• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust removal by using molasses

Yep, I did put some in my radiator, after making the mistake of using 100% water in it for it's first 2 years. It started leaking from rusting out the chrome water pump nozzle holding the thermostat. I fixed it by filing it down to a good sealing surface again. Then filled it with just coolant and a tad of molasses. I have not taken the cap off since getting the level right a year ago. My moto is "if it ain't leaking don't fool with it"....

IMG_20220614_111142960.jpg

Yes. I only put in a cup of molasses. I didn't put any water in. Just pink anti-freeze.

I also put a few drops on one of my front running lights where the stamped steel bulb receptacle is pressed into the pot-metal light housing/frame. Corrosion from the dissimilar metals was keeping the bulb from grounding. Been good 4 years since. My car never gets wet tho. No driving in rain or washing.

IMG_20230524_184207077.jpg

Drained and replaced the molasses mixture in my tank.
1691807444215.png

At least the price hasn't gone up in the past couple of years.
1691807583394.png

It was over a year on the last mixture, with quite a few items being de-rusted.
That tank was meant to hold bulk motor oil in a shop. I got a couple of free tanks, so I sawed an opening into the top and put a hinge on it.

I remembered years ago now, seeing
my granddad tossing tractor parts
in a big washtub who's contents
smelled strangely like molasses.
Curious that a post can bring back
that memory and revealing the
reason. Thanks for posting.

Auto Transport Service
Back