• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Shaft Install

ksurfer2

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake. Tonight I am going to be reinstalling my rocker shafts on my 440 following a cam swap. I was very careful when removing the shafts (with rocker arms, shims in place) to place them in a manner in which I can put them back on the studs in the exact same orientation (Top, bottom, front, rear) that they came off. I have installed/removed one side a couple of times to check pushrod length with only 1 pushrod in on the base circle. When I put the shafts back on, the push rods that are not on base circle and springs will hold the shaft above the seats. Once I get the pushrods seated properly, do I just slowly and evenly use the stud nuts to pull the shaft all the way down, compressing springs in the process? Once it is fully seated, break out the torque wrench and tighten to spec (25 ft/lbs). This seems like the only way to do it, but it also seems like it will take more than 25 ft/lbs to compress the springs to seat the shaft. This is a solid roller cam, hughes 1.5 rocker arms

rocker assembly.jpg

That’s all there is to it.

Tighten the bolts down evenly from end to end, about a turn at a time.

For cam change with solid lifters you MUST back off all of the rocker adjusters, seat the shaft and torque the shaft bolts, and then set lash per spec. After cam break in, you then check lash again and adjust if necessary.

I like to lay a piece of solid copper wire (or welding wire, or whatever) lengthwise across the pedestals too, to keep the pushrods from flopping every whichaway as the shaft comes down. Makes it go a little easier..

do I just slowly and evenly use the stud nuts to pull the shaft all the way down
Yes. And 25 ft lbs is plenty to compress the springs.

For cam change with solid lifters you MUST back off all of the rocker adjusters,

Good point - but don't back the adjusters off so far that the adjuster ball doesn't go into the pushrod cup - you don't want the pushrods contacting the rocker.

Last edited:
lay the dipstick across to help keep the pushrods in position
I like to lay a piece of solid copper wire (or welding wire, or whatever) lengthwise across the pedestals too, to keep the pushrods from flopping every whichaway as the shaft comes down. Makes it go a little easier..

Don't be tempted to over tighten the hold downs, doing so can run the risk of ovaling the shafts and causing a bind on a rocker.

Auto Transport Service
Back