• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

roof rail installation help on 73 RR

b_body_hopeful

Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
Well, I will be installing my roof rails and would like help on what goes first, second, third etc. in order to install them.

I have two types of tape, a grey one that has sticky tape on one side, a black one that also has sticky tape on one side, the roof rail itself and of course the roof rail weather stripping.

What goes on next to the roof metal itself? then .......

These are not drip rails...these are the rails that the weather stripping gets glued on.

Found out what, where , and how to complete the drip/roof rail install.

There are two different products used to install the roof rail and weatherstripping.

In these pictures, the piece of aluminum simulates the car roof. Letters show the piece of foam described in this example.

(A) The first one is a 1/8" x 7/8" single sided adhesive dark gray foam tape that is applied to the back of the stainless drip rail. The stainless drip rail is then screwed to the roof. This foam tape seals the drip rail to the roof.
first.jpg

(B) The second one is a 1/8" x 7/8" black poly foam strips seal between the galvanized weatherstrip channel (that the door window weatherstrip snaps into) and the stainless drip rail. Use some yellow or black 3M weatherstrip adhesive to hold the strip to the back of the weatherstrip channel during assembly should be all that's required.
second.jpg

Then use black 3M weatherstrip adhesive to attach the drip rail weatherstrip to the galvanized weatherstrip channel and wait until dry.

Hope this helps someone who did not know about the method of installing the drip rail galvanized weatherstrip channel.

BTW, I purchased the tape and foam strips from ebay. The parts are from Detroit Muscle Technologies.
Description
DMT 71 74 B Body Drip Rail and Weathstrip Channel Seals Cuda Challenger

Auto Transport Service
Back