• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reverse manual valve body worth it or a hassle?

In the column is a notched plate that you can remove and grind the 2-3 notch so you do not have to pull the lever toward you while shifting.
The detent in the valve body is strong enough to hold each selection of the lever.
once you get the hang of it,a slight tap on the shift lever and "Click" you are in the next gear.
P.S. You can always use a Forward Manual Valve Body and then none of this is necessary.
A&A Transmission and others sell Forward Manual Valve Bodies for Chrysler Torque Flights.

In the column is a notched plate that you can remove and grind the 2-3 notch so you do not have to pull the lever toward you while shifting.
The detent in the valve body is strong enough to hold each selection of the lever.
once you get the hang of it,a slight tap on the shift lever and "Click" you are in the next gear.
P.S. You can always use a Forward Manual Valve Body and then none of this is necessary.
A&A Transmission and others sell Forward Manual Valve Bodies for Chrysler Torque Flights.

As stated earlier, it is a personal choice. Do you what to shift all of the time or not.

But if your main concern is a mis-shift under WOT you can, as another option, reprogram your transmission's auto-upshift to the desired rpm in "D" as well

And this information comes from where? Exactly how does it destroy it? I've been building Torqueflites over 30 years. I haven't seen it. Granted if you leave full throttle in 3rd it will heat the fluid. But driving around. No issue.
Doug

DVW I always appreciate your transmission posts. But I have to question this statement of yours.

So for 30 years you have been building full manual torqueflights where they start out in 3rd gear all the time and none of them are smoked or damaged.

Start in 3rd? Sure it can be done, Ive tried it, didn’t like the feedback from the car too much so I don’t do it. You can do it But you have to use care. If you tell someone on the internet that it’s fine to do that then they will send their wife out in it and just leave it in 3 all the time. Then what will happen? And all the other folks that read it and say “yeah that’s how you do it, it’s fine, said so on the Internet.”

Like the idiots that leave the throttle pressure linkage off because “it doesn’t do anything, car drove fine for 300 miles.” Or hook up battery cables backwards, or mix this oil with that oil and their cam went flat and don’t have a clue why. Or just go get a 100+ amp alternator because it must be better than a stock one.

Last edited:
My wife used to drive my blown 340 Volare in 3rd whenever she drove it. Never hurt a thing. Granted it slips the converter more and makes more heat. It has a trans temp gauge. Never showed crazy trans temp either. But we are talking normal driving not hammering it at the hit. At light throttle there wasn't a huge difference in the way the car drove. Of course if it has a 2.76 gear with no trans cooler that wouldn't be wise.
Doug

My wife used to drive my blown 340 Volare in 3rd whenever she drove it. Never hurt a thing. Granted it slips the converter more and makes more heat. It has a trans temp gauge. Never showed crazy trans temp either. But we are talking normal driving not hammering it at the hit. At light throttle there wasn't a huge difference in the way the car drove. Of course if it has a 2.76 gear with no trans cooler that wouldn't be wise.
Doug
Wasn't a big difference, that's just crazy.

Used to have a Manual VB in one of my other cars on the floor. It was mainly a Track car with plates. I enjoyed shifting that as the car was a beast. It wasn't meant to take a half hour drive somewhere. For my Super Bee, I wouldn't want it. It only forces you to shift all the time, as opposed to manual shifting when you want to. Especially on the column, I would not do it. My Bee had the auto on the floor when I got it and I would opt to shift it sometimes, but last year I converted it to a Passon 4 speed. Best thing I've done, in that car.

Having my transmission rebuilt and have the option of getting a reverse manual valve body. The Bee is a column shift and having it be a reverse manual would definitely save the danger now of manual shifting and accidently going from 2 to N when shifting. Being reverse I would at least go from 1(D) or 2 to D(1) and be safe.

For those who have a column shift reverse manual body, how do you like it? If I got tired of shifting all the time, can it be left in D(1)? Assuming the car would just start off real slow since it's technically in 3rd. Does manually shifting put extra wear and tear on the column?
Manual automatic.

Used to have a Manual VB in one of my other cars on the floor. It was mainly a Track car with plates. I enjoyed shifting that as the car was a beast. It wasn't meant to take a half hour drive somewhere. For my Super Bee, I wouldn't want it. It only forces you to shift all the time, as opposed to manual shifting when you want to. Especially on the column, I would not do it. My Bee had the auto on the floor when I got it and I would opt to shift it sometimes, but last year I converted it to a Passon 4 speed. Best thing I've done, in that car.
Wait! Don't you have to shift a Passon 4 speed?
Mike

I find it comical folks don’t want to shift all the time with a manual valve body and then later install a manual trans, or build a manual trans car.

A friend was telling me how fast his 4 speed car is and then go for a ride and can’t shift it with a darn. 3 seconds for every gear change, “so do you think it will run in the 11’s?” Yeah with an automatic trans it will. LOL

If the Bee was a console shifter, i would do the RMVB in a second. I much prefer a manual car, but the column shifter is kind of a PIA. The column was just rebuilt, but the shifts between gears is kind of sloppy, not crisp like I think it should be. And then there's few Mopar peeps around me with column shifters to compare with.

I find it comical folks don’t want to shift all the time with a manual valve body and then later install a manual trans, or build a manual trans car.

.......the shifts between gears is kind of sloppy, not crisp like I think it should be.

Are you talking about the column lever being sloppy/not crisp, or the transmission shift. They are unrelated.

I find it funny that people want automatic transmissions but want to manually shift all of the time. I think it is even funnier that people think manually shifting an automatic car is anything like shifting a manual tranny.

I've owned several car of both styles. I'll take a manual tranny over an automatic in a street car everytime. There is simply no comparison in the fun factor. Manually shifting an automatic all of the time is an un-fun annoyance for me.

Last edited:
Of course.

But it's the column lever that is sloppy. When the column was rebuilt, the rebuilder had a slightly better "notched plate" that he swapped in for me, but still not crisp. Here's a picture, and I'm hoping he swapped in the top piece for my bottom piece.

Are you talking about the column lever being sloppy/not crisp, or the transmission shift. They are unrelated.

prog.jpg

Certainly some inherent sloppiness between the column shift arm to the transmission.

Shifting a Chrysler 4spd just feels amazing, even if it may be a tick (or several ticks) slower. My late model 6spd manual daily driver doesn't compare. With a 727 though I would definitely leave it full auto and modify it to shift where and how it needs to.​

Yea, i watched that 727 tuning video in the other post, and I'm curious if I should do that adjustment. BUT FIRST, I will wait until I get the transmission back, get it installed WITH THE CORRECT linkage, and see how it shifts before I immediately f**k with it. The Bee has a PTC 3200 converter and a 4:10 gear, so it'll get up and go.

Shifting a Chrysler 4spd just feels amazing, even if it may be a tick (or several ticks) slower. My late model 6spd manual daily driver doesn't compare. With a 727 though I would definitely leave it full auto and modify it to shift where and how it needs to.​

I find it funny that people want automatic transmissions but want to manually shift all of the time. I think it is even funnier that people think manually shifting an automatic car is anything like shifting a manual tranny.

I've owned several car of both styles. I'll take a manual tranny over an automatic in a street car everytime. There is simply no comparison in the fun factor. Manually shifting an automatic all of the time is an un-fun annoyance for me.
Fun factory ends real fast if it your daily driver and you have 15 miles of rush hour traffic that takes 45 minutes to complete.

Fun factory ends real fast if it your daily driver and you have 15 miles of rush hour traffic that takes 45 minutes to complete.

I have done similar.

You don't? But you're okay with a RMVB under those conditions in your daily driver?

I have done similar.

You don't? But you're okay with a RMVB under those conditions in your daily driver?
Yes. Daily drove a column shift rmvb car in rush hour Los Angeles area traffic, for years. Leave it in second, let the converter work, and no clutch inoutinoutinoutinout.

I have done similar.

It doesn't have a clutch pedal that constantly needs to be pushed in and held. Hope that answers your question. Yes I like driving my manual trans vehicles but only for leisure and open road. Just wait till the knees do to hell and see how exciting that manual trans is.

Auto Transport Service
Back