• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RobbMc starter

rww124

Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys, have probably been on here previously with regard to finding a starter to fit my 440 with 218 step headers. Finally broke down and ordered a RobbMc however the site is a bit confusing as the picture of the starter shows a solenoid on the starter however it also shows a solenoid with a price listed. Was wondering if anyone on here has recently purchased a RobbMc starter and if yes does it come with solenoid or do you have to purchase the solenoid in addition to the starter. Thank you.

Notes:​

• This starter hugs the engine block to increase clearance with headers.
  • Grinding on the block may be required for big block V8 engines using a 130 tooth ring gear.
  • Will NOT work with any V8 using a 122 tooth ring gear.
  • Will NOT work with Megablock, Indy Max, or World Products blocks when using a 130 tooth ring gear.
  • Will NOT work with 360 blocks when using a 904 automatic transmission.
  • This starter is 7-7/8" long from the mounting surface to the end of the motor.
  • The solenoid can be rotated to any position without taking the starter apart. Where possible, we recommend positioning the solenoid under the starter motor and towards the oil pan. This makes it easier to connect the battery cable and keeps the solenoid away from exhaust heat.
  • This starter uses a nose cone to PROPERLY locate the starter for accurate meshing with the flywheel. The cone also contains a pinion support shaft to prevent the pinion gear from deflecting under load.
  • This starter clears most TTI headers, even when using a 143t flywheel. For more info on TTI headers, go to www.ttiexhaust.com.

Notes:​

• This starter hugs the engine block to increase clearance with headers.
  • Grinding on the block may be required for big block V8 engines using a 130 tooth ring gear.
  • Will NOT work with any V8 using a 122 tooth ring gear.
  • Will NOT work with Megablock, Indy Max, or World Products blocks when using a 130 tooth ring gear.
  • Will NOT work with 360 blocks when using a 904 automatic transmission.
  • This starter is 7-7/8" long from the mounting surface to the end of the motor.
  • The solenoid can be rotated to any position without taking the starter apart. Where possible, we recommend positioning the solenoid under the starter motor and towards the oil pan. This makes it easier to connect the battery cable and keeps the solenoid away from exhaust heat.
  • This starter uses a nose cone to PROPERLY locate the starter for accurate meshing with the flywheel. The cone also contains a pinion support shaft to prevent the pinion gear from deflecting under load.
  • This starter clears most TTI headers, even when using a 143t flywheel. For more info on TTI headers, go to www.ttiexhaust.com.
Thanks for the copy and paste off the RobbMc website and it states that the solenoid can be clocked to any position however nothing specific if the solenoid is included. I already have a Gen 1 RobbMc on my 440 with 11 inch/143 tooth flywheel and TTI 218 headers.

Thanks for the copy and paste off the RobbMc website and it states that the solenoid can be clocked to any position however nothing specific if the solenoid is included. I already have a Gen 1 RobbMc on my 440 with 11 inch/143 tooth flywheel and TTI 218 headers.
Ok. Then it would be best to call Robb and hear it from him.

Who... and why? Why make life so forkin complicated with aftermarket ****...
Not sure who your comment is directed at however when I purchased the car it had TTI 218 headers on it so am pigeon holed into using a RobbMc. Tried a few OEM Mopar starters as well as a Powermaster where none would fit.

It should be ready to bolt in. Last one i bought was. Never heard of anyone selling a starter with no solonoid, cept Fords.

Mine had the solenoid, fits like a glove and I have 2" headers as well.

It should be ready to bolt in. Last one i bought was. Never heard of anyone selling a starter with no solonoid, cept Fords.
When I see a picture of a starter then a picture of a solenoid priced separately it just makes me a bit nervous. With ordering the starter from the U.S. and me living in Canada it's not like I'm hands on and with some companies regardless of Country you never know. Back in the day when you ordered something it came fully complete right down to mounting hardware however nowadays it seems everything is al le cart.

Mine had the solenoid, fits like a glove and I have 2" headers as well.
You have a 1968 to 70 Charger so is the same B body platform as my Super Bee. My TTIs start out at two inches then step to 2 1/8. The number stamped on the inside of the right header flange is 440-218. Per TTIs website there is only on set of 2 x 2 1/8 headers that will fit straight plug 440 source heads. You didn't have to do any block grinding or manipulate any header tubes for RobbMc starter fitment?

Why folks should stick with their original thread.. here we go again!
I don't get why you're chirping in without giving constructive/educated advice. I created a completely new thread for this particular situation.

I don't get why you're chirping in without giving constructive/educated advice. I created a completely new thread for this particular situation.
Exactly my point. Why did you start all over again? Many have "chirped" in in the past few weeks as to your unique case on your previous posting(s). Nobody here has apparently ever seen this one off starter issue... nor have I and can't in any right mind think that an exhaust manufacturer would build to a situation where there is only one magical aftermarket starter that works for your install. 45+ years wrenching on mopars and I've never seen, or heard, of such situation!

You have a 1968 to 70 Charger so is the same B body platform as my Super Bee. My TTIs start out at two inches then step to 2 1/8. The number stamped on the inside of the right header flange is 440-218. Per TTIs website there is only on set of 2 x 2 1/8 headers that will fit straight plug 440 source heads. You didn't have to do any block grinding or manipulate any header tubes for RobbMc starter fitment?
I did not, I have Trick flow 240 heads on mine, not sure if that makes a difference compared to 440Source heads or not.

The solenoid is listed as a replacement, which means to me that it will replace the one that is on the starter should it fail.

I did not, I have Trick flow 240 heads on mine, not sure if that makes a difference compared to 440Source heads or not.
I called Summit and they said the Trick Flow 240 heads have OEM port height. When looking on the TTI website the 440-200 2 inch non step are stock equivalent port height. The 400IB-218 is 2 inchs all the way and fit oem or equivalent angle plug heads with no mention of stepping from 2 to 2 1/8 inches. The 440-218 steps are raised port and not compatible with OEM or equivalent heads and clear angled plugs. 440BR-218 are not compatible with oem or equivalent heads and clear straight or angled plugs. So out of all of these header only the 440-218 are raised port so although not 100% certain this raised port design may be bringing my headers in closer to the block as well as the end height of the tubes may be causing all my starter clearance grief.

Exactly my point. Why did you start all over again? Many have "chirped" in in the past few weeks as to your unique case on your previous posting(s). Nobody here has apparently ever seen this one off starter issue... nor have I and can't in any right mind think that an exhaust manufacturer would build to a situation where there is only one magical aftermarket starter that works for your install. 45+ years wrenching on mopars and I've never seen, or heard, of such situation!
This is directly off the TTI website with reference to the 440-218 headers on my 440 "(11" Flywheel must use a RobbMc Performance starter #3005)".

Auto Transport Service
Back