• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

running lean or ok?

krowbar

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can tell by the pic,but this looks lean to me. Idling in garage the insulator is black along with the ground tab. When I take it down the road for about 5 miles cruising and getting on it here and there, the plugs look like this. 20131024_180303.jpg20131024_180101.jpg The insulator is pretty light and the ground tab is super clean,but the base of the plug at the bottom of the threads is black.

Hard to say,the proper way to read a plug is to shut the car off at the stripe,or near the top of high gear.At the track if you drive back to the pits,it alters the true reading.

Can you see how far down the "heat" goes into the threads ??, what color is the soot on the insulators ??, is it gray or tan or black ??, is there any silver specs ??, How far is the discoloration down the insulator ??, what heat range of plugs are you running ?? from those photos, they look like "extended tips", that can alter the appearance some on the insulator too... Does the car lay down or surge at speeds ??, hard to tell from a photo, it might be ok, if you don't see heat going down the threads about half way down or you don't have any surging or flat spots it's probably not too lean... Like Hemi-itis said to get a really good plug reading, idling around or cruising, your still on the idle curcuits allot, gives you a false reading, you need to shut the engine off after a "hard full throttle run", don't re-fire it, pull the plugs or at least a few, especially the rear plugs, right afterwards, to get a proper reading... here's a couple descriptions & photos, some are hard to read {4th photo down, or the one with the blue boxes around the descriptions, is a really good one}... Hope it may help explain what I'm asking & what to look for some... Good luck

Attachments

• Spark plugs reading #1a.jpg
    Spark plugs reading #1a.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 335
  • Spark plugs reading #1d.jpg
    Spark plugs reading #1d.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Spark plugs reading #1c.jpg
    Spark plugs reading #1c.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 258
  • Spark plugs reading #1b.jpg
    Spark plugs reading #1b.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Spark plugs reading #1e.jpg
    Spark plugs reading #1e.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Spark plugs reading #5.jpg
    Spark plugs reading #5.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Spark plugs reading #1f.jpg
    Spark plugs reading #1f.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 272

:iamwithstupid: ouch, that will hurt !!

- - - Updated - - -

any kind of sharp edges on any pistons are not a good idea either, it gives aids heat & detonation, also it's a place to concentrate heat too, they always should be rounded off & smoothed out, including valve reliefs, no matter what kind of engine you dealing with... PERIOD

Auto Transport Service
Back