• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust removal by using molasses

Know what other common grocery item works great as rust remover? Coca-Cola. It's the phosphoric acid that does the trick.

A glass bead cabinet works w/o chemicals too, and is a whole lot faster, LOL...:grin:

Straight normal ol' Vinegar works a treat and fast. Usually over night depending on the amount of rust. I try to check it every 4-8 hours tho just in case. Will take it back to its raw form.

Costs stuff all (less then a buck a litre here) and work real fast with out chemicals. Same deal as Coke basically because coke contains vinegar in its ingredients. You could dilute it down so make it work slower if you needed to.

Hmmm ok, the 'Cola' receipt I'm familiar with calls for an amount of vinegar. I assumed all cola used variations of the same receipt. My bad!

I've used coke to clean out old gas tanks but i like the molasses trick better.

Ya know that's the trade off. Evapo-Rust does the job quickly with chemicals. molasses does the job slowly w/o chemicals. I'm not saying one is better than the other it's a personal choice. I have a ton of time and the molasses is the route I'll take.

I'm with you on this one if your in a hurry.I like Evapo-rust it's great and only about $10.00 for a liter and works so fast. I did my whole Sundance resto with it even after sandblasting some parts to make sure I get in all the nooks and crannies.I've used Vinegar but did't like the black it leaves behind on the metal. I've also done the battery charger/water trick and it works well also but again it leave the metal black......I'm going to try the Molasses trick though.

@ 1:55 lol

Heres what I do. I,m impatient. I use washing soda rather than baking soda in a 55 gallon plastic drum.http://youtu.be/R5I5WBG5HPw

thanks Daredevil, i learned something new today!!

does washing water mix better than baking soda?? the solution that he used looked rather clumpy. i would think an even mix would work out better, no?

Ya know that's the trade off. Evapo-Rust does the job quickly with chemicals. molasses does the job slowly w/o chemicals. I'm not saying one is better than the other it's a personal choice. I have a ton of time and the molasses is the route I'll take.

when god made time, he made a lot of it..

I bought 5 gallons at the feed mill today, $20. I cut the top off a 20 gallon Zep laundry detergent drum and mixed up a batch and dropped a trans crossmember in it.

My first test

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 651
wow...i might try that...seems safer and will have less fumes..

My first test

how did this turn out? Didn't see finished pic

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I decided to use fruitcake sweetener as a rust remover.

After reading several articles on different sites that touted the effectiveness of diluted molasses to safely remove rust, I had my curiosity up. Apparently a chelation process in the molasses strips out the oxygen molecules in rust, leaving the base metal behind. Just like Evapo-rust, which I've used with great success but found it cost too much for the amount you get.

Anyway, after checking awhile, I noticed that lots of people had heard of it, a few had tried it (some had good examples pictured) and whether from personal experience hearsay or whatever, there was a lack of anyone claiming that it DIDN'T work. So I thought I'd give it a try.

First step, I went to the local feed store where I usually buy horse supplies, and bought a pail of molasses for $20.

Next, I dumped it into a feed tub, and added four more pails of water. Most articles suggested 5 to 10 parts water, but I stopped at four simply because that's all the room there was.

I had a couple of parts to test, so into the tub went a rusty seat bracket and a rear transmission mount, as well as a small pail of rusty nuts and bolts.

interesting are you still using this method and did you perfect or modify it?

what do you do with residue / solution when done?

what happens if left for extended duration / past when rust is gone / does it eat metal too or only the rust?

- - - Updated - - -

Heres what I do. I,m impatient. I use washing soda rather than baking soda in a 55 gallon plastic drum.http://youtu.be/R5I5WBG5HPw

thanks and saved for later / will this only get rid of rust or will it eventually eat the metal also?

A glass bead cabinet works w/o chemicals too, and is a whole lot faster, LOL...:grin:

any advice and info on costs and media?

tips to run a blast cabinet and media for different parts?

I've been planning to buy a cabinet and do things that will fit and i think i'l watch craiglist and maybe put my own wanted ad out there

thanks Daredevil, i learned something new today!!

does washing water mix better than baking soda?? the solution that he used looked rather clumpy. i would think an even mix would work out better, no?

Mario, washing soda is sodium carbonate and basking soda is sodium bi-carbonate.
Either will work but baking soda will produce more hydrogen in the process.

Good write up here on electrolytic rust removal

http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

interesting are you still using this method and did you perfect or modify it?

what do you do with residue / solution when done?

what happens if left for extended duration / past when rust is gone / does it eat metal too or only the rust?

- - - Updated - - -

Commenting on my part...I didn't do anything with the leftover residue. It's still in the original container, and still works. Due to evaporation, I did add more water as needed. It often has a dried skin on top that I remove to get at the liquid. When it's time to dump it, well, it's basically sugar water, so I don't see a problem.

As for extended durations, it does nothing to the metal. The process is only removing oxygen from the rust, leaving the metal. When the rust is gone, the process stops.

Due to winter, I haven't done much out there lately, but I'll be back at it soon! Thanks for your interest.

-=Photon440=-

Great post guy, I sure did learn something new today

Wow, all these great ideas! Anyone try any of these on bulkhead connectors?

Here you go Tallhair. It was all siezed up before but now its loose. I left it in too long and it disolved the spring on the release. The first time i took it out the paint was all intact too.

IMG_1565.jpgIMG_1566.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back