• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotella for break in fresh 440

Grabbergreendream

Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
That is what my builder called for. Is it a good break in oil?
It threw me off guard, as I was planning on grabbing some Driven break-in...
Thaughts anyone?

Only issue is it foams like crazy and leaves a lot of foamy oil
in top of engine that returns slowly. fine on street but I would not
race the car with it in. There are a lot of dedicated Break in oils we like better =
But not cheap.

Last edited:
We used to use Rotella for break in on 8000 rpm dirt cars with no problems whatsoever.

I’ve used Rotella for break-in but I added a bottle of Comp Cams break-in lube. These are on stock rebuilds with stock’ish weight springs. Those engines all run Rotella with no additive afterwards. No drama to this point.

I remember reading something that they took a lot of zinc out of it.
I used to run it in my mostly stock 413 when I couldn't get 20-50, but the last time I used it, (2020), car didn't seem to like it. It smoked a lot out of the breathers. But I was really beating on it.

I used driven break in oil on the last rebuild, and I'm using driven HR oil afterwards. No complaints.

Years ago, Rotella used to have a lot of zinc in it. But as EPA has cleaned up diesel engines as well, I think this oil has been reformulated with less of the additives required for our old flat tappet camshafts. I used to run it in my engines, but don't anymore. I now use Castrol GTX with GM Engine Oil Supplement.

Last edited:
NO, do NOT use Rotella!!!!! Get the Joe Gibbs Driven "Break-In" oil you were initially going to go with. They offer 4 viscosity's now:
1) BR-20 (5W-20) 04346
2) BR-30 (5W-30) 01806
3) BR-40 (10W-40) 03706
4) BR (15W-50) 00106

After break-in, change the filter, and continue with the break-in oil for 400 miles. Then change the oil and filter to a HR (HotRod) oil also with zinc.

Driven Racing Oil

NO, do NOT use Rotella!!!!! Get the Joe Gibbs Driven "Break-In" oil you were initially going to go with. They offer 4 viscosity's now:
1) BR-20 (5W-20) 04346
2) BR-30 (5W-30) 01806
3) BR-40 (10W-40) 03706
4) BR (15W-50) 00106

After break-in, change the filter, and continue with the break-in oil for 400 miles. Then change the oil and filter to a HR (HotRod) oil also with zinc.

Driven Racing Oil
Agreed. I used the Joe Gibbs Driven "Break-In" oil in my POLY as per a couple Poly experts. As @69Bee says change the filter than change the oil at 400/500 miles.

Last edited:
I still use conventional Mobil 10W-30 with a zinc additive. Never had an issue with it. 440'

What about using zinc additives to you favorite oil?
If your favorite oil is off the shelf modern oil it has too much detergent, and that will fight you additive and it won’t do what it says it might do for you.

Buy a dedicated break in oil that’s ready to go out of the bottle. Joe Gibbs Driven

how do you know your fav oil and your fav zinc additive will work together or fight each other?

I notice I had a disagree regarding my question to adding zinc additive to one's favorite oil.

I don't agree or disagree but why do you disagree?

Thanks

I notice I had a disagree regarding my question to adding zinc additive to one's favorite oil.

I don't agree or disagree but why do you disagree?

Thanks
His Response as to the red x is above your post

Auto Transport Service
Back