• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running a thermostat or not???

ironside

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys just curious what your doing in the thermostat dept. Right now on my alum head BB I have a be cool rad, csr electric pump and a small dual fan setup with no thermostat.
At the Nats it wanted to run hot, 200-210, range and had a little difficulty getting it to cool quicker. I'm thinking with it open water is going to fast to get adequately cooled in the radiator.
I used distiller water and 1 bottle of redline water wetter.

Thanks for the input.

Your right with no stat the water don't stay in the radiator long enough to cool. I used to cut the center out of the stat and use just the flat plate as a restrictor, and that helped but still was not enough. Eventually I went back to a stat but used the 160 to get the water thru the system sooner, this has always worked best for me in my applications........

Thanks for all the replies. I knew some knocked centers out drilled holes etc...
Going to put one in tomorrow night then we'll see how she acts this weekend. Thanks!

I would tend to agree with most everyone you need a thermostat or restrict the flow, to keep it in the radiator slightly longer...

i run a 5/8inch restrictor in place of a thermostat in my race engine you can buy them in kits of 3 for like 10 bucks i think it was just looks like a big washer but to each his own cheers

Restrictor

i run a 5/8inch restrictor in place of a thermostat in my race engine you can buy them in kits of 3 for like 10 bucks i think it was just looks like a big washer but to each his own cheers

That's exactly the type of thing what I was referring to... I run an 4 core down flow 22" aluminum radiator w/electric water pump & dual electric fans 1- 16" 2900cfm puller w/shroud & 1- 13" 2500cfm pusher auxiliary for hot days, traffic or what ever, with a hollowed out thermostat "with the center removed" it's like 3/4" if I remember correctly car will run at 185*-190* max, even on 100 degree days, if it gets over that I turn on the aux. fan...

Auto Transport Service
Back