• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar RobbMc mini starter

rww124

Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
I have a generation 1 RobbMc mini starter on my 440 with TTI headers. The problem I'm having is that the starter will engage intermittently. When the starter doesn't engage all you hear is a buzzing sound. The starter relay has been tested and shows to work correctly. As last resort the relay was jumped resulting in the same intermittent operation. From watching a few U Tube videos it has been stated if the starter does not function as it should after jumping the relay then the starter needs to be replaced. I am not sure if just changing the solenoid would resolve this issue or if the problem is within the starter itself. Any constructive input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I have a 440 with (brand x unknown?) headers as well. I wouldn't doubt that the starter has been cooked from high heat exposure over time. It would probably be easier to change it out. I hope it isn't difficult to reach like mine is.
Good Luck!

I'm guessing there is a reason why you didn't contact the manufacturer directly?
For years, I've had the habit of tinkering with stuff after closing time and when I encountered a problem, the forums were the only way to get a quick explanation from someone that had dealt with the same problem.
If that is the case, I get it.
It can be maddening to have to wait until regular business hours to make contact with people but sometimes that is your only option.

The buzzing sound usually indicates a poor electrical contact in the solenoid. Pull and disassemble that starter. I'll bet the solenoid contacts are burned/worn/pitted. Sometimes the copper disc can be flipped for a fresh surface and the studs can be filed clean.
Mike

Thats an expensive starter. It would certainly be worth the trouble to repair, and find out what kind of support you can get from RobbMC.

I have a 440 with (brand x unknown?) headers as well. I wouldn't doubt that the starter has been cooked from high heat exposure over time. It would probably be easier to change it out. I hope it isn't difficult to reach like mine is.
Good Luck!
Thank you. In order to re route some starter wiring away from the headers and to re clock the solenoid away from the headers required the header and some other components on the driver side to be removed which was a bit*ch of a time. In order to change the solenoid, starter or both would require the same steps.

I'm guessing there is a reason why you didn't contact the manufacturer directly?
For years, I've had the habit of tinkering with stuff after closing time and when I encountered a problem, the forums were the only way to get a quick explanation from someone that had dealt with the same problem.
If that is the case, I get it.
It can be maddening to have to wait until regular business hours to make contact with people but sometimes that is your only option.
When I contacted RobbMc their techs. were somewhat helpful however their advise can only go so far as since the Gen 1 starter was discontinued in 2010 with the introduction the their Gen 2 which is a bit shorter and a bit bigger round. With every little bit shorter helping with clearance to larger diameter now taking away from precious side clearance it almost feels like a wash. I wouldn't want to order a Gen 2 and pay all of the related expenses of getting the starter to Canada only to find out the Gen 2 won't fit. I did talk to Powermaster, as I tried one of their 9523 starters which also wouldn't fit, and they said they sell an offset 9513 billet starter with no nose cone however still feel fitting the correct starter is going to be a trial and error situation. RobbMc did state they also re build their starters however have heard a few stories from friends who have sent an item for repair to the U.S. only to receive something completely different back. In one case it was a numbers matching block. As far as TTI goes when I spoke to them they were of no help stating when they first started making headers the RobbMc was found to fit best on most applications however stated they have not test fitted the RobbMC Gen 2 and are not about to re tool their equipment if the Gen 2 does not fit.

If it's any help, I have MSD starters on both my 65 and 66 Belvederes. The 65 has 2 1/8'' TTIs and they come off easy without touching the starter or wiring, The 66 has Dougs 2" tubes and is similar in fit. I do have heat insulation covers on both starters as installed now (my wife sewed up a couple sleeves to slide over the motors).
Mike
IMG_2640.JPG
043.JPG

What's your engine and TTI combo? Mike and I are running similar combos. My engine is an Indy aluminum low deck wedge with the TTI headers specifically for that. 2 1/8 step units. I'm using the Powermster unit, 9523? I think. Tried all 4 clockings till I achieved the best fit. Still needed to massage one tube. Luckily for me the engine is on a stand, bolted to a k-frame plus the trans is on it too. The Indy block is wider too at the bottom compared to an iron block.

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2516.jpeg

IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg

What's your engine and TTI combo? Mike and I are running similar combos. My engine is an Indy aluminum low deck wedge with the TTI headers specifically for that. 2 1/8 step units. I'm using the Powermster unit, 9523? I think. Tried all 4 clockings till I achieved the best fit. Still needed to massage one tube. Luckily for me the engine is on a stand, bolted to a k-frame plus the trans is on it too. The Indy block is wider too at the bottom compared to an iron block.

View attachment 1613427

View attachment 1613428

View attachment 1613429

View attachment 1613430

View attachment 1613431
Just using a factory cast iron 440 block. The idiot who built the car put 440-218 step headers on using 440 Source heads where on TTIs website it specifically says which heads work with the 218s and 440 Source is not one of them.

Just using a factory cast iron 440 block. The idiot who built the car put 440-218 step headers on using 440 Source heads where on TTIs website it specifically says which heads work with the 218s and 440 Source is not one of them.
Tried the Powermaster 9523 however wouldn't fit and can't find any mini starter besides the RobbMc that will work and even then you have to make adjustments to the header tubes for clearance.

Bummer. Looks like the fun begins, or continues for you.

Bummer. Looks like the fun begins, or continues for you.
The starter issue plus all of the things you couldn't initially see wrong with the car upon purchase it's more of a money pit nightmare.

If it's any help, I have MSD starters on both my 65 and 66 Belvederes.
did u have to grind on the block at the mating surface/starter to get it on so as to sit flat ? i also have the robbmc unit and thats what i have had to do,,,i believe its in there instruction manual and i Do Not want to have to do that on my mega block..

did u have to grind on the block at the mating surface/starter to get it on so as to sit flat ? i also have the robbmc unit and thats what i have had to do,,,i believe its in there instruction manual and i Do Not want to have to do that on my mega block..
I don't remember doing anything to the block to fit the starter. They do not use the OEM seal plate though.
Mike

First thing to do is clean every contact, you might be surprised what results you get.

The Generation 1 RobbMc starter, which was discontinued in 2011 and replaced with their Gen 2 starter having slightly different dimensions, was already on my 440 when I bought the car. The idiot who had the car built put 440-218 step headers on which according to RobbMc's website are mean't to fit raised port heads rather than the 440 source heads he or had someone put on the 440 so that guaranteed a mismatch and clearance issues right there. When my Cousin had the headers off I recall him saying that it looked like there was some grinding done on the block however he did some additional grinding for better clearance. It appears as though you are doing a new build/install so will have the advantage of ordereing all parts that will sync. together.

looked like there was some grinding done on the block
yep, thats what i had to do. wont happen again so i need to get a mini starter that will bolt right on....hedman race hedders 75320 is what i use.

yep, thats what i had to do. wont happen again so i need to get a mini starter that will bolt right on....hedman race hedders 75320 is what i use.
Yea, the TTIs were already on the car so I a stuck with RobbMc as my only starter choice.

The buzzing sound usually indicates a poor electrical contact in the solenoid. Pull and disassemble that starter. I'll bet the solenoid contacts are burned/worn/pitted. Sometimes the copper disc can be flipped for a fresh surface and the studs can be filed clean.
Mike
The RobbMc starter is currently in at a shop being looked at. Got a call that there is a fork made out of cast pot metal where when the solenoid is energized it pulls the fork back which then pivots the bottom of the fork forward which then throws the bendex gear out to engage the flywheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back