• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller rocker knocking noise

Moparbuster

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
Just installed comp ultra roller rockers on my 440 with factory cast heads couple weeks ago now I have slight knocking sound coming from top of motor do I have rockers adjusted wrong?

I would pull the valve covers and check you didn't have a jam nut come loose!

None appear to be loose I didnt check with wrench though .do I check jam but or allen head

Both, also check lash on valves. Also clearance on pushrods going through the head.

What's procedure if you dont mind me asking silly question mechanicing isn't my forte

Any chance a rocker is hitting the valve cover or a baffle? Pretty common...

Yes .I actually had someone else set preload I'm thinking maybe they didnt set right. Should I just loosen them all up and start over I have Howard's hydraulic roller cam and lifters my cuz is diesel mects a hanic not mopar mechanic I just spent over 1200$ on rocker arms and shafts and pushrods

Yes .I actually had someone else set preload I'm thinking maybe they didnt set right. Should I just loosen them all up and start over I have Howard's hydraulic roller cam and lifters my cuz is diesel mects a hanic not mopar mechanic I just spent over 1200$ on rocker arms and shafts and pushrods

Did you measure for pushrod length or just use the stock pushrods? That matters as far as the geometry is concerned.

Yes I had gold crane rocker arm setup but my dumbass being new to mopars had my shafts on upside down so I bought comp cams ultras they have cup style ends and gold crane had ball type so I had to get new pushrods the length is fine

I did check length with appropriate measuring tool an adjustable pushrod I've put maybe 250 miles on since rockerarm swap

Dont think so engine isn't missing or backfiring and will roast back tires at 35 mph. Just makes faint knocking sound from valve cover made me think rockers may be a little loose I am new at the mopar game but damn it's an expensive one lol

Dont think so engine isn't missing or backfiring and will roast back tires at 35 mph. Just makes faint knocking sound from valve cover made me think rockers may be a little loose I am new at the mopar game but damn it's an expensive one lol
You can build a 350 small block for way less than a Mopar. Welcome to the money pit.

I already know this have had many 400 small blocks that ran great but I figured 11 to 1 .40 over 440 should blow the chevy smallblocks away but.....

Auto Transport Service
Back