• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running HOT

I had this issue in the past myself & the car would creep past 215 on the temp gauge. After shutdown wouldn't restart without full throttle. After replacing everything coolant related, i investigated timing & found my vacuum advance was sticking.... Just a thaught...
Sounds like timing/ignition to me...

Some others have mentioned ignition.... I have had a factory ignition box that would cut out & stop running when it got hot (not on re-start).

Yes, you need to be POSITIVE if you are missing spark or fuel on a hot re-start. If I understand correctly, on a hot re-start it cranks just fine...but doesn't fire up, right? Then forget about the heat soaked starter idea. You're looking at ignition as mentioned or a really weird vapor lock issue (depending on the results of your test looking for spark & fuel when it won't re-start)

Some others have mentioned ignition.... I have had a factory ignition box that would cut out & stop running when it got hot (not on re-start).

Yes, you need to be POSITIVE if you are missing spark or fuel on a hot re-start. If I understand correctly, on a hot re-start it cranks just fine...but doesn't fire up, right? Then forget about the heat soaked starter idea. You're looking at ignition as mentioned or a really weird vapor lock issue (depending on the results of your test looking for spark & fuel when it won't re-start)

Thanks for all the replies I will look in to the possible coil fail at high temp. I still have the original coil and will re-install that one.But I'm still leaning towards a fuel problem. Sometimes the only way it will start is if I disconnect the fuel line and pour fuel "prime" towards the fuel pump. It's like all the fuel is boiling out of the supply line after the pump. Is there something like a check valve I can install ?

Fuel vapor separator still installed and how about the charcoal can vent filter. What is the status of your air cleaner?

Worked on it again today. Set timing to 20* at idle 1000 rpm. ran 34* at 3000 rpm. ran good. After running for 30 mins. shut it down and would not restart. I had plenty of fuel in the carb. Checked for spark from coil and there was nothing. Installed another coil ( cold ) and it had very little and intermittent and weak spark.
What do you guys think could be causing this problem. Electronic ignition control module ? Voltage regulator ?

Did it spin, but not light? Did you play with the throttle?

Did it spin, but not light? Did you play with the throttle?

Cranks good . strong battery but like I said very weak and intermittent spark. After cool down of 1 hour it fires right up.

I have had luck holding the pedal to the floor. I blame the ethanol boiling at 172, long before our cars get hot.

Weak spark and you had the same problem with a second coil. I would guess ecm. Would be nice if you could borrow one from someone. I would buy one and if that’s not it, it’s good to have a spare any way.

I agree on the module,when it get hot it breaks down

20 degree initial timing sounds high to me. I think mine is at about 14.

Mine is 22. I like to get it as high as I can with out causing starting problems when hot.

I like to run higher initial timing also, helps get rid of hot start.

Module, that's what was wrong with mine, don't know why I couldn't think of that before.

Module, that's what was wrong with mine, don't know why I couldn't think of that before.

Bad pickup modules are known for the "won't start when hot". Even the newer cars will have this problem. Let it cool down and it starts again.

Worked on it again today. Set timing to 20* at idle 1000 rpm. ran 34* at 3000 rpm. ran good. After running for 30 mins. shut it down and would not restart. I had plenty of fuel in the carb. Checked for spark from coil and there was nothing. Installed another coil ( cold ) and it had very little and intermittent and weak spark.
What do you guys think could be causing this problem. Electronic ignition control module ? Voltage regulator ?
As a half-dozen other guys mentioned, it's probably the ignition module if you don't have any spark. That is very similar to the problem I had years ago. I think that's it, especially since changing to a known-good coil didn't help. It's not the voltage regulator...that would just run the battery dead.

My money is on ECM or pickup in the distributor. Or ballast resistor.

Weak spark and you had the same problem with a second coil. I would guess ecm. Would be nice if you could borrow one from someone. I would buy one and if that’s not it, it’s good to have a spare any way.

Ordered a new ecm from NAPA Echlin Ignition today supposedly is built to take the heat. I hope it does it was 3 times as much as the other ones they offered.

Auto Transport Service
Back