• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ruined Paint

BubbaMope

Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
I bought an AMD power bulge hood. I was really disappointed when I took the corners off the box and found damage in the front left corner. This was damaged before it went in the box. It was on a 50% off sale price but no damage disclaimer... So there is no free lunch. I'm not a paint and body man as in at all but I pounded straight enough that I don't see the damage anymore. I used a gray primer and the a black sealer. I liked the look of the black so I just painted it in a semi gloss topcoat. Then, after 3 hours of drying in 95 degrees, when I went to move it I put a finger print in the new paint. All this long thread to ask, can I save this or do I have to start all over?

unfortunately you will need to remove the uncured paint. sounds like it didn’t get enough catalyst added or incompatible
Materials

unfortunately you will need to remove the uncured paint. sounds like it didn’t get enough catalyst added or incompatible
Materials
Thanks, the guy at the paint store picked all the stuff out, cans were all the same brand and the mix was dead on. I do live in Louisiana so humidity could have been a factor.

Sooooo, no matte clear coat, just the black semi-gloss top coat? I take it this was a single stage paint or am I missing something.

It helps to know what materials you're dealing with.
I could use a black semi ss coating with accelerator and you could absolutely put it in service in an hour at 95 degrees. Snap dry products are typically for those with a bit of experience but I'm simply using as an example.

Auto Transport Service
Back