• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rv 727 bb housing on sb 727?

Hemmit

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering if a rv 727 shorty bell housing would fit on a small block 727 to make it bolt up to a big block?

Nope, different outer bolt patterns/ starter location. Dedicated housings between the two engine blocks

I think that they make an adaptor plate for bell housing and the torque convertor to make a SB engine fit a big block 727, or visa versa.
I saw it when doing homework on a gen 3 Hemi swap.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
What is an RV shorty bell housing? Is it like the JW performance ultra bell?
I was wondering the same thing! Thinking he's talking about a short tail shaft RV trans.....?

Cheaper just to find a big block case and swap the parts. Less than an hour.
Doug

I was wondering the same thing! Thinking he's talking about a short tail shaft RV trans.....?

I missed the "bell housing" part the first time I read that!!
I agree, I THINK he is talking about the tail shaft.

I have noticed in a lot of 440/727,s pulled from RV/Motor homes that the bellhousing has a hole in the top, that the regular ones do not.
I figured this was just drilled vs its own bell housing, but IDK.
Anyone know why this is?

Pic
440 and 727.jpg

I missed the "bell housing" part the first time I read that!!
I agree, I THINK he is talking about the tail shaft.

I have noticed in a lot of 440/727,s pulled from RV/Motor homes that the bellhousing has a hole in the top, that the regular ones do not.
I figured this was just drilled vs its own bell housing, but IDK.
Anyone know why this is?

The hole in the top of 727 bell housing is for ignition timing, since front of motor is not accessible (thought that was factory). Apparently short or longer tail shafts were used on different RV's.

Thanks 66Satellite47, that makes perfect sense.
Was there any additional marks on torque convertor(to aid in the timing), vs the standard set up?

I've seen short tail shaft transmissions in extended cab lwb trucks with the two piece drive shafts...

Yes. Sorry I was referring to the short tail. Will the internals swap over from rv 727 to small block or big block 727?

Yes. Sorry I was referring to the short tail. Will the internals swap over from rv 727 to small block or big block 727?
Yes and they are probably the heavier duty pieces. Of course the main shaft will be too short. Caution must be used when mixing and matching parts as there are spline differences and planetary differences.
Mike

[QUOTE="Bad B-rad, post: 911611072, member: 33923
Was there any additional marks on torque convertor(to aid in the timing), vs the standard set up?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Thanks 66Satellite47, that makes perfect sense.
Was there any additional marks on torque convertor(to aid in the timing), vs the standard set up?

As I recall, marks were on the converter, & seems like some on the case too around the hole, don't recall for sure.

As said the small block & big block are different, don't fit. Most 727 internals can be used big block or small block. The number of clutches, servo levers & springs, planetary gears & valve bodies vary. The RV trans should have 4 front clutches, probably 4 pinion planetaries. For a regular car, the output shaft & housing need to be changed. For HP applications use a 3.8 front servo lever.

As said the small block & big block are different, don't fit. Most 727 internals can be used big block or small block. The number of clutches, servo levers & springs, planetary gears & valve bodies vary. The RV trans should have 4 front clutches, probably 4 pinion planetaries. For a regular car, the output shaft & housing need to be changed. For HP applications use a 3.8 front servo lever.

Do you know the difference between the 4 and 3 pinion planetaries, as far as is the ratio different, or is it a strength thing, by spreading the load with more teeth in contact?

Auto Transport Service
Back