• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller cam idea that I'm rolling around in my noggin....

So that same combo would really like a Victor 440 ? I have an 11.5 CR 493 with std. port EZ's with some bowl work and I ground the pinch down some.
I had a Performer RPM on it and switched to a Victor and the car turned into a very good running combo.

That XR286R cam BSB67 referenced would def have improved street manners and higher vacuum than the current Lunati, but I wouldn’t swear it would pull enough to run the brakes on its own.
It would be close.

I wouldn’t expect much power difference between the two cams(XR286R and current Lunati) in that combo.

I know you’re not a Comp fan, so you could look for offerings from other suppliers with similar specs that would/should yield similar results(although it may end up needing to be a custom instead of “off the shelf”).

Last edited:
So that same combo would really like a Victor 440 ? I have an 11.5 CR 493 with std. port EZ's with some bowl work and I ground the pinch down some.
I had a Performer RPM on it and switched to a Victor and the car turned into a very good running combo.

For sure, if you’re trying “to make power” on a BBM stroker…….an RPM is going to be somewhat of a cork.

I’d say, in relation to your little 244 at .050 roller……..you could go up 8-10deg at .050 without really “ruining” the streeability.

That XR286R cam BSB67 referenced would def have improved street manners and higher vacuum than the current Lunati, but I wouldn’t swear it would pull enough to run the brakes on its own.
It would be close.

I wouldn’t expect much power difference between the two cams(XR286R and current Lunati) in that combo.

I know you’re not a Comp fan, so you could look for offerings from other suppliers with similar specs that would/should yield similar results(although it may end up needing to be a custom instead of “off the shelf”).
I have had bad luck with Comp Hydraulic FTs.
Two XE285HLs lost lobes in 2006. This was around the time that a wave of cam and lifter failures were being reported so it seems like there was plenty of failures from every cam manufacturer. For the record, since these two Comp Cams failures, I've also lost TWO Mopar Performance cams, a 292/508 and the '528. The '528 had by far the most miles on it and it and the most time. It is believed that oil issues may have been to blame in every failure.
In 2020, bought a Comp Cams 280/480 for my 383 that had rough, unfinished edges of several lobes.

Comp 7.JPG

Comp 8.JPG

Being admittedly ignorant about the finer points of camshafts, I wasn't confident that I could just take a file and grind down the flash that was left on the edges of the lobes without risking a failed lobe later.

I've defended Comp Cams when others have talked trash....Based on Dwayne's explanation, since Comp sells about 50% of the aftermarket high performance cams, of course they have more failures. They surely have MORE success stories too.
I'm not against any cam manufacturer. My guess is that the roller design gets every one of them away from the high risk of failure that any flat tappet has.

Last edited:

For sure, if you’re trying “to make power” on a BBM stroker…….an RPM is going to be somewhat of a cork.

The Edelbrock Performer RPM barely clears the stock hood, even with a custom air cleaner base. No way in heck would a Victor intake clear.
I am not interested in squeezing out the absolute maximum power. The 68-70 Chargers were never fitted with an A-12 style hood where I could get away with a taller intake. I'm not cutting this hood or putting a scoop on it.

AA 8.JPG

Dwayne wrote:

"That XR286R cam BSB67 referenced would def have improved street manners and higher vacuum than the current Lunati, but I wouldn’t swear it would pull enough to run the brakes on its own.
It would be close.

I wouldn’t expect much power difference between the two cams(XR286R and current Lunati) in that combo."

I'll look up the specs on that XR 286R and see if I can post them up.

For a recap, this is the Lunati cam card. For the record, I do have 1.6 rocker arms but would switch to 1.5 if necessary.

88 R.JPG

KD, I have run a solid roller cam in my 500 motor. But my motor is too different from yours to recommend it.

You didn’t ask for opinions, but I’ll give one. For your application I would recommend the Comp Cam’s Extreme Energy solid roller. It is advertised as a street roller, but it’s no lollipop either. It’s the XR286R. It 286/292 advertised and 248/254 @ 0.050. I think you’ll be close to 0.600” lift with the 1.6’s.

Let the fun begin
:)
As per the Summit racing site:

Cam Style:
Solid roller, Retro-fit
Basic Operating RPM Range:
2,800-6,800
Camshaft Use:
Street/Strip
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:
Duration at 050 inch Lift:
248 int./254 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:
Advertised Exhaust Duration:
Advertised Duration:
286 int./292 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.576 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.582 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.576 int./0.582 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):
Intake Valve Lash:
0.016 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash:
0.018 in.
Grind Number:
XR286R

With the 1.6 rockers, I'd be at 0.614 intake and 0.620.
Is there a published spec on the maximum lift I can have with the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads made in the early 2000s ?
The lift I have with the Lunati is 0.576 Intake, 0.600 exhaust with these 1.6 rockers.

I would speak to Chris Ryan at Comp Cams & get a custom grind. About the same price as a shelf grind, I have had many cams made over the years. Only 7-10 days if they have the blank in stock.
So easy to over-cam a 440, see the warning below from Sig Erson. Think about why that warning is only in the BBM section & not in any other brand....

I would get a single pattern cam if you have headers. With 1.6 rockers, I would run 240 @ 050, 106 LSA, & keep the lash tight to reduce noise.

img282.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back