a new drain pan and will run it through paint filters before putting it back in.

On a different note of reusing engine oil. My first father in law would drain the oil from his tractors and save it. He had several older tractors and an old case 580ck. When they needed hydraulic oil he would use that. It always drove me crazy. I'd rebuild a cylinder and the thing would be full of crap. I never took a pump apart there but I'm sure the insides were not pretty.

I lived on a farm for a while. We bought very few new things, A lot of repurposing. Only thing we had to buy new was gasoline.

Engine cost thousands,
Oil change costs mabey $60.
Just me but I'm dumping in new oil.

On a different note of reusing engine oil. My first father in law would drain the oil from his tractors and save it. He had several older tractors and an old case 580ck. When they needed hydraulic oil he would use that. It always drove me crazy. I'd rebuild a cylinder and the thing would be full of crap. I never took a pump apart there but I'm sure the insides were not pretty.
I saved mine too. I had an old Chevette, it burned about a quart per month (didn't smoke though). Whenever I drained the synthetic oil from one of the 'good' cars, it went into the Chevette. :)

If you live in an area of high humidity, you
wouldn't know how much condensation
is involved. Not saying your oil would be
compromised with water vapor, but I
agree with 1967 Coronet. New, fresh
oil is cheap insurance. Save the used
oil for the lawnmower.

Auto Transport Service
Back