• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotisserie question

c.moo

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
Have car on rotisserie , turn car clockwise at 2 and 4 o'clock it will stay on it's on, get to 5 o'clock it wants to go to 6 o'clock and beyond in the vertical position by it self . I stop it at 6 o'clock position , Question is it top heavy or bottom heavy ,do I raise it up or down ,it has a all thread adjustment rod . Thanks

Have car on rotisserie , turn car clockwise at 2 and 4 o'clock it will stay on it's on, get to 5 o'clock it wants to go to 6 o'clock and beyond in the vertical position by it self . I stop it at 6 o'clock position , Question is it top heavy or bottom heavy ,do I raise it up or down ,it has a all thread adjustment rod . Thanks
I played around and can get them close. Every set up is different. Having help is recommended as they have some inertia as they rotate. Post some pictures of your set up on each end of the car.

Last edited:
I;m thinking it's top heavy from what you said
But may be off center as well
Pics would help

Every time you add parts or take away parts the balance changes. I added lock down bolts to my rotisserie to hold it anywhere I want it. My rotisserie is home made, so it never balanced very well to start with.

Here are two pics of my car set up. You can see the front and rear screw jacks and the difference between them. You can not go by what mine looks like, as your attachment points can be different and that makes all the difference in the world. The way you see mine it was a one man easy spin 360 degrees. Took some playing around with to get it that way. As said that anything you add or subtract will change how it rotates.

000_1177.JPG

000_1180.JPG

Last edited:
All I know about rotisseries is that Costco has some biggums.

So at 3 o'clock, the car is right on it's side? Door handle straight up? And at 6 o'clock, the roof would be right down. Correct? From what I think your saying, It sounds like its top heavy. Therefore needed to be lowered. Just do it in little steps and retry. Try not to be in a hurry. I know when I first did mine it was a lot of trial and error.
And yes as you add parts you will have to readjust. I now have the front end, fuel tank, fuel/brake lines emergency cables installed. I'm calling it quits at that. I still rotate it all the way around but makes me nervous.

k frame.jpg

tank.jpg

upside down a few more times!.jpg

So at 3 o'clock, the car is right on it's side? Door handle straight up? And at 6 o'clock, the roof would be right down. Correct? From what I think your saying, It sounds like its top heavy. Therefore needed to be lowered. Just do it in little steps and retry. Try not to be in a hurry. I know when I first did mine it was a lot of trial and error.
And yes as you add parts you will have to readjust. I now have the front end, fuel tank, fuel/brake lines emergency cables installed. I'm calling it quits at that. I still rotate it all the way around but makes me nervous.

View attachment 1524275

View attachment 1524276

View attachment 1524277

At 6;00 o'clock the car door handle is at top , your picture in the middle , 3 o'clock is how it normally it would set and your top picture is close to what i'm getting at, it gets to that point and wants to go to the middle picture on its own. My understanding is that it should stay at any position without the gear lock on. It will stay on any position until it gets to picture one position , trying to figure out if it's top heavy or bottom heavy.

At 6;00 o'clock the car door handle is at top , your picture in the middle , 3 o'clock is how it normally it would set and your top picture is close to what i'm getting at, it gets to that point and wants to go to the middle picture on its own. My understanding is that it should stay at any position without the gear lock on. It will stay on any position until it gets to picture one position , trying to figure out if it's top heavy or bottom heavy.
Thats not going to happen unless you magically find the center. Then every thing you do changes it. Post a picture of what you are working on.

The other reason why its going to be impossible to keep it from rotating is its irregular shape. In order to to be neutral on its balance it would have to be perfectly round. So thats not happening here. And for what its worth where ever you set it both locks should be engaged at all times. Lets see what you got going.

When mine was "perfectly balanced" she could sit anywhere on the 360* That's when she was empty. Mine has the locking wheel (sprocket cog) you can see it in the top photo. I only had the one. But there was jamb bolts on both ends to help steady her. I never used them only when I took her home. Nice to have. Actually a must. When she's at the edge of balance it would take nothing to move it. While sanding, trying on parts for fitment and the like. There was enough drag that she sit where you put her. Yet I could spin it like the wheel of fortune.
I'm kind of screwed up by you description. 12 o'clock high roof up=normal position. I need to make a legend to follow lol

Yes pictures would help. Maybe you mastered it by now?

I must add... Now that she has a extra 500-800 lbs on her I need to use a 36" pry bar to help me spin her. She's not on bearings right. So I need the extra leverage. 10-4

Last edited:
When mine was "perfectly balanced" she could sit anywhere on the 360* That's when she was empty. Mine has the locking wheel (sprocket cog) you can see it in the top photo. I only had the one. But there was jamb bolts on both ends to help steady her. I never used them only when I took her home. Nice to have. Actually a must. When she's at the edge of balance it would take nothing to move it. While sanding, trying on parts for fitment and the like. There was enough drag that she sit where you put her. Yet I could spin it like the wheel of fortune.
I'm kind of screwed up by you description. 12 o'clock high roof up=normal position. I need to make a legend to follow lol

Yes pictures would help. Maybe you mastered it by now?

I must add... Now that she has a extra 500-800 lbs on her I need to use a 36" pry bar to help me spin her. She's not on bearings right. So I need the extra leverage. 10-4
Got it , have a whirly jig rotisserie that has the sprocket cog lock on it , not going to put it on it's top, just on it's side . Can't do the picture thang have to get daughter help me with that. The car is a 63 Plymouth bel. 2 door post sedan. Thanks everybody. Now the fun begins getting bottom clean up.

Yes! They are great for that. Just stood there with propane torch a selection of scrapers and a wire brush and scotch pads. Did the whole underside of my 70 Charger in about 12 hours. With the odd beer break. :drinks: I collected a rounded 5 gallon bucket full of undercoating!
I have stated it before several times. One of the most useful tools I own! Good luck on the scraping. Yes Get your daughter to give you a hand and post some pictures up. I think they may have a few videos on Youtube about balancing a rotisserie. Give it a search. Basically all the same.

lots of work.jpg

undercoating bucket.jpg

I have an assortment of flexible scrapers of various widths..... tip: round the corners on the scrapers, and keep them sharp........ X2 on the propane torch

Yes the more the merrier. I found that table spoon did beautifully in the curve of the rear wheel wells. Just warm the metal till the undercoating starts to soften up. It will scrape right off. So much debate over whether your putting to much heat to the metal??? Just need to warm the metal. No glowing or no where's close to that. Then I would wipe it down with a readily available inexpensive degreaser that I had kicking around once it cooled down.:lol:

Yes! They are great for that. Just stood there with propane torch a selection of scrapers and a wire brush and scotch pads. Did the whole underside of my 70 Charger in about 12 hours. With the odd beer break. :drinks: I collected a rounded 5 gallon bucket full of undercoating!
I have stated it before several times. One of the most useful tools I own! Good luck on the scraping. Yes Get your daughter to give you a hand and post some pictures up. I think they may have a few videos on Youtube about balancing a rotisserie. Give it a search. Basically all the same.

View attachment 1524945

View attachment 1524946
Got the under coating off couple years ago , using heat gun , putty knifes and wire brushes ,it was on a car lift than, while it was on lift welded frame connecters on , When i put car on rotisserie and put it on it side the welds on frame connecters look bad , starting to grind welds smooth , hard for me to weld from the bottom can do a lot better job now where I can get to it , much , much easier on a rotisserie.

Auto Transport Service
Back